Protect the insurance companies PSA

justnzane

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/invest/20...2009release.pdf

yeah making $1 billion in profit is so low :rolleyes:

You're a math teacher...What's their profit margin?

Now look up the profit margin of other industries.

I love how some folks b*tch and complain about a private company making a billion dollars while not raising an eybrow to the feds pissing away $700B on stimulus or $800B on Obamacare (and that's the low estimate, might go above $1T - yes that's a T)

I love how some folks b*tch and complain about a private company making a billion dollars while not raising an eybrow to the feds pissing away $700B on stimulus or $800B on Obamacare (and that's the low estimate, might go above $1T - yes that's a T)

So how many jobs do you get where you can make a ton of money as an executive, provide increased costs, less service and barely turn a profit? Sounds like a pretty good gig, with really low expectations.

That one company is still making a Billion Dollars a quarter in profit. 6% profit to amount to 1 billion means that UHC is not hurting while they deny me chiropractic treatments, because i went over the limit for the year. While it is a preventative treatment that would save them $ in covering pain meds in the long run, they deemed it prudent to say !@#$ you to me because they have their heads collectively up their asses. Even if the chiropractic treatments were to cost them a small amount of money, I am sure that I would not be taking a dent out of their $4billion a year/ profits.

Yes, I agree that the gov't wastes money better than anyone else. But for christ sake, we are the richest country in the world and 15% of our citizens can't afford health care, while the ones that do have it are denied necessary treatments. There is something way wrong about this.

Insurance company profit margin is so low, that they HAVE to do these things in order to stay in business. These companies wouldn't drop their patients if the cost of care was lower.

Should anything in the medical/health profession be "for profit?" Seems to run contradictory to the Hippocratic Oath. I think the insurance industry should also abide by it.

Modern Hippocratic Oath

...I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism...

...I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick...

Should anything in the medical/health profession be "for profit?" Seems to run contradictory to the Hippocratic Oath. I think the insurance industry should also abide by it.

Modern Hippocratic Oath

...I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism...

...I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick...

So if the medical industry was run as non-profit we'd still be using leaches and blood letting. Let me ask you a question. How long would you last in your profession if you did it out of the kindness of your heart?

So if the medical industry was run as non-profit we'd still be using leaches and blood letting. Let me ask you a question. How long would you last in your profession if you did it out of the kindness of your heart?

No, not quite. I am mainly talking about the insurance companies running non-profit...

What do they do with their profits? Make insurance more accessible? With profits, where is the actual "brick and mortar" that helps the customers and their business. IMO, they were created to be a middle-man for the doctors and escape the ethical issues in medicine.

You know what I do... It is non-profit. My wife is also a librarian in the public sector... They seem to be doing great with technology... Even multi-million dollar renovations without rasing one cent in taxes.

I am not saying people have to do it for free.

IMO, what drives up the prices is partly blamed on that very oath... It is the education:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art–if they desire to learn it–without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken the oath according to medical law, but to no one else.

They then pass the cost on to the patient. It is kindness of heart that will pass the trade on... Yet, there is no kindness of the heart when it comes to driving people to financial ruin because of their unlucky chance of illness.

Oh boy...another one caught in the "LOOK AT THE BIG NUMBERS!!!" headlights.

7% margins, yeah that's crazytalk. :lol:

Again... What do they do with that 7%? Make health insurance more affordable for everyone?

I don't care if it is on penny over.

Explain to me why they have to run for profit? Health insurance that is.

I've had my health insurance licenses for ten years and have sold small group and individual insurance in almost every state. I work with people who have lost their jobs and need to find individual coverage or sign up for COBRA. Where did you do all your research?

Blaming the evil insurance company CEOs for making too much profit (that's their job by the way) is not going to solve anything. Until people demand the best service at the lowest costs from their health care providers, and in turn their insurance companies, the insurance companies will simply charge whatever is necessary to cover those inflated costs. It's obviously not the only change necessary, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to churn up anger at companies that make too much money. Here's a newsflash, they are not going to stop maximizing profits and when they cannot make a profit they will stop providing the service. (probably what the government is shooting for anyway)

I guess the politicians figure that it worked with the oil companies, why not try it again.

Owned.

As a fellow health insurance licensed professional, I'd like to say thanks for helping to enlighten the ignorant.