USC Running Back Rushed to Hospital

cmjoyce113

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...ed-to-hospital/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...rgoing-surgery/

Hopefully this kid is okay. I hate USC but hearing something like this is terrbile. Hopefully he will be okay. Not only do I hope this wont affect his every day life, I hpoe it doesnt affect his pro career as he was a senior.

When Bench Pressing the bar slipped out of his hand and landed on his throat.

I can only think back to when I could have had something very similar happen to me...I had just gotten back into lifting after about 6 months off due to shoulder issues. I had gotten back up to about 225 lbs or so and was trying to increase the weight a little too fast apparently. I did about 2 or 3 reps and then the bar wouldn't barely move from my chest. I was pushing as hard as I could and I heard a loud "pop'. I screamed pretty loud and somehow someway got the bar back up with assistance from a guy who heard the pop from about 10 feet away and came over to help. I ended up with a grade 2 tear of my left pectoral muscle and sometimes wonder what would have happened if I was in there at my normal time in the early morning when I was often the only person in that part of the gym. Anyways, its crazy that something like that happened to the kid and it demonstrates why spotters are so important in both instances...

This is just freaky...I'm praying for the kid.

One question - was anyone spotting him? If so, where was the spotter?

According to USCTrojans.com, Johnson was bench-pressing with a spotter when the bar slipped out of his right hand and fell at an angle onto his throat.

This is just freaky...I'm praying for the kid.

One question - was anyone spotting him? If so, where was the spotter?

I've competed in both powerlifting and bodybuilding competitions since high school, and with the weight this kid was probably using, there isn't much a spotter can do when someone loses their grip while benching. Think about it, nearly all football programs focus on explosive, low reps, over many sets. With probably at least 225 lbs on the bar, and with the spotter keeping his hands a couple of inches under the bar, when that bar is dropped all the spotter can do is attempt to slow it down and then rerack the bar as soon as possible.

The only thing the can prevent something like this from happening is benching in a power rack, and/or buying a pair of spotter extensions. Hopefully he is okay...

that's scary stuff. I screwed up my left shoulder a few years ago, and after I thought that it had sufficiently healed, I started benching again. Well, I did about 6 reps, and then my left arm just went out as I was trying to hoist #7. Luckily, the bar was only a few inches off my chest at the time, and I was able to shove the bar off with my right arm. I was scared shitless, though.

Hope the kid's OK

ESPN reported this morning that he had surgery and is expected to be fine, eventually, but his season is likely over.

I'm actually kind of surprized this doesn't happen more often, spotter or not.

No question. How much do spotters actually pay attention anyway?

I dunno, a Smith would prevent something like this, but what USC or any college athlete would be benching with a Smith? Too much pride.

I'm not a jacked dude, I can only put up 185 for 4 or 5 at most right now. But I NEVER bench without a spot. If for some reason my buddy is busy I'll do dumbbell press or something. Maybe, like I said, I'm not as much as a brah as some people, but I don't have a problem asking for a lift on the beginning rep. Make sure the bar is set over your chest before you negative. I mean, this all sounds basic, but who knows what happened there. Having the bar fall on your throat would mean that it was over his throat when he lifted it, which would have to be when he was either racking or starting a set.

I don't understand why USC wouldn't be strict on player safety when lifting serious weight. It's in their best interest as a program. Something is a miss here.

I work with the orthopod (Michael Kaplan) who appears on ESPNews talking about the week(end)'s sport injuries. I was doing an ENT case earlier this morning and he came in and asked the ENT about the player's prognosis. The ENT said that it depends on the extent of damage, but thought the player was F'ed, at least from a football standpoint. But the ENT's who worked (for 7 hours) on the kid seem to think he'll make a full recovery. Hopefully that proves to be true.

No question. How much do spotters actually pay attention anyway?

A spotter isn't going to help much if you actually drop the entire bar.....if your struggling to get that last rep or two they will help but that would take pretty quick reactions and a great deal of strength to be able to grab a bar and prevent it from hitting the one lifting the weights.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...ed-to-hospital/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...rgoing-surgery/

Hopefully this kid is okay. I hate USC but hearing something like this is terrbile. Hopefully he will be okay. Not only do I hope this wont affect his every day life, I hpoe it doesnt affect his pro career as he was a senior.

When Bench Pressing the bar slipped out of his hand and landed on his throat.

I new a kid when I first started working at the bank that actually died in something similar. Lifting weights in his apartment, no spotter & somehow the bar fell on his neck & broke his neck. Hoepfully he will be alright.

I am with you. Smith machine helps you isolate the muscle as well...

I agree they are much safer and anybody who is lifting by themselves should use a smith machine but a regular free bench actually isolates the muscle better....dumbbells even better. When I used to go for broke on my bench press and knew I was lifting an amount of weight I would struggle with I would even use 3 spotters...One behind the the bar and two on each side of the bar with their hands directly under the weight at all times.

I am with you. Smith machine helps you isolate the muscle as well...

Isolating hte muscle is only good if you are into body building and want to show off your sweet x,y, or z

for everyday strength your muscles work together, which is why free weights are always always always better than nautilus or smith machines..because they exercise muscles that otherwise probably wouldn't get worked on.