STUPAR

Guest dog14787
The GM's job is to acquire players. It is the Coaches job to decide which of those players play. I can't think of one successful team that the GM told the coach who to play. No decent coach would put up with that. In fact Bill Parcells had a famous saying regarding this subject. He said "If I'm cooking the dinner, I should have a say in buying the groceries." He wanted some control over who was acquired (the GM's job).

I never said the GM will actually tell the HC who to play, he doesn't have the authority, but he does have the capability to say look buddy, you better get it right or its your arss.

My original assumption is Russ Brandon faces undue pressure from Players Agents that can effect his decision making and that undue pressure should not be there, Brandon in turn passes on his concerns to our HC and its not supposed to work this way.

I admit I could be off base here and I don't mean to put a dampener on everyone's optimism.

Personally, I prefer having a GM.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Making what up, I don't think anything was fabricated in my posts. We have an owner and coach making decisions a GM should be making.

... but the coaching staff seems hell bent on on forcing their draft pics down our throats to justify them ...

...A GM will set things straight ... and will not be held hostage by someones agent complaining why a certain player isn't getting treated properly. ...

So you didn't just make that up? Can you provide any proof whatsoever that Jauron is forcing HIS draft pics down our throats? Can you provide any evidence whatsoever that one our our player's agents is complaining about why his guy isn't being treated properly and that he is holding our team hostage?

We do not have the proper chain of command without a GM, can you honestly tell me it doesn't have a trickle down effect on the proper management of this team.

Can you define what the PROPER chain of command should be for the Bills or any NFL team? Can you provide evidence of what the current chain of command is and how it's somehow lead to improper team management?

Again, I understand your dislike of the FO. However, IMO, you're stretching entirely too far the reality of what may be going on behind closed doors at OBD. You're trying to paint the picture that the Bills, as an organization, are a rudderless ship with no direction with the players and their agents dictating roster moves. When none of that can be substantiated.

Yes, you think Peters and his agent dictated to Russ a trade. The reality, however, is that Russ chose to handle Peters differently than you'd like. The Broncos just experienced a similar scenario with Brandon Marshall this year. They chose to keep him. And look at how his production has declined. Russ decided to trade his problem and get guys that want to be here in return. Which is better for Peters, I could care less. But, I know which is better for the Bills.

You think letting FAs leave is a bad thing. But the reality is every team in the league lets FAs leave every year. You can't keep everyone. The problem is you disagree with who they let leave and who they retain. We re-signed McGee, I guess the FO gets no credit for that move. They re-signed Jackson and are using him to great success. I guess they get no credit for that either - rather you choose to focus on 3 years ago when Thomas was starting over him.

I never said the GM will actually tell the HC who to play, he doesn't have the authority, but he does have the capability to say look buddy, you better get it right or its your arss.

My original assumption is Russ Brandon faces undue pressure from Players Agents that can effect his decision making and that undue pressure should not be there, Brandon in turn passes on his concerns to our HC and its not supposed to work this way.

I admit I could be off base here and I don't mean to put a dampener on everyone's optimism.

Personally, I prefer having a GM.

Can you back that assumption up with any evidence whatsoever? Who's placing this pressure on Brandon? How has he passed it on to Jauron? Do you have some sort of inside knowledge claiming that Lynch's agent is telling Brandon he better start Marshawn next week or Lynch will sit out?

Guest dog14787
Considering we saved about $6 Million a year and we got Woods and Nelson for Peters, I would say that argument doesn't fly.

Dockery good??? :censored:

Greer, he was good, but we have Mcgee who is better locked up, we have Mckelvin, Corner and Lankster, So we are more than fine with that.

O.K., lets just keep rebuilding our team forever because we need to save money. Good grief :unsure:

Do you even remember what the top defenses in the NFL from last season made our O-line look like during preseason because I sure haven't forgotten.

Guest dog14787
Can you back that assumption up with any evidence whatsoever? Who's placing this pressure on Brandon? How has he passed it on to Jauron? Do you have some sort of inside knowledge claiming that Lynch's agent is telling Brandon he better start Marshawn next week or Lynch will sit out?

No, not at all, and one of the reasons I was interested in other folks opinions.

Dockery, Peters, Greer for starters and all the good players we skipped over to draft DB's.

I'm not saying we didn't have a good draft, but we were drafting players we should of already had in place.

I agree that there were good players that we lost, however, given the game plan of the new system, I think the line we have now fits the system better. Hence why Walker was cut outright (as opposed to moved back to RT). Peters could still have the agility and speed to play on this line, but Dockery was slow and beefy. The question is whether Peters had the intelligence in the new system (some say he didn't). The new line has a lot of things in common and overwhelming size is not one of them.

As for Greer, he is a big loss, but he was expendable. If there is one position the Bills are deep in, its cornerback. There were 4 quality guys that were capable of starting coming into this year (McGee, McKelvin, Corner and Youboty). Add Florence (who IMO thinks is a waste of a roster spot) and Lankster (who is a late round steal), you have 6 solid corners.

Also, Byrd was the only high pick used on a DB and we needed the depth there. The rest of DB's were borderline UFAs.

Guest dog14787
So you didn't just make that up? Can you provide any proof whatsoever that Jauron is forcing HIS draft pics down our throats? Can you provide any evidence whatsoever that one our our player's agents is complaining about why his guy isn't being treated properly and that he is holding our team hostage?

Can you define what the PROPER chain of command should be for the Bills or any NFL team? Can you provide evidence of what the current chain of command is and how it's somehow lead to improper team management?

Again, I understand your dislike of the FO. However, IMO, you're stretching entirely too far the reality of what may be going on behind closed doors at OBD. You're trying to paint the picture that the Bills, as an organization, are a rudderless ship with no direction with the players and their agents dictating roster moves. When none of that can be substantiated.

Yes, you think Peters and his agent dictated to Russ a trade. The reality, however, is that Russ chose to handle Peters differently than you'd like. The Broncos just experienced a similar scenario with Brandon Marshall this year. They chose to keep him. And look at how his production has declined. Russ decided to trade his problem and get guys that want to be here in return. Which is better for Peters, I could care less. But, I know which is better for the Bills.

You think letting FAs leave is a bad thing. But the reality is every team in the league lets FAs leave every year. You can't keep everyone. The problem is you disagree with who they let leave and who they retain. We re-signed McGee, I guess the FO gets no credit for that move. They re-signed Jackson and are using him to great success. I guess they get no credit for that either - rather you choose to focus on 3 years ago when Thomas was starting over him.

Maybe teams just have a GM as a figure head.

O.K., lets just keep rebuilding our team forever because we need to save money. Good grief :unsure:

Do you even remember what the top defenses in the NFL made our O-line look like during preseason because I sure haven't forgotten.

Granted the Oline is young and still has a lot to prove. But, bringing up preseason games to support your argument? You're better than that.

No, not at all, and one of the reasons I was interested in other folks opinions.

And you're getting those opinions. My opinion being that you're making wild assumptions based on nothing factual just to assert your theory that our FO and coaching staff sucks. And they may very well blow... but not for the reasons you're stating.

Maybe teams just have a GM as a figure head.

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm suggesting that Brandon is our GM. His business card may not say General Manager on it, but he's performing all the functions and responsibilities of a GM. And there's nothing to suggest that agents are putting undue pressure on him or Jauron to play certain players over others.

Got the feeling that this kid is gonna play with a chip on his shoulder.

He should have made the team outright...Love to see him have a big game this week.

Why should he have a chip on his shoulder? I would think he is thrilled and excited to get the chance to play Sunday. He has no reason to be bitter.

Guest dog14787

This is a thread about Jonathan Stupar who was clearly our best TE through the preseason in my opinion.

Guest dog14787
Why should he have a chip on his shoulder? I would think he is thrilled and excited to get the chance to play Sunday. He has no reason to be bitter.

Jonathan Stupar has had to fight hard for everything he's got just like Fred Jackson. I believe they both play and will continue playing with a chip on their shoulders and its a big part of what motivates them.

This is a thread about Jonathan Stupar who was clearly our best TE through the preseason in my opinion.

Precisely. So why did you veer off on a tangent in the 5th post about Lynch, Jackson, the team not having a GM and Jauron getting held hostage by palyer's agents?

You suggested that you were out of line, I simply agreed (albeit sarcastically). But then you chose to argue it further.

I'm really anxious to see what Stupar can do this week. I hope/expect he'll have Fine riding the bench before long.

Guest dog14787
Precisely. So why did you veer off on a tangent in the 5th post about Lynch, Jackson, the team not having a GM and Jauron getting held hostage by palyer's agents?

You suggested that you were out of line, I simply agreed (albeit sarcastically). But then you chose to argue it further.

I'm really anxious to see what Stupar can do this week. I hope/expect he'll have Fine riding the bench before long.

I was just pointing out the answer to the question you asked (bold), but for the sake of argument, I have no argument with you.

Guest dog14787
What does a GM do?

It probably varies from team to team owner to owner but the general manager is a team executive responsible for acquiring the rights to player personnel, negotiating their contracts, and reassigning or dismissing players no longer desired on the team. The general manager may also have responsibility for hiring the head coach of the team. General managers are usually responsible for the selection of players in player drafts and work hand in hand with the coaching staff and scouts to build a strong team.

Dockery good??? :unsure:

Greer, he was good, but we have Mcgee who is better locked up, we have Mckelvin, Corner and Lankster, So we are more than fine with that.

Yeah if Buffalo signs Greer to a big contract they likely do not keep McGee. I hated to see Greer go but it happens, Corner could come on and Youboty was playing a good game until he was hurt last year. Unfortunately he seems to have slipped this year.

Is McCargo injury prone or what? This is likely to be his last year in Buffalo.

It probably varies from team to team owner to owner but the general manager is a team executive responsible for acquiring the rights to player personnel, negotiating their contracts, and reassigning or dismissing players no longer desired on the team. The general manager may also have responsibility for hiring the head coach of the team. General managers are usually responsible for the selection of players in player drafts and work hand in hand with the coaching staff and scouts to build a strong team.

Sounds like Russ Brandon to me!!!!....Well ultimately I think the hiring and firing of coaches is Ralphie but other than that it sounds like what Brandon does. I guess the point is ... what's in a name?

Do you even remember what the top defenses in the NFL from last season made our O-line look like during preseason because I sure haven't forgotten.

sooo, in other words, you got nothin