White House Press Strategy

Magox

The Mao comment was a poor example on her part, but that isn't what concerns me. What concerns me is the White House's strategy to attack the media (FOX) for not reporting the "news" the way they see fit. I think this video explains why they have an issue with FOX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLR5jHlytRg...player_embedded

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/19...erage-campaign/

The Obama campaign's press strategy leading up to his election last November focused on "making" the media cover what the campaign wanted and on exercising absolute "control" over coverage, White House Communications Director Anita Dunn told an overseas crowd early this year.

In a video of the event, Dunn is seen describing in detail the media strategy used by then-Sen. Barack Obama's highly disciplined presidential campaign. The video is footage from a Jan. 12 forum hosted by the Global Foundation for Democracy and Development in the Dominican Republic.

"Very rarely did we communicate through the press anything that we didn't absolutely control," Dunn said, admitting that the strategy "did not always make us popular in the press."

The video drew attention after Dunn kicked off a war of words with Fox News last Sunday, calling the network "opinion journalism masquerading as news." The White House stopped providing guests to "Fox News Sunday" in August after host Chris Wallace fact-checked controversial assertions made by Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Dunn complained about the fact-checking last Sunday. In the January forum, she provided details about the lengths to which the Obama campaign went to control the media message.

She explained that the campaign favored live interviews so that Obama's words could not be edited -- "so that what the voters heard we determined, as opposed to some editor in a TV station."

She said Campaign Manager David Plouffe put out Web videos so the campaign could avoid talking to reporters and focus the media message.

"Whether it was a David Plouffe video or an Obama speech, a huge part of our press strategy was focused on making the media cover what Obama was actually saying as opposed to why the campaign was saying it," she said. "One of the reasons we did so many of the David Plouffe videos was not just for our supporters, but also because it was a way for us to get our message out without having to actually talk to reporters. ... We just put that out there and made them write what Plouffe had said as opposed to Plouffe doing an interview with a reporter. So it was very much we controlled it as opposed to the press controlled it."

So they decide to pick a fight with FOX, the highest rated network news agency, what a dumbass decision that was. I wonder if it was Rahm's decision, Dunn's or Axelrod's, either way very dumb. Before Dunn's comments there were only 300 youtube views of her interview, in just two days well over 26,000 and I'm sure it will spread like a viral disease.

These guys will stop at nothing to demonize any corporation, industry, group or network that doesn't things eye to eye with them.

I guess this wasn't something that they could "control".

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me is the White House's strategy to attack the media

I was watching PBS and they did a segment called "Picking a fight: Obama vs Fox News "

"Whether or not you like Fox News, all of us in the press need to be concerned about the administration of President Barack Obama trying to `punish' the cable news channel for its point of view," wrote television critic David Zurawik in the Baltimore Sun."

Wow! Are the loons on the right actually acting PC.

Who whould have thunk it!

:bag::doh:

Wait a second...isn't "controlling what the voter hears" and "not leaving it to an editor" the best possible definition of political correctness?

One more example of far-left derangement. You are trying to to talk about what the right is doing...when the topic has nothing to do with them, that they had no part in, and is something the left is going out giving seminars on? What does this story, or these videos, have to do with the right, or what they are doing?

Wtf? Seriously Wtf?

Edit: and yeah....if "the truth will set you free", and Obama is the President of this country, not the USSR, why the punishment for "fact checking"? That I don't understand. Perhaps we can get a member of the press to explain why fact checking is a punishable offense? I would think the goal would be to make sure the media fact checks what you are saying, so that you can hammer home your point, not the other way around....that is...unless the facts don't support your point :lol:

Yes. Fact checking is bad - very bad. How dare anyone challenge an assertion when there are so many rainbows and unicorns to dole out. No rainbow for YOU Fox News!

The arcane media should be ashamed to call themselves reporters. They're merely followers.

Investigative journalism is just about dead. There is little drive in that industry to get to and reveal the truth. They seem more content to watch their business model crumble and fret about it than in doing real story telling that might actually help their bottom line.

"So it was very much we controlled it as opposed to the press controlled it."

They are so proud of their ability to control the media and have just declared an all out war on the only dissenting voice remaining on television. It's no wonder why they are big fans of Mao, Hugo and Fidel. A lot of people in America were duped into think Obama was just a "regular" guy, and are just now waking up to find out that they elected the next Hugo Chavez.

Wait a second...isn't "controlling what the voter hears" and "not leaving it to an editor" the best possible definition of political correctness?

One more example of far-left derangement. You are trying to to talk about what the right is doing...when the topic has nothing to do with them, that they had no part in, and is something the left is going out giving seminars on? What does this story, or these videos, have to do with the right, or what they are doing?

Wtf? Seriously Wtf?

Edit: and yeah....if "the truth will set you free", and Obama is the President of this country, not the USSR, why the punishment for "fact checking"? That I don't understand. Perhaps we can get a member of the press to explain why fact checking is a punishable offense? I would think the goal would be to make sure the media fact checks what you are saying, so that you can hammer home your point, not the other way around....that is...unless the facts don't support your point :lol:

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! :bag::doh:

Wtf? Seriously Wtf?

Edit: and yeah....if "the truth will set you free", and Obama is the President of this country, not the USSR, why the punishment for "fact checking"? That I don't understand. Perhaps we can get a member of the press to explain why fact checking is a punishable offense? I would think the goal would be to make sure the media fact checks what you are saying, so that you can hammer home your point, not the other way around....that is...unless the facts don't support your point :doh:

Call it want it want... :bag:

The Mao comment was a poor example on her part, but that isn't what concerns me. What concerns me is the White House's strategy to attack the media (FOX) for not reporting the "news" the way they see fit. I think this video explains why they have an issue with FOX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLR5jHlytRg...player_embedded

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/19...erage-campaign/

The Obama campaign's press strategy leading up to his election last November focused on "making" the media cover what the campaign wanted and on exercising absolute "control" over coverage, White House Communications Director Anita Dunn told an overseas crowd early this year.

In a video of the event, Dunn is seen describing in detail the media strategy used by then-Sen. Barack Obama's highly disciplined presidential campaign. The video is footage from a Jan. 12 forum hosted by the Global Foundation for Democracy and Development in the Dominican Republic.

"Very rarely did we communicate through the press anything that we didn't absolutely control," Dunn said, admitting that the strategy "did not always make us popular in the press."

The video drew attention after Dunn kicked off a war of words with Fox News last Sunday, calling the network "opinion journalism masquerading as news." The White House stopped providing guests to "Fox News Sunday" in August after host Chris Wallace fact-checked controversial assertions made by Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Dunn complained about the fact-checking last Sunday. In the January forum, she provided details about the lengths to which the Obama campaign went to control the media message.

She explained that the campaign favored live interviews so that Obama's words could not be edited -- "so that what the voters heard we determined, as opposed to some editor in a TV station."

She said Campaign Manager David Plouffe put out Web videos so the campaign could avoid talking to reporters and focus the media message.

"Whether it was a David Plouffe video or an Obama speech, a huge part of our press strategy was focused on making the media cover what Obama was actually saying as opposed to why the campaign was saying it," she said. "One of the reasons we did so many of the David Plouffe videos was not just for our supporters, but also because it was a way for us to get our message out without having to actually talk to reporters. ... We just put that out there and made them write what Plouffe had said as opposed to Plouffe doing an interview with a reporter. So it was very much we controlled it as opposed to the press controlled it."

So they decide to pick a fight with FOX, the highest rated network news agency, what a dumbass decision that was. I wonder if it was Rahm's decision, Dunn's or Axelrod's, either way very dumb. Before Dunn's comments there were only 300 youtube views of her interview, in just two days well over 26,000 and I'm sure it will spread like a viral disease.

These guys will stop at nothing to demonize any corporation, industry, group or network that doesn't things eye to eye with them.

I guess this wasn't something that they could "control".

1) I don't think they care. The administration's core demographic of support and Fox News's don't exactly overlap all that much. Demonizing Fox is probably a wise political strategy for them, since it plays to their base.

2) Overall, it's the Bush Administration's policy writ small - the Bush Administration treated all the networks like spoiled, petulant children (yes, including Fox). This one only treats Fox that way.

1) I don't think they care. The administration's core demographic of support and Fox News's don't exactly overlap all that much. Demonizing Fox is probably a wise political strategy for them, since it plays to their base.

2) Overall, it's the Bush Administration's policy writ small - the Bush Administration treated all the networks like spoiled, petulant children (yes, including Fox). This one only treats Fox that way.

I would agree with you Tom on your first point if that were the case. I will try to find the numbers, but I saw a couple days ago that 17% of democrats, 46% of Independants and 55% of all republicans watch FOX, and that roughly about 50% of viewers are Democrats and independants. Their viewership has spiked this year considerably, and I'm not going to lie to you, I'm watching FOX a lot more than I use to. I use to watch CNN at least 2 to 1 over FOX, now I'd say I watch FOX 2 to 1 over CNN.

I found it:

http://politikditto.blogspot.com/2009/10/5...dependents.html

http://www.newsmax.com/morris/fox_news_par.../19/273848.html

I think you can attribute these numbers to one key point, and that is that the rest of the media is Liberally biased and the only other network that balances that out is FOX.

Tom, even if you don't believe the poll, all you have to do is look at the ratings, their viewership has gone through the roof. So they are obviously picking up coverage from other areas as well. If you look at the polling numbers, you will see that independants have backed off of Obama big time, which supports these FOX viewership poll numbers.

The only reason why FOX News is the highest rated is because just about everyone in Red State America has cable now- big surprise. I love it that they have the cajones to stand up to the Fascist News Channel- it is about time someone did. They are STILL looking for the weapons of mass destruction they they said were found.... :bag:

The only reason why FOX News is the highest rated is because just about everyone in Red State America has cable now- big surprise. I love it that they have the cajones to stand up to the Fascist News Channel- it is about time someone did. They are STILL looking for the weapons of mass destruction they they said were found.... :bag:

well there you have it! When you have nothing intelligent to say, just make **** up. Whatever makes you feel better :doh:

I sure haven't got extreme conservative Red America on my side... I'll take the independents and non-extremist Blue Staters; good enough for me. I'm satisfied. :lol:

Good then you'll love this:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con..._approval_index

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...l_tracking_poll

October 14, 2009: Eighty-five percent (85%) of Democrats approve. Seventy-eight percent (78%) of Republicans disapprove as do 61% of voters not affiliated with either major party

CNN poll

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...prove-of-obama/

and this was in september, it has gone down a lot since then.

Also 50% of FOX viewers are democrats and independants

http://politikditto.blogspot.com/2009/10/5...dependents.html

Thanks for making my point, that you're a dumbass who makes **** up :doh:

I'll be awaiting your dip **** reply :bag:

The reason they don't care is not because their demographics don't overlap with Fox News, because Fox actually draws a pretty solid independent audience, which the WH is losing at a ridiculous pace. I think they don't care because Obama, Emmanuel, etc. think they can. And that's just utter stupidity at a level so deep that even hardcore liberals (New York Times, Helen Thomas, etc.) are telling them to stop.

Plus, it's one thing to have a throw-away advisor like Dunn do this, but Axelrod and Emmanuel piled on this weekend, and even though I'm a throw-away conservative, it's really getting a bit embarrassing. This country is in a schitstorm right now, from unemployment, to embarrassing deficits, to stalling on Afghanistan to appease the Pelosi Gang , to a flailing economy. Doing things like spending the weekend fighting Fox News not only comes across as petty, but it's pretty clear that the WH is creating this issue so no one will spend the weekend asking them questions about what a pathetic job they're doing.

Demonizing people and groups is being taken to a new level, and it doesn't take a conservative hack like me to see this will likely backfire on them in embarrassing fashion.

But fortunately, this president is being open and honest and transparent and, as he said during the campaign, “I will listen to you, especially when we disagree.”

Time to change that to "I will demonize you, especially when we disagree."