new power rankings

bbillsfan87

Because people still think last year is relevant.

To an extent it is... We have one win against a bad opponent and one loss against a good opponent. Had a chance to beat a good opponent, but (this is key) did not win! Same old bills.

I used to get pissed about the bills not getting any credit in the national media, but I have realized one thing: We haven't gotten any respect in recent years because we haven't deserved much. We beat bad teams and lose to good teams consistently and furthermore, when we have an opportunity to win a big game on MNF, or have an important game at the end of the season, that's characteristically when we come up short. Factor in that the bills have been near the top of the league in schedule difficulty the past few years, and that formula doesn't bode well for us. If the bills want respect, they have to earn it with wins. Period.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To an extent it is... We have one win against a bad opponent and one loss against a good opponent. Had a chance to beat a good opponent, but (this is key) did not win! Same old bills.

I used to get pissed about the bills not getting any credit in the national media, but I have realized one thing: We haven't gotten any respect in recent years because we haven't deserved much. We beat bad teams and lose to good teams consistently and furthermore, when we have an opportunity to win a big game on MNF, or have an important game at the end of the season, that's characteristically when we come up short. Factor in that the bills have been near the top of the league in schedule difficulty the past few years, and that formula doesn't bode well for us. If the bills want respect, they have to earn it with wins. Period.

I never said they were wrong to still think of last year as relevant, nor am I complaining about where the Bills are ranked in these power polls. In the end, it's meaningless. If they want respect, go beat a high-quality team like New Orleans.

I HATE to think about what ifs regarding the season opener but it would be a different story if we beat New England, who so far looks VERY beatable, and beat a team Sunday that wasn't expected to be one of the worst teams in the league this year.

Power rankings don't change over night. Keep winning and they will take care of themselves!

the only thing i care about is that we're not being given credit where credit's due....thats all

What credit is due to us?

We lost to the Pats - and I dont want to hear about the fumble...if Leodis downs the ball there is still a lot of time on the clock and the Pats have 4 timeouts, the game was far from over. Not to mention, we still had time to get in position to win with a FG and enough time to do so and we managed one completion.

We then beat one of the 5 least talented teams in football - and didnt exactly do so decisively as we let them hang around most of the second half.

If you remember last year, they bumped us to #5 after beating the 4 worst teams in football (and barely winning 3 of those) and kept us in the top 10 after falling to 6-2 even though all 6 wins were against sub .500 teams and the 2 losses were to teams with winning records. So how did we respond? We went 1-7 and missed the playoffs.

So since we havent beat a winning team since 2007, what respect do you think we deserve? And who really cares about the rankings anyway...like I said from #5 last year to a 1-7 finish...the rankings did nothing for us then either...

Not saying the Bills are in the top 10 or anything but 21? come on I know its the Bucs but a win is a win and they closed out the game and won comfortably. They also looked like a better than 21 team against the Pats*. These arbitrary rankings don't make any sense I mean Raven's jump form 10 to 1 because they scored a bunch of points BUT their D gave up a bunch of points as well shouldn't that count against them?

I from time to time take a look at these power rankings and they usually piss me off. The Fins should not be ahead of the Bills while they are 0-2 and while they looked OK against Indy they played like garbage against the Falcons.

Here is my top ten (With a bunch of little quips to boot)

1- Giants - The team much like last years Steelers knows how to win games and come up with plays.

2- Colts - Peyton Manning may be the best QB but the defense needs Bob Sanders back.

3- Ravens- Offense comes out but the D gives cause for concern.

4- Vikings- While Favre may break down later this team is so far so good.

5- Falcons- Solid showings in weeks 1 and 2 but they need to keep it going.

6- Steelers- In an odd twist the team that always finds a way to win a game finds a way to loose one.

7- Jets - Jets D looks nasty but once Sanchez has to win a game we will see what he is truly worth.

8- Saints- Best offense in the NFL yet their D needs to be better

9- Chargers - Despite the loss they put up big points against a usually stingy

10- 49ers- 2 and 0 although against weak competition but any good team has to beat bad opponents.

I would have the Bills at 19 or 18. Now I some jackass on an internet message board off the top of my head came up with a better power ranking. Now the top ten the guy had (Outside of Ravens number 1) wasn't terrible but his refusal to move up Buffalo even one or two spots and keep Miami where they are was stupid. Another issue was you only drop Green Bay down 1 spot after a bad loss to a at this point bad Bengals team? Also how do the Cards drop 1 spot after a blowout victory (At least keep them at the same spot but don't drop them).

I know its for fun but they get very sloppy with their logic and sometimes they take forever to drop a team and forever to give a team its due. They also don't drop teams after they look bad in wins either (Pats*) its suppose to be subjective off of what you see its not the BCS.

What credit is due to us?

We lost to the Pats - and I dont want to hear about the fumble...if Leodis downs the ball there is still a lot of time on the clock and the Pats have 4 timeouts, the game was far from over. Not to mention, we still had time to get in position to win with a FG and enough time to do so and we managed one completion.

We then beat one of the 5 least talented teams in football - and didnt exactly do so decisively as we let them hang around most of the second half.

If you remember last year, they bumped us to #5 after beating the 4 worst teams in football (and barely winning 3 of those) and kept us in the top 10 after falling to 6-2 even though all 6 wins were against sub .500 teams and the 2 losses were to teams with winning records. So how did we respond? We went 1-7 and missed the playoffs.

So since we havent beat a winning team since 2007, what respect do you think we deserve? And who really cares about the rankings anyway...like I said from #5 last year to a 1-7 finish...the rankings did nothing for us then either...

I don't think its that we are that good to be ranked anywhere near the top 10 but 21 is a little low especially when an 0-2 Miami team that has played poorly is ahead of us. Or a Denver team that has scrapped by 2 bad teams is ahead of us. To me its just lazy to not take into account a comfortable win and a game that we easily could have won. Sure the Bucs are bad and we did loose to the Pats* thats why we shouldn't be ranked higher than 18 but 21 is just a little too low and considering after a win we didn't even move up 1 spot is just not good logic.

Here is my top ten (With a bunch of little quips to boot)

1- Giants - The team much like last years Steelers knows how to win games and come up with plays.

2- Colts - Peyton Manning may be the best QB but the defense needs Bob Sanders back.

3- Ravens- Offense comes out but the D gives cause for concern.

4- Vikings- While Favre may break down later this team is so far so good.

5- Falcons- Solid showings in weeks 1 and 2 but they need to keep it going.

6- Steelers- In an odd twist the team that always finds a way to win a game finds a way to loose one.

7- Jets - Jets D looks nasty but once Sanchez has to win a game we will see what he is truly worth.

8- Saints- Best offense in the NFL yet their D needs to be better

9- Chargers - Despite the loss they put up big points against a usually stingy

10- 49ers- 2 and 0 although against weak competition but any good team has to beat bad opponents.

Ok, for fun, I will play devils advocate here...

How do you have the Saints at #8 and only 2 spots higher than the 49ers? I mean the 49ers would lose by 40 agianst them...The 49ers are the 2009 version of the 2008 Bills...quick start against bad opposition.

1. Saints

2. Giants

3. Ravens

4. Colts

5. Vikes

6. Falcons

7. Steelers

8. Jets

9. Chargers

10. Eagles

Pats are just outside the top 10 in my book but I expect a big rebound game from them week 3 and I am sure they will make a case to be top 10...just too much offensive talent and Brady is still getting his timing back.

I don't think its that we are that good to be ranked anywhere near the top 10 but 21 is a little low especially when an 0-2 Miami team that has played poorly is ahead of us. Or a Denver team that has scrapped by 2 bad teams is ahead of us. To me its just lazy to not take into account a comfortable win and a game that we easily could have won. Sure the Bucs are bad and we did loose to the Pats* thats why we shouldn't be ranked higher than 18 but 21 is just a little too low and considering after a win we didn't even move up 1 spot is just not good logic.

I get where you are coming from, and I do think we should be ahead of Miami by a spot or two...but people are not crying for respect beacause we are 21 instead of 19...I mean if we were at 19 this thread still happens I am sure.

Until we beat someone with a winning record we will not have proven anything yet is my only point. If we beat the Saints this week, we will be ranked top 15 easily and will deserve it.

I HATE to think about what ifs regarding the season opener but it would be a different story if we beat New England, who so far looks VERY beatable, and beat a team Sunday that wasn't expected to be one of the worst teams in the league this year.

Power rankings don't change over night. Keep winning and they will take care of themselves!

Thing is....the power rankings should (in theory) reflect that the Bills could be around the same number the Patriots* are at - simply because they went toe to toe with them in Foxboro, the Patriots* then lost to a better team, and the Bills beat a weaker team. It really should be all about how well you play against your opponents.

Because NE* looks very beatable, they should be lower. The Bills should probably not be behind Miami, but Miami played Indy very well last night. I don't know how well they looked in Week 1, but if they stood with Atlanta for a while and made things look difficult for them, then I can see it.

It's all a matter of perspective, which is why these things are released....generates an awful lot of discussion.

You see ESPN is not going to admit they there are completely and utterly wrong about the Bills. To do so would be evidence of their flagrant bias, and their non-existent journalistic integrity would become obvious, which would be detrimental to their company. Yes the power rankings piss me off every week. All I can say is that sooner or later, if the Bills keep winning ball games, they will have to begrudgingly move us up the rankings. But don't expect any props for beating the Bucs, or for *almost* dominating the Patriots. ESPN hates the Bills, even more now because we have TO. We just have to wait for the Bills to shut those fools up.

These Rankings do not matter ... especially at this point in the season. I think we will not know how good or bad the Bills really are until the bye week. I like most on this board was flyying high at 5-1 last year. I refuse to get this hyped up again until the Bills clinch a playoff spot and finish the season strong. Early season results matter little. Look at the Cards last year - they finished the season strong and were close to a SB win. Teams that get hot at the end of the year, not the start of the season, are the ones that matter.

Bills will not get it until and unless they beat the elite teams of the league. I very much agree with your earlier comment about the fins - how in the world can they be 0-2 and ahead of the Bills?

No, it is a Power Rankings, not a standings. To view the standings with us above Miami click the link at the top that says "Standings".

I thought it was funny that we stayed where we were, but beating a bad team at home vs, almost upsetting the #1 team on the road...I'm not sure that adds up to a huge move in terms of what analysts expect from the Bills. A win this week would certainly change things though...

You see ESPN is not going to admit they there are completely and utterly wrong about the Bills. To do so would be evidence of their flagrant bias, and their non-existent journalistic integrity would become obvious, which would be detrimental to their company. Yes the power rankings piss me off every week. All I can say is that sooner or later, if the Bills keep winning ball games, they will have to begrudgingly move us up the rankings. But don't expect any props for beating the Bucs, or for *almost* dominating the Patriots. ESPN hates the Bills, even more now because we have TO. We just have to wait for the Bills to shut those fools up.

Is that why ESPN had them ranked #5 last year after beating 4 bad teams and in the top 10 while at 6-2 even though all 6 wins were to sub .500 teams and the 2 losses were to the only 2 teams with a winning record we faced?

But yeah, you are right, ESPN hates us...geezus, where do you come up with so much gibberish?

You do realize we havent beaten a team with a winning record since 2007?