Trent Edwards - Where do you stand?

MURTR

Trent Edwards  

247 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Trent Edwards

• He still is young, let him ride out the year.
    • I wish I could put a gun to his head and make him throw to a WR, bring on the Ryan Fitzpatrick Experience.
    • This seasons over, bring in a real veteran QB in the offseason and force TE to win the job
    • This season is over, draft a QB early and have TE keep things warm for him.
    • I don't care

What is troublesome is, he once was able to attempt and complete "deep" passes and not I'm not talking about bombs here.

I saw him throwing a perfect fade route to Lee against the Rams last year.

I saw him standing in the pocket waiting to be hit by Terdell Sands and delivering a perfect pass to Roscoe for a TD against the Raiders.

I saw him throwing a perfect pass to Reed in the seam between 2 defenders to put us in position to win the game against the Redskins.

There are more examples but my point is that he used to complete those 15-20 yard passes that right now would make a big difference in the scorebaord with the way our defense is playing. Now is about short passes and the occasional bomb away.

I saw a guy playing with confidence, anticipation and being assertive in the passing game.

Is that guy gone? What are the reasons for this guy to dissapear? Can that be brought back?

He's young, so I voted let him ride the year, but if he keeps playing like this he will be no more than a back-up QB in this league.

Totally agree. He showed lots of flashes early on in his career but i think Adrian Wilson knocked some marbles loose because he has not been the same since.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...Your name says it all...Read the whole post...I think you'll see it's a coaching/play calling effort that I'm not thrilled with. Maybe or maybe not Trent ends up like your examples. For christ sake you have Lee Evans and TO...get them the F*&^ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the whole post.

And you made the following two claims:

"Let Trent loose."

and

"Bill Walsh loved him."

The implication being that the coaching staff is somehow "hindering" the potentially great Trentative Edwards.

First, I will not disagree that coaching and play calling is having a negative impact on Edwards, but Trent needs carry some of the blame himself.

IIRC, Trent has been set "loose", because he has the ability to audible. So, he's not locked into "running the play that is called".

Secondly, the Bill Walsh endorsement is meaningless. Other than Steve Young, Bill Walsh has been wrong with regards to all the other QBs he has praised coming out of college (with Edwards being an Incomplete at this point).

Thirdly, don't you find it "odd" how Trent has struggled again when facing a 3-4 defense, even when given the fact the Saints switched to it for this game?

this topic misses the point badly. until we have a legitimate head coach its impossible to say anything about trent edwards. and that applies to a lot of the team's young talent

Yeah dont hold your breath....so let me guess, you never developed an opinion on JP Losman or Mike Williams because they didnt have a legitimate head coach either? I dont disagree with you but you have to start evaluating people at some point.

I think Edwards has taken on the personality of Dick Jauron by osmosis. Play low-risk, not-to-lose football. Take only what the opponent gives you. Don't gamble, don't take risks, play the percentages.

What remains to be seen:

If (when) the Bills bring in a new head coach (and possibly OC), will he be able to re-ignite Edwards or is it too late to undo the damage?

Is there any chance that AVP will open up the offense, or would Jauron insist on the same conservative play calling?

Whats Trent Edwards record as a starter now? about 500? In 27 career games he has 22 touchdowns.

Trent is a mdicore quarterback. He would be great on a team that plays with a lead alot and has to protect the ball. On a team that expects to be high powered with TO and Evans on the outside he will lead an attack like we saw sunday. capt checkdown Is not a quaterback who will WIN the game for you. He wont LOSE which is why DJ loves him. He plays like his coach not to lose

i've said ad nauseum, we can't jerk him in and out of the lineup like they did with jp losman. let him play out this year. if he proves that he should be the starting qb next year, then re-sign him. if not, bring in a replacement.

Bill Walsh loved a bunch of different QBs during his time. He loved such luminaries as:

Joey Harrington

David Carr

Jake Plummer (the "next Joe Montana")

And speaking of Joe Montana, Walsh never wanted him in the first place. Somebody else in the 49ers organization did, and had to convince Walsh to draft Joe.

So Bill Walsh loved Trentative Edwards. Big Deal.

Bill also loved Steve Fuller and wanted to draft him in the first round. Only problem is Marv drafted him first. So Bill settled on Joe Montana a few rounds later . To Bill's defense on this, Steve did end up winning a grammy for his role in "the Super Bowl Shuffle".

Now that Marshawn is back, it's time for AVP to show Bills nation he has the stones to bring this offense out of it's shell. Number one, he needs to RUN THE BALL MORE. No way should this young OL ever play a game where it run blocks less then 25 times. Secondly, put Fast Freddy out in the slot WITH Lynch in the backfield. If that doesn't free up Evans or Owens, with the defense not knowing if Lynch will run the ball down their freakin' throats or Jackson will run a freakin' fly pattern right past their LB or safety trying to cover him, then nothing ever will.

But finally, fat Alex needs to come out of his OC chair and drill Trent with more TIMING passes to his wide receivers. You know, the ones that need to be thrown evern before the WR makes his break for the ball?? This way, Edwards won't have to watch for his WR to be wide open by 12 yards before he decides to throw the football. Instead, much like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, he can drop 3 to 5 steps and just throw the football at the spot Evans or Owens should be.

I very much agree with you. I was thinking about this last night and came to a similar thought. The biggest problem with this offense is the whole attitiude of "we take what the defense gives us". Do they honestly think the defense is going to give them the keys to a win? Of course not, the defense is going to do everything they can to limit the offense and there we are... playing right into their hands.

The Bills need to dictate to the defense. But how do they do that? Just as you said. Run the damn ball. We have 2 top flight RBs and a solid run blocking line. AVP needs to set up a run first offense. Pound it down the defense's throats. Loosen them up screens and then hit them with timing patterns to the WRs. And stop worrying about whether or not every play gets your 10 yards. Yes, when you run the ball plenty of runs will be stopped at the line. Screens will be shut down. But, its about dictating to the defense and wearing them down.

I said it before; I'd cut the play book down to about 12 plays and run them consistently. I'd limit Trent's reads to no more than 2 recievers. He needs to drop back, look once and throw on 2. He's obviously still too slow to go throw all his reads and figure out which one is the best option then throw it. Not only is he too slow, but the line can't hold their blocks for the 5-6 seconds he needs to do that.

Simplify the offense, simplify the reads, dictate with Lynch and Jackson, and consider putting a shock collar on Trent and zap his ass ever time he dumps off Fine.

Guest dog14787

Everyone is real high on Jon Gruden coming to Buffalo including myself, Well, Jon Gruden is real high on Trent Edwards and if he becomes HC for the Buffalo Bills TE is not going anywhere soon...

We just revamped our O-line, have another inexperienced and new OC who had 1 week to prepare for the season and a couple of Quacks for a HC and GM/ or whatever he is that let it all happen. Jon Gruden, being the intelligent fella that he is understands as much and could take this football team with the talent it has and turn it into a playoff contender.

I think he's limited by the coaching, but not necessarily because of the play calling or because he's being "coddled" as the OP implied. I think that the Jauron mentality of not taking any chances and going for the safe play instead of the big one has worn off on him. Also, seeing J.P. make a lot of costly turnovers probably compounded this problem. I don't think there's any question that Trent has the talent, but checking down to the RB on 4th and 23 has nothing to do with talent or play calling. Not sure if a new coach would fix this problem or if that's just the way he is, but trent will never succeed with his current mentality.

Everyone is real high on Jon Gruden coming to Buffalo including myself, Well, Jon Gruden is real high on Trent Edwards and if he becomes HC for the Buffalo Bills TE is not going anywhere soon...

We just revamped our O-line, have another inexperienced and new OC who had 1 week to prepare for the season and a couple of Quacks for a HC and GM/ or whatever he is that let it all happen. Jon Gruden, being the intelligent fella that he is understands as much and could take this football team with the talent it has and turn it into a playoff contender.

Right. Just like how Gruden was real high on Jeff George, acquired him and then... Oops!

I voted let him ride it out for the year

But it is 50/50 he makes threw the whole year behind a patchwork O-line

But after watching the game yesterday for the first time Id say it was a mixture of low snaps, non-adjustment of AVP in the game plan and bad protection and Trent missing some opportunities .

The first 2 games Trent played well enough to win. All QB's are gonna have bad days. Look at Kurt Warner. Two weeks ago he set a record for completion percentage. Sunday night he stuck up the place.

I hope Trent has a better than average game this week for his sake. Hope Joey Porter does not play that will help.

The Bills had a great offensive game plan for the Patriots, and yet failed badly against the Saints.

They knew Greg Williams was going to bring the heat, and he did...all game long. It bothers me to say it but AVP failed to compensate correctly and adjust with more draws and quick screens. If the DE's are coming full speed then you work to run to the spot they vacated. He is young and learning as he goes, hopefully he will get better.

I'd get TO into the game plan way more then he is,with end arounds, line him up in the slot, play him at tight end, reverse, double reverse, fake reverse. That guy should be touching the ball at least 12- 15 times a game, or more. He is still the best play maker on the Bills roster, not getting TO the ball is plain stupid. Your paying the guy 6 mill a year, let him earn it !!!!

Let me get this straight...We have one of the most prolific pass catching WR's in the history of football, and your idea for him to get more involved is a reverse, double reverse, and fake reverse? Line him up at Tight End too?...wow :unsure:

Geezus, ever heard of THROWING him the ball?????? Is our QB such a panzy that we have to hand the ball off to our Elite WR's in order for them to touch it?

Why is it every other #1 and #2 WR's in the NFL find ways to get into position to catch passes from their natural position of WR? ITs becuase when they do, their QB throws it to them.

Guest dog14787
Right. Just like how Gruden was real high on Jeff George, acquired him and then... Oops!

If Jon Gruden took over and could not get the results he wanted from TE, then he would do whatever he thinks is necessary.

Trent Edwards is a Jon Gruden type QB though in my opinion, TE's intelligent, accurate and he takes care of the football. Gruden could care less about having a high powered passing attack, he wants to win ball games any way he can, period.

I think Gruden would be licking his chops at the possible potential of the Buffalo Bills from a talent standpoint.

Jon Gruden is over rated. After winning the SB with Dungy's team in a game where even Keyshawn said they had a massive advantage as they knew everything Oak was going to do, he went on to run that team in the ground. Never had a back to back winning season after that until his last 2 years where he went 9-7 both years and only made playoffs once, had a worse collapse last year then we did losing four straight to end the season after they were leading the division with 4 games left and missed the playoffs.

Is he an upgrade over DJ, sure, but there are other coaches out there that are better choices.

And more importantly, when how and where is Jon Gruden coming to Buffalo? Are you talking about that BS rumor someone heard about a limo company picking him up at the airport yesterday? I mean how gullible can you be on this board when Gruden was on Monday night football in another state yesterday...

Jon Gruden also hates young QB's, especially ones that play like Trent.

If Jon Gruden took over and could not get the results he wanted from TE, then he would do whatever he thinks is necessary.

Trent Edwards is a Jon Gruden type QB though in my opinion, TE's intelligent, accurate and he takes care of the football. Gruden could care less about having a high powered passing attack, he wants to win ball games any way he can, period.

I think Gruden would be licking his chops at the possible potential of the Buffalo Bills from a talent standpoint.

Come on Dog, be realistic here...do you even watch Trent play? He is NOT accurate...sure when he throws 2-7 yards, but he is not a very accurate down the field passer. He has made some throws, but for every good throw down field he throws 2 or 3 bad ones.

Protects the ball? He has more turnovers than TD's in his career. He even fumbled 9 times in 12 games last year...

Gruden could care less about a high powered passing attack? hahahaha, man you know nothing about Gruden...thats exactly what his offense is based on...a high powered passing attack...

I agree, this team has enough talent to be attractive to another coach, but come on with all statements about how great Trent is at things he is not great at...

Come on Dog, be realistic here...do you even watch Trent play? He is NOT accurate...sure when he throws 2-7 yards, but he is not a very accurate down the field passer. He has made some throws, but for every good throw down field he throws 2 or 3 bad ones.

Protects the ball? He has more turnovers than TD's in his career. He even fumbled 9 times in 12 games last year...

Gruden could care less about a high powered passing attack? hahahaha, man you know nothing about Gruden...thats exactly what his offense is based on...a high powered passing attack...

I agree, this team has enough talent to be attractive to another coach, but come on with all statements about how great Trent is at things he is not great at...

Ok, we get it. You hate Trent. Well he's the Bills' QB this season so you don't have to watch. It's funny that guys like yourself were silent after the first 2 good games and now after a bad one just pop up again. Go Bills

Guest dog14787
Jon Gruden is over rated. After winning the SB with Dungy's team in a game where even Keyshawn said they had a massive advantage as they knew everything Oak was going to do, he went on to run that team in the ground. Never had a back to back winning season after that until his last 2 years where he went 9-7 both years and only made playoffs once, had a worse collapse last year then we did losing four straight to end the season after they were leading the division with 4 games left and missed the playoffs.

Is he an upgrade over DJ, sure, but there are other coaches out there that are better choices.

And more importantly, when how and where is Jon Gruden coming to Buffalo? Are you talking about that BS rumor someone heard about a limo company picking him up at the airport yesterday? I mean how gullible can you be on this board when Gruden was on Monday night football in another state yesterday...

Jon Gruden also hates young QB's, especially ones that play like Trent.

Pure speculation on your part.

Jon Gruden is still young and will only get better with experience in my opinion. All you have to do is listen to the guy talk football to get a true sense of what kind of a football mind he really is and Jon Gruden knows and loves the game of football. We listen to many head coaches in the media and Jon Gruden strikes me as one of the more passionate, intelligent and exciting HC 's in the league, but that's just my personal opinion.

I like Jon Gruden...