any bikers/joggers chased by dogs?

Pete

I bike 30 miles everyday. Earlier this year I was chased for a long distance by a bigass dog. I know exactly the house it came from. I called the police and the officer said he thought he knew the residence and that he would speak to them. Today I was riding home and that same dog went after me. It jumped at me from the yard- I had to swerve into the road to avoid it and I almost got hit by a car. I pedalled my ass off and that thing chased me for aproximately a half mile. What options do I have? I just called the police again- they are gonna call me back. I am furious at this owner. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I bike 30 miles everyday.  Earlier this year I was chased for a long distance by a bigass dog.  I know exactly the house it came from.  I called the police and the officer said he thought he knew the residence and that he would speak to them.  Today I was riding home and that same dog went after me.  It jumped at me from the yard- I had to swerve into the road to avoid it and I almost got hit by a car.  I pedalled my ass off and that thing chased me for aproximately a half mile.  What options do I have?  I just called the police again- they are gonna call me back.  I am furious at this owner.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

119073[/snapback]

Mace or pepper spray. Check with local laws for what's legal. I'd recommend a taser or an ammonia filled squirt gun but some people think that's cruel.

Mace or pepper spray.  Check with local laws for what's legal.  I'd recommend a taser or an ammonia filled squirt gun but some people think that's cruel.

119075[/snapback]

I thought about that but in reallity I dont think it would work. I ride with an Ipod and that dog has been on me so quick I dont think I could access mace and spray. Keep in mind I am doing 20-30 mph with traffic and little shoulder at all. I dont think I could shoot it with mace. Beleive me I wish I could. I love dogs too- that thing is a pain in the ass. Not the dogs fault but its fuggin idiotic owners.

I bike 30 miles everyday.  Earlier this year I was chased for a long distance by a bigass dog.  I know exactly the house it came from.  I called the police and the officer said he thought he knew the residence and that he would speak to them.  Today I was riding home and that same dog went after me.  It jumped at me from the yard- I had to swerve into the road to avoid it and I almost got hit by a car.  I pedalled my ass off and that thing chased me for aproximately a half mile.  What options do I have?  I just called the police again- they are gonna call me back.  I am furious at this owner.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

119073[/snapback]

Hit it with pepper spray directly in the eyes and you'll only have to display the can in the future.

I thought about that but in reallity I dont think it would work.  I ride with an Ipod and that dog has been on me so quick I dont think I could access mace and spray.  Keep in mind I am doing 20-30 miles with traffic and little shoulder at all.  I dont think I could shoot it with mace.  Beleive me I wish I could.  I love dogs too- that thing is a pain in the ass.  Not the dogs fault but its fuggin idiotic owners.

119084[/snapback]

Oh, you could shoot it. If it's the same dog, just be ready for that part of your route. I guarantee you would only have to do it once.

Personally, I recommended the Mace more for the owners.

119073[/snapback]

"a 44 magnum the most powerful hand gun made , why it could blow his head clean off" does he feel lucky ,well does he ? :D

i sympathize with you man...it's hard when you're on a bike because you're not as agile. it's much much easier when you're running, because you can turn around and rooster your fist and scream at the top of your lungs to the dog that if he takes one more step toward you you're going to knock his !@#$ing head off and then reach down his neck, grab him by the balls and pull him completely inside out right there on the street. the dogs that i have done this to generally "sense" the danger and back off. honest to god, i once held off 6 junk yard dogs running up 32nd street in philadelphia with this technique (coupled with a kick to the chops of the largest and most aggressive pooch, who apparently did not speak english). and because i lived, i have complete confidence in this technique and believe it to be effective on 99.9% of all unleashed dogs. i will admit however, that there is one rottweiler on my usual route that, if it came down to it, would stand a chance of surviving should it come down to a me-vs.-him battle to the death. on the other hand, my tried and true intimidation technique would be my only chance, so i'd try it anyway.

in your case, it's hard to turn around abruptly and scream and kick and threaten to behead the dog when you are zipping down an 18inch wide shoulder in heavy traffic at 20mph. so i would also recommend the pepper spray. good luck.

Speaking as a dog owner (of a big ass dog that likes to chase bikes (& the occasional car)) I would suggest that since you know where the dog lives, stop by & talk to the owner. As you mention, the problem is w/ the owner, not the dog. I'm sure (well, relatively sure. Dog food is pretty expensive you know :D ) he doesn't want the dog catching you & causing harm. Hopefully, talking him will cause him to be more attentive to his dogs behavior. Might I also suggest carrying something like a whistle or put a horn on your bike so you can announce your pending arrival. If this doesn't work, I suggest you contact the local Animal Control.

I ride with an Ipod and that dog has been on me so quick I dont think I could access mace and spray.  Keep in mind I am doing 20-30 mph with traffic and little shoulder at all.

119084[/snapback]

You're going that fast, in traffic, with little shoulder, and you're wearing an iPod?

And you think your biggest problem is the dog?

Speaking as a dog owner (of a big ass dog that likes to chase bikes (& the occasional car)) I would suggest that since you know where the dog lives, stop by & talk to the owner.  As you mention, the problem is w/ the owner, not the dog.  I'm sure (well, relatively sure. Dog food is pretty expensive you know :D ) he doesn't want the dog catching you & causing harm.  Hopefully, talking him will cause him to be more attentive  to his dogs behavior.  Might I also suggest carrying something like a whistle or put a horn on your bike so you can announce your pending arrival.  If this doesn't work, I suggest you contact the local Animal  Control.

119143[/snapback]

Animal Control is a good idea, thanks! I really have no desire to go to that house. I would like to speak to the owners but dont want to see that dog- not until I pick up some mace at least

I thought about that but in reallity I dont think it would work.  I ride with an Ipod and that dog has been on me so quick I dont think I could access mace and spray.  Keep in mind I am doing 20-30 mph with traffic and little shoulder at all.  I dont think I could shoot it with mace.  Beleive me I wish I could.  I love dogs too- that thing is a pain in the ass.  Not the dogs fault but its fuggin idiotic owners.

119084[/snapback]

I don't think you'd have to get a direct hit, would you? If you taped it somewhere on the bike you could reach and just leave a trail of pepper spray behind you, he'd probably get the message.

Or how about a super-freakin' loud air horn?

I think its a rottweiller.  It is still young but its all black and it has a wide build.  It has gotten bigger since I saw it last.  I am guessing its 90 pounds now

119243[/snapback]

Ask yourself, What would Pat Tilman do. Tazer the bastard. If the owners cared about their dogs they wouldnt have them chasing bikers or cars. If that doesnt work, tazer the owners. jk

I thought about that but in reallity I dont think it would work.  I ride with an Ipod and that dog has been on me so quick I dont think I could access mace and spray.  Keep in mind I am doing 20-30 mph with traffic and little shoulder at all.  I dont think I could shoot it with mace.  Beleive me I wish I could.  I love dogs too- that thing is a pain in the ass.  Not the dogs fault but its fuggin idiotic owners.

119084[/snapback]

Try a "pick and roll" with the pooch... Lead him into traffic and bail out the very last second and get back to the shoulder, ala a Tom Brady "screen pass."

Of course you only get one crack at... Don't pull up lame and "do a Drew!"

The pooch might not "bite" on your deek and you'll end up spattered in traffic!

DISCLAIMER:

If this is attempted, the person waives all litigation against the suggester (ie: ME!).

Ask yourself, What would Pat Tilman do. Tazer the bastard. If the owners cared about their dogs they wouldnt have them chasing bikers or cars. If that doesnt work, tazer the owners. jk

119251[/snapback]

Pat Tillman would rip the dogs head off. How does a Tazer work? Does it shoot out? Whats its range? The Tazer sounds interesting