This Disgusts Me in a Way that Leaves Me Without Words

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you recommend to deal with this issue in the future?

I would suggest common sense. Give them the coverage because obviously something is going on here. If they research it and find out they gave them coverage when they shouldn't have, big deal, they've helped a vet who served our country. JMO

When I worked at Strong in the inpatient pharmacy they had a bunch of cancers show up. %agewise more than any other department. They had "experts" come and check it out. (All of them worked for Strong. :beer: IIRC, they refused to hire an outside expert to come in. :P ) They said because they were different types of cancers that it couldn't be something in the Pharmacy basement space.

Interestingly the Radiology Dept. and MRI Dept. Were on either side of the inpatient pharmacy. :unsure:

Well, you know, it's much fairer to bail out failed banks, inept car companies and so on. Now if these Marines were tied to a strong union or protected by the Federal Reserve, then it would be necessary to help them out for the good of the nation.

Even in the military, where there's the general idea that they have a sense of camaraderie that goes past money or risk (e.g. 'No man left behind'), it comes down to the almighty dollar. They do not hesitate to chew you up and spit you out, and then blame paperwork, 'the system' or some other vaguery.

Frankly, if they had any sense of decency, they'd just say, "Even though the military caused your problem, we're not going to pay for it." Agent Orange. Gulf War Syndrome. Lyme Disease that just happened to have its origin a bit across the water from Plum Island. Admit to it? It'd cost too much on the margin. Hence why we have campaigns of silence and people acting like they don't know what's going on. And if they do admit to it, it's only after enough time has passed (and enough affected people have died) to reduce the cost to 'acceptable' levels. This SOP is by no means exclusive to the military.

Even in the military, where there's the general idea that they have a sense of camaraderie that goes past money or risk (e.g. 'No man left behind'), it comes down to the almighty dollar.

Because camaraderie is interpersonal; money is bureaucratic. There's never been a bureaucracy made that's had a sense of comradeship with anybody.

As a child I lived in Jacksonville N.C, my father was a Master Gunnery Seargent out in Camp Lejeune, and we were talking about this recently, and it also disgusts him to no end. It's not so much that someone is making a decision on this, it is the bureaucracy of it that is !@#$ing things up.

These men have given their everything for this nation, and now it is somewhat humiliating to have a missing nipple and live with having breast cancer. Really sad

Welcome to the world of government-run ANYTHING.

Horrible, disgraceful and an embarrassment to the US taxpayer that our taxes don't go toward the truly important things in life.

Like universal health coverage? Seems like that would have solved the health related issues for these uninsured vets.

So much for government run health care.

Maybe these Marines just needed a 'public option'. :rolleyes:

Disgusting story indeed. And one that should serve as a warning to what lies ahead if we hand over our healthcare system to a corrupt and inept federal government.

This situation has absolutely nothing to do with government run health care but most of the comments so far are just bashing government run health care. :censored:

If anyone bothered to read the article, it is about veterans who claimed they were sickened while serving or living near a military base. Because a causal link has not been found between living there and there illness, the VA has refused to cover these illnesses as "service related"

Do you think that if they were covered under private medical insurance at the time they lived on the base, that the private insurance company would agree to cover them years later when they got sick and claim that it started years ago when they were covered??

Maybe you should try to vilify these vets for being uninsured. That seems like a better right-wing argument.

This situation has absolutely nothing to do with government run health care but most of the comments so far are just bashing government run health care. <_<

If anyone bothered to read the article, it is about veterans who claimed they were sickened while serving or living near a military base. Because a causal link has not been found between living there and there illness, the VA has refused to cover these illnesses as "service related"

Do you think that if they were covered under private medical insurance at the time they lived on the base, that the private insurance company would agree to cover them years later when they got sick and claim that it started years ago when they were covered??

Maybe you should try to vilify these vets for being uninsured. That seems like a better right-wing argument.

The VA manages the largest U.S. health care system, with more than 1,400 medical facilities. If it cannot handle the challenge of caring for 8 million veterans, how will a government bureaucracy manage a system dealing with 300 million Americans? The same way. By rationing and denying.

How long did VietNam veterans have to fight to have Agent Orange declared a carcinogen? And what about Gulf War syndrome? Governments run by BOTH parties have a LONG history of completely ignoring our veterans after they've outlived their usefulness. It is digusting and shameful. It also has nothing to do with healthcare reform.

How long did VietNam veterans have to fight to have Agent Orange declared a carcinogen? And what about Gulf War syndrome? Governments run by BOTH parties have a LONG history of completely ignoring our veterans after they've outlived their usefulness. It is digusting and shameful. It also has nothing to do with healthcare reform.

It has very little to do with healthcare reform but everything to do with the healthcare reform debate. I think most of us are very concerned about the government's proposed heavy involvement in healthcare and feel it is not a wise move seeing they seem to screw up everything they get involved in, regardless of party. Does healthcare need reforming? Sure but not taken over.

It has very little to do with healthcare reform but everything to do with the healthcare reform debate. I think most of us are very concerned about the government's proposed heavy involvement in healthcare and feel it is not a wise move seeing they seem to screw up everything they get involved in, regardless of party. Does healthcare need reforming? Sure but not taken over.

The government is not going to own the hospitals. The doctors and nurses are not going to be government employees.

IF that were the case, I'd be against it too.

Fear and scare, fear and scare... the greatest political tactic. I am not sure what you mean by taken over nor what they mean by it either.

Speaking of which, I faked a goalie out so bad last night he had something pop in his ankle.... Carted him off... and he got a ride to the Hospital... Hope he is okay... didn't even know he was hurt till I got to the bench celebrating and saw he wasn't getting up.

Luckily we had two EMTs and a PA on the ice at the time.... Doesn't look like he broke anything, tendon or muscle... Yikes.

Speaking of which, I faked a goalie out so bad last night he had something pop in his ankle.... Carted him off... and he got a ride to the Hospital... Hope he is okay... didn't even know he was hurt till I got to the bench celebrating and saw he wasn't getting up.

Luckily we had two EMTs and a PA on the ice at the time.... Doesn't look like he broke anything, tendon or muscle... Yikes.

That'll be taken care of by the "Old farts are no longer allowed to play hockey" rider in the health care bill, I'm sure. :wallbash: