Trent Edwards' salary = Bargain for Buffalo

checkdownthis

As Trent shows improvement this season (and his individual performance so far has been very good), I would expect him to re-sign long-term either sometime during this season or in the off-season. Getting a new contract worked out is in both parties' interests. TE has already had a concussion scare, so there's some motivation there to get some security rather than the possibility (knock on Wood) of a bad injury making him a 3-year starting QB who's made ~ $1M total. Bills have the upper hand in this no matter how you look at it.

It would be smart business for both sides to get this done.

As Trent shows improvement this season (and his individual performance so far has been very good), I would expect him to re-sign long-term either sometime during this season or in the off-season. Getting a new contract worked out is in both parties' interests. TE has already had a concussion scare, so there's some motivation there to get some security rather than the possibility (knock on Wood) of a bad injury making him a 3-year starting QB who's made ~ $1M total. Bills have the upper hand in this no matter how you look at it.

It would be smart business for both sides to get this done.

I think they will definitely wait until the offseason before doing anything with Trent. That way if they end up making a move for a new coaching staff and/or GM, the new guys won't be stuck with a QB they don't want.

heh. i remember last year, during the 4-0 streak, people were clamoring for him to sign a contract in the peyton manning range.

Whenever they do an extension, I don't expect them to break the bank. I would expect something averaging $5-6 for 2-3 years. Then he hits the big payday if he continues to progress.

I dont' extend him. Until he can be a QB worth a damn for two seasons, I don't extend him. Last thing we need is him not get much better than he is now but be stuck with him and a large amount of guaranteed money like Carolina is with Delhomme

I agree. And if TO leaves after the season, I want to see what Trent/the offense looks like before committing huge dollars. He's a RFA anyway after the season, meaning the Bills can tender him at the 1st and 3rd level for about $2.8M.

I agree. And if TO leaves after the season, I want to see what Trent/the offense looks like before committing huge dollars. He's a RFA anyway after the season, meaning the Bills can tender him at the 1st and 3rd level for about $2.8M.

below is a link 2008 NFL Quarterback salary data

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...der=Salary+desc

obviously... some guys have moved up or down since. you can click on the column headers to sort. I sorted by Total Salary.

Big Ben #1 at $27 mil

JP Losman #38 at $3.3 mil

Trent #77 at $624,000

I think they will definitely wait until the offseason before doing anything with Trent. That way if they end up making a move for a new coaching staff and/or GM, the new guys won't be stuck with a QB they don't want.
heh. i remember last year, during the 4-0 streak, people were clamoring for him to sign a contract in the peyton manning range.

It won't get done this season. I would expect it to get done in the next off season if Trent has a successful campaign. Anything before then would be premature.

Last year the Bills were rumored to have extended a contract early in the season (without admitting to it) and it seemed to cast a shadow over the team the rest of the way. It was probably Russ Brandon's darkest moment(s). Hopefully they don't fumble it this time.

i've seen a report that Trent Edwards' salary is between $460 to $624K for 2009

and then one more year in 2010 for roughly $100K more than 2009

2011 he's a free agent.

Odds are if Trent has a good year this year they enter next season talking about an extension. Not saying if Trent throws for over 3500 yards and 24 TD's that he will be given a huge extension right away but at some point during the 2010 season (Especially if he gets off to a good start) they will break the bank for him.

You don't let even slightly above average QB's walk in the NFL you just don't I doubt they let his deal expire if he puts up good numbers this year and plays well going into next season.

....Bills have the upper hand in this no matter how you look at it....

:thumbsup: You have to be joking right?? If Edwards finishes in the top 10 rated QB's after 16 games, do you really think his agent won't demand a huge renegotiation, regardless of whether there is another year left on Edwards' rookie contract or not? Did you learn nothing from the Peters fiasco?? The Buffalo Bills - nor any other NFL team for that matter - has "the upper hand" in any players contracts today. Plus Edwards hasn't even signed an upgraded contract like Peters did before he was voted into the Pro Bowl and decided it was his time to break the bank. Please believe me, TE may have more class and dare I say, even loyalty towards the Bills' organization then JP ever had regarding his contract. However, if he manages to stay healthy this season (huge if), and he continues to play this well, all season - the Bills only smart move will be to offer him a big long contract that other teams would offer him based on how many horrible QB's start today.

Please don't waste your time thinking the Bills have any "upper hands" in negotiations with Edwards. Just look at how much money the Eagles paid a young Left Tackle after trading the first round pick that ended up being Eric Wood to Buffalo! No, TE and his agent will have all the hands, upper and lower, when this season ends if he continues to play this well all year!!

:thumbsup: You have to be joking right?? If Edwards finishes in the top 10 rated QB's after 16 games, do you really think his agent won't demand a huge renegotiation, regardless of whether there is another year left on Edwards' rookie contract or not? Did you learn nothing from the Peters fiasco?? The Buffalo Bills - nor any other NFL team for that matter - has "the upper hand" in any players contracts today. Plus Edwards hasn't even signed an upgraded contract like Peters did before he was voted into the Pro Bowl and decided it was his time to break the bank. Please believe me, TE may have more class and dare I say, even loyalty towards the Bills' organization then JP ever had regarding his contract. However, if he manages to stay healthy this season (huge if), and he continues to play this well, all season - the Bills only smart move will be to offer him a big long contract that other teams would offer him based on how many horrible QB's start today.

Please don't waste your time thinking the Bills have any "upper hands" in negotiations with Edwards. Just look at how much money the Eagles paid a young Left Tackle after trading the first round pick that ended up being Eric Wood to Buffalo! No, TE and his agent will have all the hands, upper and lower, when this season ends if he continues to play this well all year!!

the bills would have the upper hand. if trent wants a new deal before his current contract is up, he has no options but to sit out if he does not like the offer or even gets an offer. further more, after his deal ends and he is a rfa if the bills give him a qualifying offer and he decided to go somewhere else, buffalo make out with multiple draft picks.

jason peters is a bad example to use as it comes down to the team became sour on his attitude, play, and/or potential and the guy was making a money grab right after signing a contract.

Three false start penalties for Jason Peters against the saints. he must be thinking about his NEXT contract. or maybe the pro-bowler is still rusty from missing last years camp and preseason.

Although I highly doubt it will get that contentious I am also of the mindset that if he finishes among the top 10 QBs, including 3500 yards and 24 tds, it is very unlikely he will even go into next season without an extension, maybe even spurred on by the Bills.

BTW, that doesn't mean he gets a 6 year, 60 million dollar deal. personally, I'm thinking it will be a 5 year, 30 million dollar deal, with incentives.

Again, just a guess.