Just Got Back From Albany!

PearlHowardman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from my 3 years of living in Buffalo while I attended UB, I've lived in Albany my whole life. I'd have to say thats its about 40% Giants fans, then 20% Pats, 20% Jets, and 20% Bills. Now the Pats and Giants have fluctuated in recent years just because of their teams success. (Right now the Giants 40% and Pats 20% are very vocal populations compared to the down trodden Jets and Bills fans)

Didn't catch them. Do they just broadcast Bills games or more than that re: chat?

Looks like the local sports media was all-Giants.

Signs welcoming you to Albany saying home of the SB Champs Giants.

I didn't sample any sports bars, though!

They play the 97 rock broadcast of the game. As for the Giants, thats because they have training camp at UAlbany, and before they won their most recent super bowl all those signs said "Welcome to Albany Summer home of the 2000 NFC East Division Champion Giants"

Aside from my 3 years of living in Buffalo while I attended UB, I've lived in Albany my whole life. I'd have to say thats its about 40% Giants fans, then 20% Pats, 20% Jets, and 20% Bills. Now the Pats and Giants have fluctuated in recent years just because of their teams success. (Right now the Giants 40% and Pats 20% are very vocal populations compared to the down trodden Jets and Bills fans)

Now that Ice Cold has retired, & the Pats* are headed for the tank, we will welcome you to Bills Nation. Come on, you KNOW you want to cross over.

I live about 30 miles west of Albany but grew up in Buffalo.

This is Yankee and Giants country and folks often jump on the bandwagon for the AFC east team that is doing the best.

There are some loyal Bills fans here, but the T shirts, bumper stickers and hats have become less common in the last 10 years.

In the 90's the Albany station would let fans call in and vote to see which AFC east game they would broadcast. They stopped the voting since they claimed that bills fans were voting repeatedly and keeping the jets off the local airwaves. The pats were a distant third in those days.

Teams that are closer to Albany than the Buffalo Bills (4): New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets, and the New York Giants. Baltimore is close.

Sad that the people of NY can't or will not see that Buffalo is their team. When I lived in Tennessee it was an impressive sight to see people driving from farther away (Memphis) to support the State's team. When the Bill's leave buffalo maybe NYS will wake up to the fact that a srewed up tax policy and old world views leads to decline. Please may this be turned around.

Albany supports you, your paying of taxes.

Side note, sometimes we play Quickdraw at lunch, and joke that the ticket scanner instead of saying "Sorry, not a winner" now says "Gov Patterson thanks you for your donation".

Isn't Syracuse the location where it's FUBARED between Giants, Bills and Jets?

And Steelers, and Pats*, and Dallas. I've think I've seen at least one of every NFL teams jersey here over the years.

I make the trip from Albany (guilderland) to the Ralph 6 times a year, there are a fair amount of Bills fans here in the Capital district. Ya just have to find the right places to go.

Now that I think about it, Albany to Orchard Park and back is a LONG hike. Not so bad for us Bills fans here in Syracuse.

I'm originally from Clifton Park. Theres some Bills fans in Albany.

Sad

Definitely way more Giants/Jets.

Sadder.

The worst thing is, my cousins are middle school age and live in the area. They like the Pats. With the younger generation, the Pats are like the new Cowboys. Lots of younger kids like them because they grew up with them winning. Queer logic, but its true

Saddest! ;)

Had meetings with the boss in Albany yesterday afternoon and this morning. Overnight trip from here in Syracuse.

What I saw:

About 20 cars with NY Giants stickers, license plates, etc.

About 8 cars with Dallas Cowboy stickers, license plate holders, etc.

About 5 cars with NY Jets stickers, license plates, etc.

About 2-3 cars with that team we played this week stickers, license plate holders, etc.

About 15 cars with CT and Massachusetts license plates. Why so many?

What I didn't see:

Anyone wearing any type of Buffalo Bills shirts, etc. No stickers on cars, etc

What I did:

Asked my boss and some coworkers about the Buffalo Bills and they looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about. They weren't exactly aware of the SU Orangemen football team, either

All I can say is that it's good to be back in Syracuse!

GO BILLS!

I don't put bumper stickers on my car, in partr because if I see the Bills in NE or NJ, I don't want my car trashed, plus I don't like putting stuff on my car that it's tough to get off.

Thursday was a work day (although I was off that day on vacation), nobody is going to be walking around with Bills stuff on when we have to work unless it's dress down Friday (when I usually come into work in a Bills shirt).

You work for a lousy boss. If he or she was a good boss, you would have been greeted by someone in full Bills gear, just to make you comfortable.

Had meetings with the boss in Albany yesterday afternoon and this morning. Overnight trip from here in Syracuse.

What I saw:

About 20 cars with NY Giants stickers, license plates, etc.

About 8 cars with Dallas Cowboy stickers, license plate holders, etc.

About 5 cars with NY Jets stickers, license plates, etc.

About 2-3 cars with that team we played this week stickers, license plate holders, etc.

About 15 cars with CT and Massachusetts license plates. Why so many?

What I didn't see:

Anyone wearing any type of Buffalo Bills shirts, etc. No stickers on cars, etc

What I did:

Asked my boss and some coworkers about the Buffalo Bills and they looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about. They weren't exactly aware of the SU Orangemen football team, either

All I can say is that it's good to be back in Syracuse!

GO BILLS!

I lived in Albany for many years.

First, MA is only about a 20 minute drive east, and CT isn't all that much further, but to the southeast. That's why the license plates.

Remember that the Giants have their training camp at SUNY Albany. Albany is about a 3 hour drive from NYC and about a 5 - 6 hour drive from Buffalo. Maybe 3.5 hours from Boston, too. Albany is split, and I'd guess that maybe 10 - 20% of the fans there support the Bills, but more are Jets and especially Giants fans. It's hard to get the Bills games on TV in Albany, you usually get the Jets games instead at 1:00.

Hi. I think you're having a little geography trouble. Let me help put things into perspective a little bit.

It is 290 mi to Albany from Buffalo. It's 290 mi to Morgantown, West Virginia. Would you expect people in West Virginia to support the Buffalo Bills? Of course not.

Actually there are many Bills fans in WV. The connection to Jim Braxton and Darryl Talley still holds.

In WV, the Redskins, Browns and Steelers are the top three teams in popularity.

And this is from back in the day when only CBS and NBC broadcast the games.

This year there has been a rise in Miami's popularity due to Chad Pennington and Pat White

Albany supports you, your paying of taxes.

From reading many responses on other sites, non-sports...Albany identifies itself with the east coast/downstate/Mass. That's why you'll have Giants, Jets and Patriots prominent.

Isn't Syracuse the location where it's FUBARED between Giants, Bills and Jets?

syracuse is bills country my man

I've been in the Albany region since 1985. Bills support around here waxes and wanes with the success of the team. You should have been here during the Super Bowl years...there was weekly voting on whether the local NBC affiliate would show the Bills or the Jets (Bills games usually won). There are lots of us Bills fans still around here.

Side note, sometimes we play Quickdraw at lunch, and joke that the ticket scanner instead of saying "Sorry, not a winner" now says "Gov Patterson thanks you for your donation".

And Steelers, and Pats*, and Dallas. I've think I've seen at least one of every NFL teams jersey here over the years.

Harrisburg and York, PA is a strange area too for NFL fandom. There's sizeable contingents of Steelers, Eagles and Ravens fans.

I'm a lifelong Capital Region resident. Grew up in Clifton Park, went to college in Albany and I have lived in Albany since 1996. I have been a Bills fan since the mid 70s. I am sad to say that the Capital Region is far and away Giants Country, and the idea of the Bills being New York State's only NFL team does not wash here. As "Orchard Park" noted, the Giants sign has to do with the fact that University at Albany has served as the home for their Training Camp since the mid 90s. I would see lots of Bills gear in the early 90s, and early this decade I saw a ton of Pats gear, so I sometimes suspect that the presence of other colors has a lot to do with who is successful at the time. I am lucky in that where I work, NYS Dept. of Transportation, there are a bunch of Western NY transplants on my floor.

There are four registered Bills Backers groups in this area. http://www.buffalobills.com/fans/backers/b...ocator-map.html

There are also a couple of other bars that show Bills games. Some of the Jills made appearances here in the past year.

Also surprised about the Syracuse comment. This area is laden with 'Cuse grads. The NCAA East Regional finals were here the year Syracuse won the tournament. Syracuse had two home games at the then Pepsi Arena.

We are a small, but dedicated bunch out here.