Big Bad Riot Police in Pittsburgh

DrDawkinstein

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

doing a great job

I would love to know if the action in the first video is SOPs. It looks to be absurdly aggressive and violent but the cops don't seem to be hiding their behavior. Are the cops above the law? Are the cops acting on instruction? Do the cops have a very valid reason for their behavior?

My knee jerk reaction is that this is ridiculous and actually could have the opposite effects the cops desire.

Yawn. It's very easy to hold a peaceful protest, something these people have no intention of doing. Fun part is, you ask half of them what they are protesting against and they couldn't tell you.

Yeah, the bike girl was too aggresive at first, but the proper response is not to throw your bike at them, it's to get the !@#$ out of there. A casual walk generally isn't a good idea. I'd also like to see what preceded the pushing. A lot of times these videos are conveniently edited.

The second video.... tough ****. You're told to disperse and you hang around then expect to have force used against you. Leave means leave, not hang around and act all tough like the rules don't apply to you.

You're kidding me right? That was excessive?? You're in a group that's being moved along by riot police, expect to be prodded a bit. You throw your bike at a cop expect to get a baton in the back of the head.

dude, she got cross checked before she "threw" her bike at him

it sure looks like she was trying to get going but the first shove knocked her off the bike, then she gets cross checked... as a citizen, where do you stand up for yourself?

Yawn. It's very easy to hold a peaceful protest, something these people have no intention of doing. Fun part is, you ask half of them what they are protesting against and they couldn't tell you.

except that they have video documented evidence of Police Plants at other Summit protests dressed as protesters trying to stir trouble and getting protesters to throw things. gimme a minute, ill dig up the video. i do agree however, that most of these people have no idea what theyre protesting. but that doesnt excuse the police's behavior.

edit:

Yeah, the bike girl was too aggresive at first, but the proper response is not to throw your bike at them, it's to get the !@#$ out of there. A casual walk generally isn't a good idea. I'd also like to see what preceded the pushing. A lot of times these videos are conveniently edited.

The second video.... tough ****. You're told to disperse and you hang around then expect to have force used against you. Leave means leave, not hang around and act all tough like the rules don't apply to you.

so youre basically saying that we shouldnt have the right to assemble?

except that they have video documented evidence of Police Plants at other Summit protests dressed as protesters trying to stir trouble and getting protesters to throw things. gimme a minute, ill dig up the video. i do agree however, that most of these people have no idea what theyre protesting. but that doesnt excuse the police's behavior.

Oh, bull ****. About 5% of the people who attend these protests are professional protesters who's only purpose there is to start trouble and blame it on the authorities - and they are very effective at it (they are, after all, professionals). That includes these ridiculous allegations of "plants" trying to cause trouble. :unsure:

so youre basically saying that we shouldnt have the right to assemble?

I see plenty of people assembling in those videos. The simple fact that there ARE videos is itself an indication of how "oppressive" the "oppression" is.

Oh, bull ****. About 5% of the people who attend these protests are professional protesters who's only purpose there is to start trouble and blame it on the authorities - and they are very effective at it (they are, after all, professionals). That includes these ridiculous allegations of "plants" trying to cause trouble. :unsure:

see linked video in my edit...

They were told they could protest until 11 PM. Both of the videos are from after 11 PM when the cops were tellig them to disperse.

well thank to for whoever gets to make the rules of what people can do when. right to assemble only runs from 9am to 11pm. noted.

(but thanks for the info wacka, that kinda changes the perspective)

well thank to for whoever gets to make the rules of what people can do when. right to assemble only runs from 9am to 11pm. noted.

Noise ordinances usually go in effect at 10 PM. The cops were being nice.

Right to assemble does not give one the right to disturb the peace.