religion

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok now take an a priori belief like an idea? why do we think ideas are real even though there is nothing empirical about them, its not tangible...?

Because you can turn them into something real if you're really good at it. I had an idea about a fish restaurant where you can reach into the tank and grab your dinner. It never really got out of prototype but it was real. The idea itself is not real but you can turn it into something real.

what about an idea that u cant be put in motion like creating another earth....

There are lots of ideas that seemingly can't be put into motion but actually can. You and I are not smart enough to create another Earth. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

Think of it this way.....How many Canadians can tie their shoes before they are 24 years old? If you lived in Canada you would believe that doing this at such an early age is simply an idea that cannot be put in motion. There are other, smarter people that can do this.

That dude needs a new schtick. All this calmly spoken mumbo jumbo in an effort to get laid and all he gets in his audience are a bunch of old men that look like Dr. Seuss.

I have as much or more repsect for old people than anyone, but let's face it they are suckers for giveaways. I'd bet anything this loser offered a free buffet table with crackers and cheese at his seminar.

ok now take an a priori belief like an idea? why do we think ideas are real even though there is nothing empirical about them, its not tangible...?

What we think is real by whatever form of reasoning and what can be proven are two different things. Even science cannot prove anything. I think a lot of things are real and for my daily functioning it is necessary to act as if. That doesn't mean I can prove anything.

Once again, this whole reality deal could be a fantasy or some other form of conscious, subconscious hallucination. I don't have any indication that it is, but one never knows and I cannot prove anything different. For my own sanity and practicality I have to act as this life deal is real. Yet I still can't prove any of it.... because of the limitations of science or any other form of reasoning to describe, understand or prove the connection between my senses, my brain and my consciousness or sole is at this moment is impossible your assertion that atheism is a better form of belief than any other is inane and nonsensical. I only state that I have a belief in God. Furthermore, I have not described my belief and your attempts to describe or ascribe details to my belief is insulting. So go away and learn grammar, spelling and logic before you post again. :lol:

The meaning of life, the universe and everything. Unfortunately the answer (42) doesn't really help.

Quite on-topic, Douglas Adams was a great Skeptic and Athiest...

How many roads must a man walk down?

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

Either way.

Alternately: What percentage of Americans are completely retarded?

Never mind, 42 is far too low.

why do we think some ideas are real, but others are not possible?

Real is the wrong word.

Where your Youtube apostle get it wrong is in the premise...... religious truths ultimately have little to do with causation and everything to do with meaning. Saying the ancients used scripture as scientific text is nonsense...this was mostly a 16th century complication. Really the religious life of the West ( including the Greek East) had very little interest in causation, and were quite comfortable understanding scripture as analogy, metaphor and narrative. Virtues such as humility were emphasized much more than causation.

What does empiricism have to teach me about humility?

Empiricism can teach us a great deal about causation, and knowledge of particulars...but very little about meaning and the properties of "being" ..... such as the moral life, the good life, beauty, love, justice, etc. ....these aren't necessarily religious pursuits in and of themselves....but religion does attempt some answers independent of, and often co-dependent on, competing epistemologies.

......burp......

Really the religious life of the West ( including the Greek East) had very little interest in causation, and were quite comfortable understanding scripture as analogy, metaphor and narrative. Virtues such as humility were emphasized much more than causation.

Too bad this hasn't held up too well over the years.

But we understand so much more about science and how the world works now than in the 2nd.

Collectively as a species perhaps, but nobody lives the collective life of the entire species.

In particular your average guys engineering ancient aqueducts with an abacus and without Arabic numerals are probably no smarter, nor more or less religious than your average engineer today.

People don't know more than the ancients, nor are they smarter.......they just know different things.

Collectively as a species perhaps, but nobody lives the collective life of the entire species.

In particular your average guys engineering ancient aqueducts with an abacus and without Arabic numerals are probably no smarter, nor more or less religious than your average engineer today.

People don't know more than the ancients, nor are they smarter.......they just know different things.

Actually, we probably do tend to know more now...just because information is more widely dissementated and readily available.

Smarter, though? Anyone who thinks that should try flint knapping or making a compound bow from scratch.