Watching 'Skins game...eerily Buffalo-like

Red

So, living down here in DC, I occasionally catch Redskins games if the Bills are not playing.

After watching the 1st half of tonights game, it is eerie (perfect prelude to Halloween?) how similar the Redskins and Bills are. Besides the obvious player connections (London Fletcher, Mike Williams, Dockery, Todd Collins, Jason Peters) in tonights game, the issues that the Redskins currently suffer from are a mirror image of the Bills.

We have had a kick returner fumble the ball for the Eagles to recover, a QB who has no confidence in either himself or his O-line and his receivers to truly stand in the pocket and deliver to his receivers, a coach who has been stripped of his play-calling in favor of a consultant who was not with the team (and was actually retired) prior to the season, a makeshift offensive line (with 2 players who were chased out of Buffalo for lack of effort- Williams and Dockery), horrible draft picks (Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly), and a GM who is probably responsible for the whole mess but is getting little heat from the owner (Vinny Cerrato). The 'Skins also seem to be as inept as the Bills since the owner (Snyder) took over in '99.

I feel like I am watching a Bills game here.

So, living down here in DC, I occasionally catch Redskins games if the Bills are not playing.

After watching the 1st half of tonights game, it is eerie (perfect prelude to Halloween?) how similar the Redskins and Bills are. Besides the obvious player connections (London Fletcher, Mike Williams, Dockery, Todd Collins, Jason Peters) in tonights game, the issues that the Redskins currently suffer from are a mirror image of the Bills.

We have had a kick returner fumble the ball for the Eagles to recover, a QB who has no confidence in either himself or his O-line and his receivers to truly stand in the pocket and deliver to his receivers, a coach who has been stripped of his play-calling in favor of a consultant who was not with the team (and was actually retired) prior to the season, a makeshift offensive line (with 2 players who were chased out of Buffalo for lack of effort- Williams and Dockery), horrible draft picks (Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly), and a GM who is probably responsible for the whole mess but is getting little heat from the owner (Vinny Cerrato). The 'Skins also seem to be as inept as the Bills since the owner (Snyder) took over in '99.

I feel like I am watching a Bills game here.

I truly don't understand this. It's been well researched and defined that all Buffalo needs is a new owner that will spend money and we'll have a winning team. So how is it the Redskins have an owner that spends money like that and they're not winning every year?

I truly don't understand this. It's been well researched and defined that all Buffalo needs is a new owner that will spend money and we'll have a winning team. So how is it the Redskins have an owner that spends money like that and they're not winning every year?

outstanding question. and while i don't have the answer, i will say that even though the redskins suck, i'm envious that they have an owner who's AT LEAST willing to shell out big bucks for big time free agents and coaches.

Well, you certainly can argue that throwing money at the problem is just as successful as not.

Yep, as a Marylander I see a lot of parallels between the Skins and Bills...It's sad to see an iconic sports franchise ruined by its own owner.

Thanks.

I see alot of parallels with the management structure and its impact on the team. Vinny Cerrato came from San Fran with no credentials- other than piggybacking on anothers success.

I don't think that Snyder is as much to blame necessarily as the people in charge of the football operation don't have a clue. Cerrato reminds me of Brandon.

In fact, the TO signing is extremely Redskin-esque with making a grab for a big name free agent solely in the hope of selling tickets with no regard for team structure, locker room effects, etc. Throwing money at a name.

And though the owners may be polar opposites in terms of spending strategies, the outcome is the same.

I've been flipping around but from what I've seen Mike Williams looks pretty good; am I way off base? He is certainly as big of a frame as I remember him being, although not as overweight.

I don't think that you are off base. I noticed the same thing. He is holding he own at RT.

What really stinks is that he came out in the papers here in DC prior to the season and openly admitted to not giving it his all with Buffalo and then Jacksonville.

I don't get that. Getting drafted #4 overall, millions of dollars, and not being motivated? That pick really hurt the team. Instead of having a cornerstone with which to build an offensive line, he played like a scrub and became one. Now he looks decent.

Bittersweet...

outstanding question. and while i don't have the answer, i will say that even though the redskins suck, i'm envious that they have an owner who's AT LEAST willing to shell out big bucks for big time free agents and coaches.

But why would you be envious of the same end result?

No matter who the 'Skins have at QB, or who is the Head Coach, the win-loss record is so similar through the past decade. Like the Bills, the front office and its lack of ability is what hinders each franchise.

Having an owner who is willing to throw good money after bad does not give them a better chance at winning.

Well, you certainly can argue that throwing money at the problem is just as successful as not.

Good point...Just to prove that you can be lavish or frugal, but if you are not balanced, you are not going to be successful in the NFL.

The NFL as it stands today is a QB league and is all about coaching the talent. Sadly neither the Redskins or the Bills have shown any strength in either area.

But why would you be envious of the same end result?

No matter who the 'Skins have at QB, or who is the Head Coach, the win-loss record is so similar through the past decade. Like the Bills, the front office and its lack of ability is what hinders each franchise.

Having an owner who is willing to throw good money after bad does not give them a better chance at winning.

i didn't say i'd be envious of the same end result, all i was saying is that i was envious of the Redskins having an owner who wasn't afraid to go after big name free agents with the thought of trying to improve the team. While his free agent acquisitions haven't lived up to their paychecks(how many in the NFL actually do), I do applaud him for at least trying to improve the team, which is more than I can say for our owner.

Good point...Just to prove that you can be lavish or frugal, but if you are not balanced, you are not going to be successful in the NFL.

The NFL as it stands today is a QB league and is all about coaching the talent. Sadly neither the Redskins or the Bills have shown any strength in either area.

Steelers, 'nuff said.

It's because Wilson is just inept. Snyder, on the other hand, is an uber-moron who thinks he's running a fantasy football team.

I mean, come on...he can't even fire Zorn properly. :unsure: