Big Bad Riot Police in Pittsburgh

DrDawkinstein

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, do you think what happened before the bike being thrown was warranted? I am not condoning her actions, but the police in this instance are hardly innocent victims.

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened before. All I know is if the cops ask me to leave an area, I'm not going to throw my bike at them.

so youre basically saying that we shouldnt have the right to assemble?

From Cincy's link

Thursday's gathering was organized by a local anarchist group, whose members said that as a sign of defiance, they intentionally did not obtain a permit to hold their protest.

Ummm, yeah. Of course we have the right to assemble. But there are guidelines in place to keep it orderly and prevent it from disrupting others lives who want no part in it. These people generally don't play by the rules. And yes, a minority will ruin it for the majority.

From Cincy's link

Ummm, yeah. Of course we have the right to assemble. But there are guidelines in place to keep it orderly and prevent it from disrupting others lives who want no part in it. These people generally don't play by the rules. And yes, a minority will ruin it for the majority.

Are their not guidelines for the police to follow also? Are you willing to give them the authority to hand out abuse as they seem fit? That is a very dangerous road to go down.

Are their not guidelines for the police to follow also? Are you willing to give them the authority to hand out abuse as they seem fit? That is a very dangerous road to go down.

From my first post.....

Yeah, the bike girl was too aggresive at first

Of course the police need to behave. They over step their bounds sometimes. I think they could have handled the bike girl better. But then again, there is nothing to show what lead up to that. If police use excessive force punish them, but in the second video there is none of that. Just protesters complaining when the police do their job.

except that they have video documented evidence of Police Plants at other Summit protests dressed as protesters trying to stir trouble and getting protesters to throw things. gimme a minute, ill dig up the video. i do agree however, that most of these people have no idea what theyre protesting. but that doesnt excuse the police's behavior.

edit:

so youre basically saying that we shouldnt have the right to assemble?

Quebec...ha. Call me when this is relevant to me as an American.

Seriously? I watched the video, the cops shouldn't have shoved her, but throwing her bike was a dumb move. The cops were :unsure: and were a bit overzealous both before and especially after, but she did something stupid. You file a complaint afterwards, not escalate the situation as it is happening.

Note that this support for the police does not apply to tasering grandmothers or arresting black professors on their own property. :censored:

Seriously? I watched the video, the cops shouldn't have shoved her, but throwing her bike was a dumb move. The cops were :unsure: and were a bit overzealous both before and especially after, but she did something stupid. You file a complaint afterwards, not escalate the situation as it is happening.

Note that this support for the police does not apply to tasering grandmothers. :censored:

We both agree on the throwing the bike is stupid, it is the brute force used on her BEFORE the throwing of the bike I have a problem with. If that was your wife, mother, daughter or grandmother that officer was cross checking,because they were not moving fast enough, would you(generally speaking) still think it was appropriate actions by the police? I know I would not!

We both agree on the throwing the bike is stupid, it is the brute force used on her BEFORE the throwing of the bike I have a problem with. If that was your wife, mother, daughter or grandmother that officer was cross checking,because they were not moving fast enough, would you(generally speaking) still think it was appropriate actions by the police? I know I would not!

IMO the cops should be reprimanded if the video isn't missing something. The first cop was just shoving her it looked like. He might have pushed her a little with the nightstick, but I missed anything really rough. She gets mad and hops off the bike it looks like (perhaps having nowhere to move forward), the second cop pushes her in the back with the nightstick. He didn't strike her. She then throws her bike, they beat the crap out of her (where are the damn tazers now for young people?) and she is arrested.

She was there to protest...