Trent Edwards - Where do you stand?

MURTR

Trent Edwards  

247 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Trent Edwards

• He still is young, let him ride out the year.
    • I wish I could put a gun to his head and make him throw to a WR, bring on the Ryan Fitzpatrick Experience.
    • This seasons over, bring in a real veteran QB in the offseason and force TE to win the job
    • This season is over, draft a QB early and have TE keep things warm for him.
    • I don't care

I personally think that he has been coddled way to much. He is not a rookie anymore. I wish we had a coach who would get in his face on the sideline and tell him to throw the damn ball.

I am not going to lie, I was pretty excited about him in the beginning of last year especially during the comeback wins against OAK and JAX (turned out both those teams were not that good), but I leaped off the wagon after the Cleveland game. I still to this day, have never seen a more timid and scared QB in my life. I don't think he is the answer, but I also know Ryan Fitzpatrick probably isnt either so let him ride out the season and lets see if he can prove us wrong.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that he has been coddled way to much. He is not a rookie anymore. I wish we had a coach who would get in his face on the sideline and tell him to throw the damn ball.

I am not going to lie, I was pretty excited about him in the beginning of last year especially during the comeback wins against OAK and JAX (turned out both those teams were not that good), but I leaped off the wagon after the Cleveland game. I still to this day, have never seen a more timid and scared QB in my life. I don't think he is the answer, but I also know Ryan Fitzpatrick probably isnt either so let him ride out the season and lets see if he can prove us wrong.

What makes you think a coach "getting in his face" is going to lead to completions? I think Trent and the coaching staff each know Trent's capabilities better than any fan. Are you gonna shout a DE into making a sack? Yell a running back into being fast enough to break around the corner? Threaten a safety into becoming a sure tackler?

He isn't good enough, and he knows it. The coaching staff does too.

What makes you think a coach "getting in his face" is going to lead to completions? I think Trent and the coaching staff each know Trent's capabilities better than any fan. Are you gonna shout a DE into making a sack? Yell a running back into being fast enough to break around the corner? Threaten a safety into becoming a sure tackler?

He isn't good enough, and he knows it. The coaching staff does too.

I guess i personally want to see it so I have some comfort that our coaching staff is letting him know that this type of **** wont fly. I usually am not into the whole in your face/belittling players type of coaches but I think that type of tough love is probably the only thing that can turn him into some semblance of a starting NFL QB.

Maybe he needs a sit-down with Jim Kelly. I'm personally sick of the tendency of the team (and some fans) to go into panic mode with our QBs. Whatever happened to development? The guy needs proper coaching. My suggestion is that they let AVP concentrate on the OC spot and find a good QB coach.

The Bills had a great offensive game plan for the Patriots, and yet failed badly against the Saints.

They knew Greg Williams was going to bring the heat, and he did...all game long. It bothers me to say it but AVP failed to compensate correctly and adjust with more draws and quick screens. If the DE's are coming full speed then you work to run to the spot they vacated. He is young and learning as he goes, hopefully he will get better.

I'd get TO into the game plan way more then he is,with end arounds, line him up in the slot, play him at tight end, reverse, double reverse, fake reverse. That guy should be touching the ball at least 12- 15 times a game, or more. He is still the best play maker on the Bills roster, not getting TO the ball is plain stupid. Your paying the guy 6 mill a year, let him earn it !!!!

Maybe he needs a sit-down with Jim Kelly. I'm personally sick of the tendency of the team (and some fans) to go into panic mode with our QBs. Whatever happened to development? The guy needs proper coaching. My suggestion is that they let AVP concentrate on the OC spot and find a good QB coach.

I think your right, Trent needs to be coached so he can develop, and as for being timid well he was under constant in your face pressure all day. He needs time to get the ball out. Throwing the deep ball isnt going to help this team if thats the only play they have. Tom Brady isnt any good when hes getting blitzed and under pressure all day either.

The Bills had a great offensive game plan for the Patriots, and yet failed badly against the Saints.

They knew Greg Williams was going to bring the heat, and he did...all game long. It bothers me to say it but AVP failed to compensate correctly and adjust with more draws and quick screens. If the DE's are coming full speed then you work to run to the spot they vacated. He is young and learning as he goes, hopefully he will get better.

I'd get TO into the game plan way more then he is,with end arounds, line him up in the slot, play him at tight end, reverse, double reverse, fake reverse. That guy should be touching the ball at least 12- 15 times a game, or more. He is still the best play maker on the Bills roster, not getting TO the ball is plain stupid. Your paying the guy 6 mill a year, let him earn it !!!!

Jackson is the best playmaker on this team.

I voted "I don't Care" since there wasn't a None of the Above option. TE siumply needs to be coached better. The Rochester D&C said it best this morning, he needs to throw the ball and let his receivers make plays. He obviously is coached NOT to make game breaking mistakes, so he doesn't try to make these types of completions.

I was initially on the Edwards bandwagon, but after 3 weeks, I am VERY tired of not seeing any completions to out $16MM WR tandem. Let them make some plays.

And for the love of God, why can't the Bills ever make a completion to a soft seam in a zone defense? Is every team plauying man to man on every play?? Come on . . .

I think TO said it correctly...and made a point of it..."the plays that were called" Let Trent loose! Bill Walsh loved him. Let's see if he's as good as Bill thought.

IMO...Jauron is best left a Def Coord.

Bill Walsh loved a bunch of different QBs during his time. He loved such luminaries as:

Joey Harrington

David Carr

Jake Plummer (the "next Joe Montana")

And speaking of Joe Montana, Walsh never wanted him in the first place. Somebody else in the 49ers organization did, and had to convince Walsh to draft Joe.

So Bill Walsh loved Trentative Edwards. Big Deal.

What is troublesome is, he once was able to attempt and complete "deep" passes and not I'm not talking about bombs here.

I saw him throwing a perfect fade route to Lee against the Rams last year.

I saw him standing in the pocket waiting to be hit by Terdell Sands and delivering a perfect pass to Roscoe for a TD against the Raiders.

I saw him throwing a perfect pass to Reed in the seam between 2 defenders to put us in position to win the game against the Redskins.

There are more examples but my point is that he used to complete those 15-20 yard passes that right now would make a big difference in the scorebaord with the way our defense is playing. Now is about short passes and the occasional bomb away.

I saw a guy playing with confidence, anticipation and being assertive in the passing game.

Is that guy gone? What are the reasons for this guy to dissapear? Can that be brought back?

He's young, so I voted let him ride the year, but if he keeps playing like this he will be no more than a back-up QB in this league.

Bill Walsh loved a bunch of different QBs during his time. He loved such luminaries as:

Joey Harrington

David Carr

And speaking of Joe Montana, Walsh never wanted him in the first place. Somebody else in the 49ers organization did, and had to convince Walsh to draft Joe.

Well...Your name says it all...Read the whole post...I think you'll see it's a coaching/play calling effort that I'm not thrilled with. Maybe or maybe not Trent ends up like your examples. For christ sake you have Lee Evans and TO...get them the F*&^ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that Marshawn is back, it's time for AVP to show Bills nation he has the stones to bring this offense out of it's shell. Number one, he needs to RUN THE BALL MORE. No way should this young OL ever play a game where it run blocks less then 25 times. Secondly, put Fast Freddy out in the slot WITH Lynch in the backfield. If that doesn't free up Evans or Owens, with the defense not knowing if Lynch will run the ball down their freakin' throats or Jackson will run a freakin' fly pattern right past their LB or safety trying to cover him, then nothing ever will.

But finally, fat Alex needs to come out of his OC chair and drill Trent with more TIMING passes to his wide receivers. You know, the ones that need to be thrown evern before the WR makes his break for the ball?? This way, Edwards won't have to watch for his WR to be wide open by 12 yards before he decides to throw the football. Instead, much like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, he can drop 3 to 5 steps and just throw the football at the spot Evans or Owens should be.

Joey Harrington

David Carr

A funny aside, NFL Network had a replay of a 2002 preseason special highlighting high profile rookies hoping to make an impact. The featured stars? David Carr, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams & Jeremy Shockey. :unsure: