Protect the insurance companies PSA

justnzane

Right, but we can all agree (well most anyway) that there does need to be a change. It may not be at the insurance company level, it may not be at other levels.

Surely a stipulation could be attached to the policy changing things so that you only receive certain maximum benefits after a certain period of time. No?

no. You get insurance one day and the next day you get hit by a truck and need a million dollars in medical care you should get the million in medical care.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. You get insurance one day and the next day you get hit by a truck and need a million dollars in medical care you should get the million in medical care.

as notoriously liberal as i am on this board, i can't even agreed to that. i mean after all if something is costing a million bucks to keep you alive, you should have something in your living will to say "I can't put this undue stress on my family. pull the plug"

as notoriously liberal as i am on this board, i can't even agreed to that. i mean after all if something is costing a million bucks to keep you alive, you should have something in your living will to say "I can't put this undue stress on my family. pull the plug"

you can wrack up a million dollar hospital bill in 2 months--without superextraordinary measures being taken. After that 2 months you can emerge as a functioning healthy person.You can bust a lot of bones and have some internal injuries requiring a few surgeries and mucho hospital time.-Million bucks---snap of a finger.

-I don't think that is a case where pulling the plug is remotely an issue.

-A friend of mine--his kid took a header off of a skateboard.Massive concussion.# months in the hospital--touch and go whther he was gonna live for about 2 weeks because of swelling in the brain.--He is now out of the hospital and is functioning at 90% mentally and 70%physically.-Again not an issue. .----But even if he was significantly disabled from the injury he needs to be taken care of.And the insurance company needs to fulfill their obligation.

Absolutely we need change. And lots of it is with the way the insurance companies do business. But to completely overhaul the health care system is not needed.

I agree. I think when we look at the WHO rankings (admittedly older, but no indication our standing has gotten better) we rank first in the cost of medical care, life spans are not ranked all that high and quality of health care for all is not ranked high. Certainly the existing system isn't working efficiently. We got a lot of work to do, and the shrill rhetoric on the various sides of the issue isn't helping. And this from a master of shrill rhetoric! <_<

What about life insurance? What if that truck killed you and you had a million dollar life policy and you'd only put in one month's premium?

I have a question for the health insurance professionals. How much would a bare bones basic insurance package cost for someone. Let's go ahead and assume a pool of say 10 million customers and factor in your usual profit (probably tack on 10% more for waste, but I digress).

Depends on which state you are in. Depends on your age, depends on your health, weight, smoking etc.

There are many variables that factor into the cost of health insurance.

I believe Joe could better answer you though.

Depends on which state you are in. Depends on your age, depends on your health, weight, smoking etc.

There are many variables that factor into the cost of health insurance.

I believe Joe could better answer you though.

Well I figured they could take an average for the medical factors, but I forgot how it would vary from state to state.

What about life insurance? What if that truck killed you and you had a million dollar life policy and you'd only put in one month's premium?

i believe that the company shouldn't have to pay out $1 million in such cases, but a lower amount would be sufficient as you should have had life insurance before that point.

are you really expecting him to think things through before he types?

!@#$ you. Just because I think differently, doesn't mean i don't think things through.

i believe that the company shouldn't have to pay out $1 million in such cases, but a lower amount would be sufficient as you should have had life insurance before that point.

!@#$ you. Just because I think differently, doesn't mean i don't think things through.

It doesn't appear so. You seem to make many statements without any logical basis to it.

How is the "Public Option" going to reduce costs of health insurance for everyone, considering we are going to add coverage for 30 million more people and that the profit margins are only at 3.3% ?

Yes, they should have life insurance. Kinda like how they should have their own homeowners insurance and flood insurance and fire insurance and car insurance and health insurance.

Yes, they should have life insurance. Kinda like how they should have their own homeowners insurance and flood insurance and fire insurance and car insurance and health insurance.

yes i agree with this. now, the customers that have paying customers for a longer time should be entitled to more than those that just joined on. Kinda like someone who has live in miami his whole life, and signs for flood/ hurricane insurance the day before it hits the city, should not get full benefits, imo.

That said, I do support a single payer system, but due to conservative nature of the nation, that just isn't going to happen. So what i think is that the costs should be reduced to the patient/insuree, the health provider, and the insurance. This is where the reform should be heading towards. This means, cutting down on the frivolous lawsuits and protecting doctors so they can actually practice medicine like the europeans do. Furthermore, the rant i have been making about not paying full benefits to new customers would reduce the costs to the insurers. Thus this would all lead to comsumer savings.

I do believe in competition across state lines. I do believe that a government "option" is not the root of all evil, but it may not be necessary if reforms are made and companies are able to compete across state lines. However, without a government option it may be tough to get the millions of uninsured people to get health insurance.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that you should have purchased insurance more that a month before that truck hit you?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that you should have purchased insurance more that a month before that truck hit you?

yes. I am saying that. Frankly, I am losing my life insurance coverage that I have been paying into for the last year. When I get my next job (after I finish my masters), I would not expect my family to get $1million, if I die the month after I pay in my nominal monthly payment. IT just seems wrong to put in a very small amount and get such a large amount back.

What I believe is that you should be given a progressive max amount of benefits based on how much you have paid into the policy for the first 10 years, and from there on out you should be able to receive the max benefits, imo.

yes. I am saying that. Frankly, I am losing my life insurance coverage that I have been paying into for the last year. When I get my next job (after I finish my masters), I would not expect my family to get $1million, if I die the month after I pay in my nominal monthly payment. IT just seems wrong to put in a very small amount and get such a large amount back.

What I believe is that you should be given a progressive max amount of benefits based on how much you have paid into the policy for the first 10 years, and from there on out you should be able to receive the max benefits, imo.

Hence my original comment that you have absolutely no idea how insurance works.

Question, why are you losing your insurance?

Hence my original comment that you have absolutely no idea how insurance works.

Question, why are you losing your insurance?

out of a job... heading back to get my masters.

Jim, I get how insurance works. Now, I just disagree under the current format that it is right for someone to be entitled to full policy amount immediately.

out of a job... heading back to get my masters.

Jim, I get how insurance works. Now, I just disagree under the current format that it is right for someone to be entitled to full policy amount immediately.

You obviolsy (because of your opinion) don't know how insurance works. Let's say someone gets a million dollar life policy to replace all their income that would be lost due to premature death. They make $60k per year and their spouse doesn't work. The million dollar policy would replace that $60k of income so the surviving spouse can keep the house, continue to put foood on the table, stay at home with the kids, continue to fund their future obligations, i.e their own retirement, etc, etc. Under you scenario the person dies prematurely the insurance company says "sorry, you're not getting the full million" and now we have not properly protected the surviving spouse. Your idea is very, very flawed.

Obviously you believe in life insurance but why were you paying for it at work and not outside of work?