Captain Checkdown

Not to make excuses for Trent but, there seems to be a combination of things that are wrong here. That he is just not doing his job is only one of them. Personally I don't understand why they got away from the screens and yeah they don't ever run enough slants to our outside guys much less anything else across the middle if the field to them. I think it is the coaches AND the Trent, but why would Trent have confidence in the teams schemes. IMHO it is a shame to watch them srcew up another young QB.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am soooo sick of this Captain Checkdown crap. Would we rather have JP back... A guy who could only throw the long ball, but sucked at checking down? Or would you rather scrap Trent and drat yet another QB hoping that they progress fast enough for us to be in the playoffs? What would that be another 2-3 years?

I am soooo sick of this Captain Checkdown crap. Would we rather have JP back... A guy who could only throw the long ball, but sucked at checking down? Or would you rather scrap Trent and drat yet another QB hoping that they progress fast enough for us to be in the playoffs? What would that be another 2-3 years?

Do you think Trent will suddenly start to improve? I don't. It's his 3rd year and nothing has changed, if not gotten worse. The "checkdown" problem has been there since last year and Trent has done nothing to change it. Drafting a QB isn't what we want to see, but it's better than spinning ones wheels in vain.

If Trent is unable to put points on the board, then yes Trent must go.

Do you think Trent will suddenly start to improve? I don't. It's his 3rd year and nothing has changed, if not gotten worse. The "checkdown" problem has been there since last year and Trent has done nothing to change it. Drafting a QB isn't what we want to see, but it's better than spinning ones wheels in vain.

I think that Trent is a good QB with potential to be great. Look we all know that Schonert had to go, we all know that Dick is not the long term answer and that he had to learn the ropes by sitting behind JP. Those items can seriously affect any players growth, let alone your QBs.

Personally, I think he is still going to get better. It's few and far in between that you find QBs becoming stars in the NFL in their first, second or even third year.

People also have to remember that Trent and the Bills were 5-1 before having a ridiculous amount of injuries.

Really? Schobel and Greer were the only starters on either side of the ball to miss more than three games last year.

Because you have been correct so often over the years, your opinion of Trent concerns me.

At this time however I respectfully disagree. Imo the kid is good, but there is also no logical reason to not expect him to get his brains beat in on the Buffalo Bills, a team built on defensive backs and special team gadget players. That is how we roll. Flutie was different because he thrived on broken plays, and made the neglected, non-talented OL seem not as bad.

The hope that I cling to is the new interior OL, but the desperate need at OT, and for that matter DT isn't going away.

Because you have been correct so often over the years, your opinion of Trent concerns me.

At this time however I respectfully disagree. Imo the kid is good, but there is also no logical reason to not expect him to get his brains beat in on the Buffalo Bills, a team built on defensive backs and special team gadget players. That is how we roll. Flutie was different because he thrived on broken plays, and made the neglected, non-talented OL seem not as bad.

The hope that I cling to is the new interior OL, but the desperate need at OT, and for that matter DT isn't going away.

This team has an average to above average o-line right now. The line might be made up of rookies and no-namers outside of Buffalo, but it is doing a decent job. It is opening up lanes for the run game and providing decent protection in the pass game. Other than late in games, in obvious passing situations, when has it looked badly outclassed? I just don't see it. The unit gives up dumb penalties and has had a few miscommunications but it has played solid and doesn't deserve the blame.

How many more weapons does this team need? You claim it is a team full of gadget players but Parrish is the only one. Owens, Evans, and Reed are just plain nasty. Fred Jackson has performed as well as any RB in the league not named Peterson. Even Schouman looked like a solid player coming into his own this season.

This team is a solid QB away from competing. I'm not saying they would be a SB contender just yet, but certainly a playoff contender. Enjoy the constant eight in the box this afternoon!

Find one person that said that.

It bugs me that we brought in TO and gave Lee an extension to be decoys for Derek Fine and Jonathan Stupar. That doesnt sound like a winning formula to me and i doubt thats the game plan every week

I think that Trent is a good QB with potential to be great. Look we all know that Schonert had to go, we all know that Dick is not the long term answer and that he had to learn the ropes by sitting behind JP. Those items can seriously affect any players growth, let alone your QBs.

Personally, I think he is still going to get better. It's few and far in between that you find QBs becoming stars in the NFL in their first, second or even third year.

I don't agree with you that Trent will be great, but I do agree that he's not necessarily the issue. It's a combo of things that kills the Bills:

1. Too predictable offensively...allowing teams to take away their two biggest threats...they have to get creative and find ways to get TO, Lee and Roscoe the ball

2. Jauron is a football conservative...and others know it....he coaches it into his players offensively and defensively...he will make the conservative decision 99.999% of the time...outside of a first 1st qtr wrinkles he's thrown in

3. The O-line is still too inexperienced, and too thin at this point

Find one person that said that.

It bugs me that we brought in TO and gave Lee an extension to be decoys for Derek Fine and Jonathan Stupar. That doesnt sound like a winning formula to me and i doubt thats the game plan every week

My point is simply this... Trent is the guy. Anybody else at this point = right off the season.

I'll give you that I would love to see them stretch the field a bit, but not everything is his fault. And really Captain Checkdown... nobody called Brady that when came back to beat the Bills week 1.

I seriously hope I'm wrong. Nothing would be more disconcerting than having to find yet another QB. But time is running short.

I think that DT, and defense in general, is fine currently (although mounting injuries are starting to worry me). The score was 10-7 for the first 50 minutes of the game last weekend. But Stroud is getting older and more depth/his replacement would be nice for the future. As for OT, injuries have killed the Bills there with Butler being lost and Bell nursing his injury. But there were chances last weekend that Trent failed to take advantage of, despite the OT situation.

Guest dog14787
This team has an average to above average o-line right now. The line might be made up of rookies and no-namers outside of Buffalo, but it is doing a decent job. It is opening up lanes for the run game and providing decent protection in the pass game. Other than late in games, in obvious passing situations, when has it looked badly outclassed? I just don't see it. The unit gives up dumb penalties and has had a few miscommunications but it has played solid and doesn't deserve the blame.

How many more weapons does this team need? You claim it is a team full of gadget players but Parrish is the only one. Owens, Evans, and Reed are just plain nasty. Fred Jackson has performed as well as any RB in the league not named Peterson. Even Schouman looked like a solid player coming into his own this season.

This team is a solid QB away from competing. I'm not saying they would be a SB contender just yet, but certainly a playoff contender. Enjoy the constant eight in the box this afternoon!

Three games in and Trent has played well in two. You guys just don't give up do you. How about at least giving the O-line and our new OC a chance to get up to speed before making a determination, doesn't that make more sense then running down our starting QB after one bad game.

Captain Checkdown, Trenative Edwards, glove wearing Mary, whatever you want to call him, he leads our football team. Regardless of TE's stats he is our starting QB right now and its pretty pathetic I can come onto this forum and see a pole were half the fan base chooses to support TE this year win or lose, but yet nobody chooses to open their mouths in our QB's defense.

I'll stand behind our QB and I'll back our starting QB and one day when he's doing well I won't expect anybody to come back and say they were wrong because chances are you will be on the next crusade against someone else that plays for the Buffalo Bills. (not directed at you push)

My point is simply this... Trent is the guy. Anybody else at this point = right off the season.

I'll give you that I would love to see them stretch the field a bit, but not everything is his fault. And really Captain Checkdown... nobody called Brady that when came back to beat the Bills week 1.

um ... well ... uh ... how does anyone respond to that comment? let's consider the options.

1) evidently, you didn't see the game, or the final 2:06 of it.

2) evidently, the final score hasn't reached your home.

3) according to the intrawebs, brady brought them back to victory.

4) brady's a proven winner.

5) you're mistaken.

6) you're quite mistaken.

7) getch'er facts straight.

8) i can't believe you posted that.

9) Trent is what guy?

10) did you mean "write?"

jw

Three games in and Trent has played well in two. You guys just don't give up do you. How about at least giving the O-line and our new OC a chance to get up to speed before making a determination, doesn't that make more sense then running down our starting QB after one bad game.

Captain Checkdown, Trenative Edwards, glove wearing Mary, whatever you want to call him, he leads our football team. Regardless of TE's stats he is our starting QB right now and its pretty pathetic I can come onto this forum and see a pole were half the fan base chooses to support TE this year win or lose, but yet nobody chooses to open their mouths in our QB's defense.

I'll stand behind our QB and I'll back our starting QB and one day when he's doing well I won't expect anybody to come back and say they were wrong because chances are you will be on the next crusade against someone else that plays for the Buffalo Bills. (not directed at you push)

Trent may be the QB at the moment , but he sure is not the "leader" this team desperately needs.

The major problem is that there is no leadership from the players or the coaches.

Guest dog14787
Trent may be the QB at the moment , but he sure is not the "leader" this team desperately needs.

The major problem is that there is no leadership from the players or the coaches.

All the leadership in the world doesn't replace inexperience and in the face of adversity so far Trent Edwards has proved his leadership abilities in my opinion by never pointing the finger or wavering from his convictions.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I completely disagree with yours.

Lori I believe at one point we had multiple players gone... starters and backups

The four-game stretch that turned the season:

@MIA - Butler, Schobel, Youboty out, DiGiorgio to IR, McGee gimpy. Preston in for Fowler, Scott for Simpson, coach's decision.

NYJ - Butler, McCargo, Reed, Schobel, Youboty out.

@NE - Butler, Reed, Schobel, Whitner out, Youboty to IR. Corner and McKelvin started with McGee and Greer (Bills opened in dime), Wilson in for Whitner.

CLE - Butler and Whitner back. Reed and Schobel out. Everyone else played.

The NE game was the worst, with four starters sidelined. They're down more than that right now. Not that I'm trying to make it a major issue, but I'll still disagree about a "ridiculous" amount of injuries. Unfortunately, that's part of the game, and something every team has to deal with.