Mc Kelvin = Harmon

evanstoprobowl

That was one of the many games that I immediately thought of. But there are just so many.

It doesn't have the same correlation that the Harmon game does (ie the pronounced goat, virtually costing us the game), but I thought of the game from November 1998 when we lost at Foxboro. Remember the "Just give it to 'em" game? When the Pats first got that B.S. spot/first down and then Henry Jones gets called for pass interference in the endzone on a Hail Mary? In terms of a regular season loss, that one stuck with me more than any other...til this one. And the Dallas game from two years back. In terms of awful non-SB25 and non-Music City historic Bills playoff losses, an very underrated gut-wrencher was the Wild Card loss to Miami in January 1999. Reed getting called for bumping the official after getting the ball to the one-yard line. And remember how that game began? Moulds getting stripped from behind when it looked like he was streaking towards an 80-yard TD.

I digress...

That was one of the many games that I immediately thought of. But there are just so many.

It doesn't have the same correlation that the Harmon game does (ie the pronounced goat, virtually costing us the game), but I thought of the game from November 1998 when we lost at Foxboro. Remember the "Just give it to 'em" game? When the Pats first got that B.S. spot/first down and then Henry Jones gets called for pass interference in the endzone on a Hail Mary? In terms of a regular season loss, that one stuck with me more than any other...til this one. And the Dallas game from two years back. In terms of awful non-SB25 and non-Music City historic Bills playoff losses, an very underrated gut-wrencher was the Wild Card loss to Miami in January 1999. Reed getting called for bumping the official after getting the ball to the one-yard line. And remember how that game began? Moulds getting stripped from behind when it looked like he was streaking towards an 80-yard TD.

I digress...

Or that playoff game against San Diego after the 1980 season when Dan Fouts threw a 50yd td with like 2 minutes left to win... on the same exact play that he had been intercepted on the previous drive... but our inept offense was unable to run out the clock and...

Remember the "Just give it to 'em" game? When the Pats first got that B.S. spot/first down and then Henry Jones gets called for pass interference in the endzone on a Hail Mary?

Ugh. I always think about that game when the Bills lose a close one. I think of it as a forgotten gem in terms of Bills heartbreakers.

When McKelvin fumbled that ball I had a flashback of Ronnie Harmon dropping the game winning pass in that playoff game back in the day. Harmon was traded that off season the Jimmy Kelley's no huddle Bills learned a lot from that game. Did anyone else think back to that game?

Completely different. McKelvin screwed up trying to do too much, and had the ball taken from him by another player. Harmon screwed up trying to do too little, and short-armed a reception all by himself.

To me the McKelvin fumble was most similar to JP Losman's fumble against the Jets last year. Because in each case there was a few things the player could have done to avoid disaster.

JP could have thrown the ball out of bounds or eaten the ball for a sack. The one thing he couldn't do was get stripped of the ball.

Leodis could have downed the ball in the end zone or fallen to the ground at the end of his return to secure the ball. The one thing he couldn't do was get stripped of the ball.

Multiple brain locks on both plays. And game changing turnovers. That's what makes them more similar to each other than any of the other disaster plays in Bills' history.

When McKelvin fumbled that ball I had a flashback of Ronnie Harmon dropping the game winning pass in that playoff game back in the day. Harmon was traded that off season the Jimmy Kelley's no huddle Bills learned a lot from that game. Did anyone else think back to that game?

No...not at all...those were two totally different plays...

Please give it a break, he fumbled it's a game sh*& happens. The Bills are bad okay it sucks but at least Harmon's drop was in a playoff game. Leodis will be a very good palyer for years to come not his first or last mistake.

Can't say I had a flashback. But I swear to god, as NE was kicking off, I saw the time left, thought about how well the Jackson was moving the ball, and I thought ,"How are they going to lose this??" About 5 seconds later I said, "Ohhhhhhhh... okay."

Can't say I had a flashback. But I swear to god, as NE was kicking off, I saw the time left, thought about how well the Jackson was moving the ball, and I thought ,"How are they going to lose this??" About 5 seconds later I said, "Ohhhhhhhh... okay."

Hopefully they come out against the Buc like the Bills did the next year after that drop by harmon

No. Harmon was traded because he immediately and loudly threw Kelly under the bus even though it was clearly Harmon's fault.

It reminded me of the Dallas game last year.

Not even close.

Nope.

I just watched the NFL Channel RePlay of the game, and got to hear that !@#$ing moron's statements after the game. In the jumbled mess of what should have been English but didn't even come close, he stated, "That's just me, you know? If I (whatever the !@#$ he said) a hundred times, I'd do the same thing (i.e. take the ball out and try to break one for a TD)."

I've heard all I need to hear from that troglodyte.

And then there's our illustrious Head Coach, Dick Jauron, saying, "I had absolutely no problem with him taking it out. He's a playmaker, he was trying to make a play, he was trying to win the game, I've seen him do it, he's done it before...."

These two combined have the IQ of the dirty ashtray I'm staring at right now. They BOTH deserve to be cut from the team.

Harmon dropped a ball. This guy had CONTROL of the ball, and likely the GAME, and he tried to run through eleven Patriots when all he had to do was go down and give the ball to his Offense.

No comparison whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure Ronnie Harmon had a better grasp of the English language than a Kindergartner, too.

Maybe these Bills will learn the lesson that those Bills learned. After that game they knew how to play to win. They put teams away and kept their foot on the opponents neck. They pulled games out if given a chance at the end (like the Pats* did). Remember the game where Nate Odomes mugged a Denver receiver and took the ball to the house to win a game. I remember a game against the Chargers that the Bills had no business winning but Jim Kelley found a way at the last minute. The Miami game that Jim ran in for a score at the last second to win. The 49's game with no punts that the Bills refused to lose. This team has enough talent maybe this stupid loss will spark that kind of play. I agree that Harmon was different and his comments after the game were the reason that he was traded. McKelvin has a whole season to help fans forget this mistake. I am willing to give him a chance but none of us will ever forget this play. How many of us remember what a great kicker Scoot Norwood was?

Yes I did. Mostly because in both cases a single play that could have been the turning point, got a player labeled as "a goat".

The issue for me is not whether McKelvin came out of the end zone, or even that he ran it up the gut. It's that when things got dicey, he wasn't smart enough to play it safe. He should have known that Pats were in desparation mode and were going to make their priority getting the ball, rather than putting him to the ground. They were more than glad to let him grind out those extra 4 yards, giving them more time to swat at the rock.

BTW - McKelvin needs to review the sack that Trent took - the one where he drew the 15 yard pile-drive roughing the QB personal foul penalty.

Notice how Trent was savvy enough to concede the imminent tackle, and immediately changed his priority from advancing the ball to protecting the ball. He quickly assessed the risk, and wisely clung to the ball for dear life, knowing that (as John Lennon once stated) "possession is nine-tenths of the problem".

Unfortunately, McKelvin didn't use the same judgement. He should have realized that retaining possession was THE main priority - far more important than gaining a few extra yards. When he was first hit at the 26 yard line, and quickly surrounded by red jerseys, that would have been the time to hit the turf.

I don't know if Jauron's statement, commending the decision to "try and ice the game", is really how he felt. I gotta think he wanted McKelvin to go down. The game would have been iced if the Bills could have gotten the ball back with 2 minutes and gotten at least one first down. If you're playing the odds, I'd go with that choice. Maybe Jauron's backing of McKelvin is part of the reason he's so endearing to the players. I just hope he doesn't actually believe that it was a smart choice. I hope he had a word on the side with McKelvin and said something like, " I hope you learned something from that, and if we're ever in the same situation - go down".