A Few Thoughts About The Game

The following is a late, lame attempt at my game analysis. Believe it or not, it takes a bit of effort to spew these rantings. School and a lingering medical issue (I will be fine) have been slowing me down but here goes nothing:

1) The performance of Fitzpatrick did not surprise me at all. He is a decent quarterback, and I hope he doesn't get killed. Lofty hopes indeed.

2) When Poz was drafted I was not all that impressed. To this day I have my doubts as to whether or not his body willl be able to stand up to the NFL. That said, this kid is a super talent. I root for him almost as much as I rooted for Speilmann. I deem him to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. Seriously.

3) Sorry people but on one of those monster runs by Jones, Whitner was absolutely destroyed.

4) Did you people see the 1st quarter penalty against Wood? Holding? He pancaked his opponent. There was nothing even remotely close to a hold. That kid is going to be great, and do not sell Levitre short either.

5) Poor Trent. I mean this. Few of you might remember Chris Chandler. I always likened him to Trent. Chandler's numbers were great, but he had a "cardboard head" in terms of concussions. I think that his future as an NFL qb is in serious jeopardy. Each concussion gets worse, no? I hope that he comes back; I always liked the kid. He spared me from having to watch Losman who was also ruined, if indeed he ever had a chance to be good.

6) Chris Draft? I never heard of him and he is listed as 33 years old. THAT was what I call a sack.

7) OK....let's get to Byrd. I hated that pick. Good God we could have had the 2010 1st round pick from Carolina (who sucks). Is he worth a very probable top 10 pick? I am going with probably not but I would take him over Whitner any day of the week. Kudos to Alphadog who called him a "ball hawk."

8) When Jenkins went down, the jets turned into the Bills at DT. What would happen if Stroud gets injured? Kyle Williams is good. He even seems to improve on a week to week basis, but he will never be dominant. The Bills absolutely HAVE to draft DTs in 2010.

9) I haven't checked the numbers, but Schobel was a force in this game. It's hard to believe at his size, but he makes plays vs. the run.

10) Buffalo Bills fans deserved this victory. Congrats and best wishes to all who endure the insanity that is ours and plod ahead as loyal fans against all odds. No matter how shallow the victory, this week is ours.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with most. However, on both of those long runs, whitner gets DESTROYED. Someone put both runs on youtube, and he overpursues really really bad on one, and is out of position on the other.

I like Byrd too, kid is a ball hawk, just needs to tacklet better and get in better position vs run. That will come with experience

I loved how Fitz used Lee and tried to get the ball to our playmakers. If Trent would do that, our offense would be alot better, but he just does nt

Did anyone pay attention to the RT Meridith? How did he do? Like if you just watched him on every play?

GO BILLS!!!

Please know that your weekly posts are very much appreciated on a weekly basis....I always look forward to reading them, and based on a thread earlier today, I am not the only one.....keep up the good work and hope you feel better soon

Same here Bill, thanks. I don't always agree with you but you're civil, this week I do.

Glad, you're alive. I thought seeing one of our 9 million drafted defensive backs making plays and winning the game put your over the edge. :unsure:

I know you're a big oline guy and have been hard on our tackles. What did you think of Jamon Merideth's first NFL start?

All I have to offer is that he was not worse than Scott.

Thanks Bill and hope you're doing all right. Byrd made some plays in the passing game, but he's got a lot to learn in the run game. It makes what Bob Sanders do for the Colts all the more amazing because he is a one man DB wrecking crew.

If there's one position I think Buffalo won't be looking for a starter at in the draft, it's guard.

I'm very much in agreement about the DT position. McCargo won't be around much longer, and Williams would be best served in a depth role. Stroud is 31, so new blood would be nice for 2010. Suh and Gerald McCoy are the early front-runners, but they could be gone early.

The Bills have some winnable games ahead if they can start scoring some points. Carolina will be a big test, given their big running game.

4) Did you people see the 1st quarter penalty against Wood? Holding? He pancaked his opponent. There was nothing even remotely close to a hold. That kid is going to be great, and do not sell Levitre short either.

I saw that, and I couldn't believe my eyes. There was some terrible officiating in that game, but that one was a complete head-scratcher. Wood completely pancaked his guy. What more is he supposed to do?

I watched the game last night on my PC through NFL Rewind and spent a lot of time watching Meredith. I have to say I was very impressed with how he did. He was agile, strong, and largely in position. There were times he absolutely dominated his man in ways that reminded me of a young (and motivated) Jason Peters. Yes I know it's one game and I am not getting carried away but all in all I was impressed and hope he continues to start the remainder of the year.

I'm very much in agreement about the DT position. McCargo won't be around much longer, and Williams would be best served in a depth role. Stroud is 31, so new blood would be nice for 2010. Suh and Gerald McCoy are the early front-runners, but they could be gone early.

Keep watching Terrance Cody of Alabama. My only problem with him is the risk factor. He could be another Leon Lett, or not make it in the NFL. That said, I would take him in a second. He pushes back piles with ease but again, I see him as a high risk pick, and would be more than happy with an OT with our first.

7) OK....let's get to Byrd. I hated that pick. Good God we could have had the 2010 1st round pick from Carolina (who sucks). Is he worth a very probable top 10 pick? I am going with probably not but I would take him over Whitner any day of the week. Kudos to Alphadog who called him a "ball hawk."

Nice summary. Not that it matters, but Brown was a second-round selection. And if he sucks, I'd hate to hear what you say about Maybin.

I always look forward to your post too.

Whitner got blown up on the big runs and Byrd took bad angles each time, but where were the lb's on those plays?

I thought that it was a pretty cheap shot by Pace on the play that TE got injured. He was in a very vulnerable position and Pace knew it. Then he made sure he twisted TE and landed with all of his weight on him. I really thought that should have been flagged as unnecessary roughness considering all of the touches that get called. Hopefully, Pace will get fined for the play.

One last thing: A week ago, everyone was calling Rex Ryan the next Lombardi. How can you possibly let your rookie qb throw 5 picks in the same game that you rush for over 300 yards? The only thing that kept the Bills in the game was the Jets allowing Sanchez to throw.

Thanks Bill and hope you're doing all right. Byrd made some plays in the passing game, but he's got a lot to learn in the run game. It makes what Bob Sanders do for the Colts all the more amazing because he is a one man DB wrecking crew.

If there's one position I think Buffalo won't be looking for a starter at in the draft, it's guard.

The Bills have some winnable games ahead if they can start scoring some points. Carolina will be a big test, given their big running game.

thats why he always hurt. i really hope Byrd isnt called on in run support excessively. no way you can ask a 185-200 lb DB to consistently take on an RB who's built up a head of steam, and expect the DB to remain upright.

thats why he always hurt. i really hope Byrd isnt called on in run support excessively. no way you can ask a 185-200 lb DB to consistently take on an RB who's built up a head of steam, and expect the DB to remain upright.

Bob Sanders has had injury concerns dating back to his career at Iowa more than 5 years ago. It's why he lasted into the second round, and Polian decided to take a mild chance on him.

Sanders makes tackles behind the LOS, whereas I haven't seen a Buffalo S do that in quite some time. Not saying Whitner or others haven't, but Sanders is a dynamic player. His play at the end of the 06 season took a terrible run defense all the way to the SB. When he's healthy, he's the best S in the NFL.

i really hate the thought that we are in our 10th year of "rebuilding" but if indeed we are is the consensus that we are starting to get closer to having a quality NFL o-line? Despite what anyone thought of the plethora of QBs that have come in to One Bills Drive since Kelly left, is the one thing that that we all could agree on is that the line has been a constant work in progress and in turn, that stunted the growth/play of just about every QB we have had??

I don't pretend to be a football jedi, but i am interested to hear if there is optimism about this group...i could truly handle rebuilding again...if in fact, the pieces were starting to be put in place and i do believe, whomever is our long-term solution at QB, that it all starts up front with a line that can protect and block...

Byrd would have had 3 INTs but Corner grabbed the 3rd one out of his hands (and credit Byrd for noticing Corner had a good bead on it and avoided running into him). It's nice to see a guy going for the ball.

Whitner's problem is he's easy to fool into overpursuit because he wants to make the big hit. Those 2 plays were prime examples. HE was out of position going forward instead of containing. (At least on the one I focused on him.) He's the guy who needs to limit that run to a 16 yard play.

Thanks also for your posts Bill - highly informative. I'd like to add a couple if I may.

1) Why did the Bills run play to the right side of the hash marks for the potential winning FG at the end of regulation? I would think you would at least try to get it towards the middle to help with the angle.

2) I know this that is also on other threads, but does Jackson make a decision and hit the hole quicker than Lynch? It seems like Lynch runs side to side more than upfield. Or, is it just that the D sees Lynch and strings him out better than Jackson?

Nice summary. Not that it matters, but Brown was a second-round selection. And if he sucks, I'd hate to hear what you say about Maybin.

Carolina traded their 2010 1st rounder to SF (who picked one choice after the Bills took Byrd) in order to move up in the 2nd round to get Brown. it's thought that Buffalo could have made that same trade and still would have had the opportunity to take Byrd in the 3rd.

Thanks also for your posts Bill - highly informative. I'd like to add a couple if I may.

1) Why did the Bills run play to the right side of the hash marks for the potential winning FG at the end of regulation? I would think you would at least try to get it towards the middle to help with the angle.

2) I know this that is also on other threads, but does Jackson make a decision and hit the hole quicker than Lynch? It seems like Lynch runs side to side more than upfield. Or, is it just that the D sees Lynch and strings him out better than Jackson?

i thought Lynch had a strong game. he's about the only Bill on either side of the ball that plays more physical than the opponent.