Defend Trentative Edwards

Brand J

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's shown nothing, which makes him expendable.

Here's the crux of the issue. You're arguing a falsehood. He is expendable. It's incredibly unlikely the Bills ever achieve success with Trent Edwards at QB. You're using ends to prove the means though.

The Bills can draft the top rated QB next year, but it's not going to change their fortunes. They could trade for an established successful QB (I think they tried this one) and they would not be successful. The problem is much, much deeper than QB and they need a change in those areas before addressing the "problem" at QB because no matter what QB they bring in at this point, it's not going to change "what" this team is..the direction this team is headed each week.

The sheer amount of bonehead decisions from nearly every player on this team should make it obvious there's a big problem that Fitzpatrick isn't going to do anything to fix.

Accuracy

He was horribly inaccurate today. I know you say he only had time to throw on one play but that simply isn't true. He had time on the long throw to Evans and overthrew him (like he overthrew TO last week on the long pass.) He also had time on - I'd estimate - about half his drop back, which I admit is bad. Even so, he's never able to pull the trigger to anybody but RBs or TEs underneath. He started to break out of the shell in the first half with some of those throws to TO but reverted right back to the gun shy QB in the 2nd half.

I can't see the entire field on TV but both Evans and TO are quality WRs and they simply can not be well covered on every single pass play. It's simply inconceivable to think that is the case. Trent simply does not have the confidence to throw the ball into tight spaces - which is what an NFL QB has to be able to do. "Open" in the NFL is a half step and it appears to me that Edwards just does not understand this or lacks the confidence to execute it. Either way it ends up killing the offense. The OL was horrible today, I wont' defend them. The penalties were drive killing. But Edwards, once again, showed the same tentative decision making that have fans questioning him.

Here's the crux of the issue. You're arguing a falsehood. He is expendable. It's incredibly unlikely the Bills ever achieve success with Trent Edwards at QB. You're using ends to prove the means though.

The Bills can draft the top rated QB next year, but it's not going to change their fortunes. They could trade for an established successful QB (I think they tried this one) and they would not be successful. The problem is much, much deeper than QB and they need a change in those areas before addressing the "problem" at QB because no matter what QB they bring in at this point, it's not going to change "what" this team is..the direction this team is headed each week.

The sheer amount of bonehead decisions from nearly every player on this team should make it obvious there's a big problem that Fitzpatrick isn't going to do anything to fix.

Ok ,Ok Trent!

He has been horribly inaccurate for 16 games now. I know you say he only had time to throw on one play but that simply isn't true. He had time on the long throw to Evans and overthrew him (like he overthrew TO last week on the long pass.) He also had time on - I'd estimate - about half his drop back, which I admit is bad. Even so, he's never able to pull the trigger to anybody but RBs or TEs underneath. He started to break out of the shell in the first half with some of those throws to TO but reverted right back to the gun shy QB in the 2nd half.

I can't see the entire field on TV but both Evans and TO are quality WRs and they simply can not be well covered on every single pass play. It's simply inconceivable to think that is the case. Trent simply does not have the confidence to throw the ball into tight spaces - which is what an NFL QB has to be able to do. "Open" in the NFL is a half step and it appears to me that Edwards just does not understand this or lacks the confidence to execute it. Either way it ends up killing the offense. The OL was horrible today, I wont' defend them. The penalties were drive killing. But Edwards, once again, showed the same tentative decision making that have fans questioning him.

:w00t: Just made one change

Trent: "We never got into any rhythm. It's frustrating because it goes right in practice and since it doesnt work on the weekends, it's pretty frustrating. We have to get it fixed" "Our headcoach has guys headed in the right direction and can get it fixed" WHAT?!?!

Edwards looks everywhere but inside of himself...

Accuracy

Really? wow...do you just look at the stats in the paper or watch the game? If you look at his completion % he looks accurate becuase he throws so many short dump offs that any 3rd string QB in the NFL can make with the same accuracy. But if you watch his down field throws they are wildly inaccurate, under thrown, over thrown, behind the recievers, defended passes, or INT's.

Trents accuracy has been a myth around here for a long time because it was masked by all his short completions, but he is in the bottom 5 amongst starters (nobody is worse than J. Russell) in the NFL today in downfield accuracy.

Want to know another falsehood? You can pick and choose when to add talent to a football team. If the draft comes up next season and the Bills have a chance to grab an top NFL QB prospect, they should take it, whether the team is ready for it or not.

Did the Bills have great direction when they drafted Kelly in 1983? Of course not, they went 4-28 the next two seasons. But they used the opportunity to grab a great player.

Was Atlanta ready to draft Matt Ryan last season, or Baltimore ready to draft Joe Flacco? Who cares if they were ready, those teams saw the opportunity to add a talented QB to the roster and took it.

Passing on drafting a talented QB because the organization or current talent isn't ready would be foolhardy.

All I know is I've seen Trent Edwards play well years ago. Why has he regressed? Bad coaching? Lingering effects of his concussion? I have no idea. I just know this guy used to be able to make throws. I know there are certain Bills fans who revel in failure. This is your day.

PTR