Keith Ellison is second in the NFL in tackles

Keith Ellison is second in the NFL in tackles with 68. He has by far the most for an OLB (next most is 56, which is good for 11th place). Either a) the tackles statistic in the NFL is completely arbitrary and doesn't mean anything at all or b) maybe he is at the very least a pretty solid backup LB in the NFL and doesn't deserve to be cut as I would venture to say 90% of you on here think he should be. Or c) sarcastic response...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

c) maybe we allow more rushing yards than most teams and our D is on the field longer which allows Ellison more opportunities.

c) Offenses run at him because he's the weakest link

Not sure either of those meet the "sarcastic response" criteria...

Keith Elison is a good backup and has a place on the roster he just shouldn't be the starter. Elison is the epitome of a backup can come in and play solid for 1-4 games but he is a player with flaws and over 16 games he gets exposed big time.

IMO, this is the best summary of Ellison I've ever read on The Wall.

I don't hate the guy by any means and would like for him to stick around on special teams and as a backup, but he needs to be replaced in our starting lineup.

Plain and Simple.

I knew this was coming. To give you an idea of how meaningless this stat is, the two players behind him I've never heard of, and they play for Oakland and Tampa Bay.

This stat is meaningless because you haven't heard of Kirk Morrison and Barrett Ruud? How about Curtis Lofton? These are some of the best young LBs in football. They play on defenses that are on the field all of the time, just like the Bills. Keith Ellison is unfairly ripped up on this board. He is more productive than Poz "the annointed one", and is twice as durable. He's never going to be a major force but he is reliable.

c) maybe we allow more rushing yards than most teams and our D is on the field longer which allows Ellison more opportunities.

Yes. Tackles are the biggest loser stat ever. Look at the list of who is in the top 10, all bad teams (except maybe ATL). London Fletcher is near the top every year and never makes the probowl.

Yes. Tackles are the biggest loser stat ever. Look at the list of who is in the top 10, all bad teams (except maybe ATL). London Fletcher is near the top every year and never makes the probowl.

I looked over the"loser" list again, and it includes some nice players in the top 15.

London Fletcher

Kirk Morrison

Barrett Ruud

Curtis Lofton

David Harris

D'Qwell Jackson

Pat Willis

Brian Cushing

Keith Bulluck

EJ Henderson

Ray Lewis

Demico Ryans

These guys are all good LBs and quite a few probowlers as well.

I looked over the"loser" list again, and it includes some nice players in the top 15.

London Fletcher

Kirk Morrison

Barrett Ruud

Curtis Lofton

David Harris

D'Qwell Jackson

Pat Willis

Brian Cushing

Keith Bulluck

EJ Henderson

Ray Lewis

Demico Ryans

These guys are all good LBs and quite a few probowlers as well.

I agree with you PushPile, it's just too damn easy for people to keep pointing to Keith Ellis for any of our defensive woes. Whoever absolutely discredits the tackles numbers is either a !@#$ing idiot or has an agenda. In either case, if it discredits anything, it is the following words that comes from that particular poster.

The bottom line is that he is reliable player, he is decent in coverage, has been very durable (which is a lot more than what I can say for many LB's in this league), and he has gotten more stout against the run. I don't know how many times I have seen him make tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage this year, certainly alot more than what I saw from him in the past.

Is he a "difference maker"? No, but he is solid, and I'm glad that he is a Bill.

Keith Ellison is second in the NFL in tackles with 68. He has by far the most for an OLB (next most is 56, which is good for 11th place). Either a) the tackles statistic in the NFL is completely arbitrary and doesn't mean anything at all or b) maybe he is at the very least a pretty solid backup LB in the NFL and doesn't deserve to be cut as I would venture to say 90% of you on here think he should be. Or c) sarcastic response...

d) Keith Ellison is a BEAST! ... at least when he's not selling his new fragrance Keith Ellison: Solutions