Levy Backs Jauron

Rico

Re the criticisms of Levy's SB coaching, come on. Granted, the Bills lost to an inferior team in the Giants. In that game, Levy was outcoached. But let's not deceive ourselves and suggest that the 91 Bills (with a limping Bruce Smith) were any match for a dominant Redskins team or even close to as talented as the 1992-93 Cowboys. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the Bills had a GREAT gameplan in the 1994 Super Bowl, and they were executing it well until the Thomas third quarter fumble. The Cowboys were so far superior to them that it was a joke, yet they had a TD lead early in the third because of a smart gameplan. Then the wheels came off and talent decided the outcome. Physically, the Cowboys were simply bigger and faster than a fading Bills time trying for one last hurrah.

Agreed. NFW they were beating the Redskins even before Kelly's concussion, and they didn't even win their DIVISION the following season.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, someone who wins 143 games in the NFL, and is in the Hall of Fame must be a horrible coach.

Super Bowl 25 was lost by two reasons - Jeff Wright and Norwood. That's it. Blame Polian for Wright, and Norwood for being a kitty. It wasn't Levy at all. He coached a great game. Thurman was unstoppable. Kelly played like crap. Don't rewrite history. Polian failed us that year.

Agreed. For all the moves Polian off, its still amazes me he filled the middle of a 3-4 with a journeyman linebacker.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=70837

"We interviewed six coaches... all good candidates at the time.. and we felt... Mr. Wilson and I felt at the time that we'd move forth with Dick... and it's not over...they're reeling... the Bills best chance in my opinion is to go forth with the way Dick Jauron will coach the team... I believe Dick Jauron has the type of character and will convey that to the players on this team that will give them the best chance to rebound."

<_<

Like Russ Bradnon, Levy's standing by his decision. :nana:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=70837

"We interviewed six coaches... all good candidates at the time.. and we felt... Mr. Wilson and I felt at the time that we'd move forth with Dick... and it's not over...they're reeling... the Bills best chance in my opinion is to go forth with the way Dick Jauron will coach the team... I believe Dick Jauron has the type of character and will convey that to the players on this team that will give them the best chance to rebound."

:nana:

And I am sure he still thinks his picks and FA signings were great as well.

And I am sure he still thinks his picks and FA signings were great as well.

You don't think Larry Tripplett, Touton Reyes, Matt Bowen, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, Donte Whitner, and John McCargo are playmakers? :nana:

One thing about Marv is that he hired good assistants and let them do their jobs. Jauron hasn't hired a decent assistant yet. (I am rooting for AVP, but the opposing DCs kicked his butt and took his lunch money the past couple of weeks.) I think some of that is by design. Jauron feels a sense of job security because he KNOWS that it will be hard to fire him and replace him internally. I seriously doubt that Bobby April is head coaching material either.

I think every Bills fan would agree that the biggest mistake Ralph ever made was firing Bill Polian. We would have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT history from that point forward.

What do you think the odds are that that course of history would have been a better one?

I think every Bills fan would agree that the biggest mistake Ralph ever made was firing Bill Polian. We would have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT history from that point forward.

What do you think the odds are that that course of history would have been a better one?

good if he did everything he could to keep Butler and his cronies

good if he did everything he could to keep Butler and his cronies

I don't know. Polian had success in Carolina and now Indy without Butler and the gang. Besides, Butler drafts (especially his last couple) were nothing to write home about and played a significant role in the struggles earlier in this decade.

Sup KOK!

From reading your posts, I take it you do not approve of Dick Jauron' s performance as Bills coach. :nana:

What was your 1st clue Bro?... <_<

And I did not just jump on this ship either...I've been a co-captain with many others around here for quite some time now...The guy never did it for me...I could not for the life of me understand why we hired the Lions Defensive Coordinator...Did I miss something about those great Lions Defenses while Dead Dick was there? Plus it's not like he lit the world on fire in Chicago...One good year and a one-and-done in the Playoffs...I gave him a chance, but now I want him as far away from my Football Team as possible...

I hate the guy to be honest...I just hate him...And that's not healthy for Me, so he's gotta go...:lol:

anybody remember who the other 5 coaches that we interviewed at that time?

M Sherman

J Lofton

B April

J Caldwell

And I don't recall the last one. I do know that they WANTED to talk to Sean Payton (whom TD had interviewed back in 2001), but the Saints refused to let him leave without a deal.

Levy was so bad, he was good. He clearly benefitted from the personnel we had which was, at times, unreal. But at the same time, you have to recognize that he was one of the most flexible coaches ever. He listened to his players and his assistants and had no ego about going with someone else's ideas, even if it meant a major variation from his views about how to pay winning football. I also think he had an eye for overlooked talent that wasn't as good as Polian's but was pretty good nonetheless.

Some other coach might have to threw the guys out of his office when they suggested going K-gun for the whole game.

Another coach might have got into pissing matches over territory when the GM came in and suggested a huge trade or something like stealing Christie off the waiver wire.

Levy also found a way to keep all those competing egos happy and satisfied. A guy like Parcells would have insisted on being at the center of every drama, every decision and would reject any good idea that wasn't his.

Its not all x's and o's.

Could not agree more

:nana:

Re the criticisms of Levy's SB coaching, come on. Granted, the Bills lost to an inferior team in the Giants. In that game, Levy was outcoached. But let's not deceive ourselves and suggest that the 91 Bills (with a limping Bruce Smith) were any match for a dominant Redskins team or even close to as talented as the 1992-93 Cowboys. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the Bills had a GREAT gameplan in the 1994 Super Bowl, and they were executing it well until the Thomas third quarter fumble. The Cowboys were so far superior to them that it was a joke, yet they had a TD lead early in the third because of a smart gameplan. Then the wheels came off and talent decided the outcome. Physically, the Cowboys were simply bigger and faster than a fading Bills time trying for one last hurrah.

Simply can't argue with anything in this post. Especially your point about that 'Skins team. And I hate the fricken 'Skins. Pains me to say anything nice about them. But I have no problem giving credit where it's due and the '91 'Skins were simply far better than anyone else all year.

GO BILLS!!!

What was your 1st clue Bro?... :lol:

And I did not just jump on this ship either...I've been a co-captain with many others around here for quite some time now...The guy never did it for me...I could not for the life of me understand why we hired the Lions Defensive Coordinator...Did I miss something about those great Lions Defenses while Dead Dick was there? Plus it's not like he lit the world on fire in Chicago...One good year and a one-and-done in the Playoffs...I gave him a chance, but now I want him as far away from my Football Team as possible...

I hate the guy to be honest...I just hate him...And that's not healthy for Me, so he's gotta go...B-)

Wasn't happy with the DJ hire at all but I gave him the benefit of the doubt until last year... he really needs to leave. I hated Meathead more than I hate DJ now, but at least he left after 2 years. Ralph is still by far my most hated of all. :beer: