Who/What is most to blame for the loss on MNF?

Who/what is most to blame for the loss on MNF?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who/What is most to blame for the loss on MNF?

• Poor defensive clock management (not keeping time on the clock)
    • Poor two minute offense (on the last drive)
    • Poor defensive approach in last 5 minutes (not aggressive enough)
    • Poor special teams coaching (Bobby April)
    • Leodis McKelvin
    • Our no huddle offense (not eating the clock enough)
    • Dropped passes killing our drives
    • Offensive penalties killing our drives
    • The Bills didn't lose, the Patriots won
    • Poor coverage by Keith Ellison
    • Poor offensive play (not enough points)

How about no pass rush in 4th quarter when they needed it. They were sucking wind pretty bad by end of 3rd quarter, didn't look like they had much left in 4th. If they would have kept the pressure on Brady, he probably doesn't get so comfortable and they don't have time to run deep plays over the middle like the scores they put on us.

No huddle and lack of 3rd down defense both contributed to that, as well as lack of consistent offense throughout game. Other than screen/draw game, the offense dint have many plays that worked very often. 2 fumbles in one game by same return man wasn't pretty either.

Do wish they would have pulled out one of those screens after the completion to TO, to slow down the Pats pass rush on that last drive however.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.

I'm not sure if there was one blitz in the last five minutes either. Tom was at his shakiest when there was someone near his knee.

EDIT: I think this is the same reason we lost the Dallas MNG as well.

Whenever we blitzed NE during the game they completed passes against us and almost burned us a couple of times. The best defense we played was when we were getting pressure with a 4 man rush. This stopped happening late in the game. IMO, this is mainly because 1) our DL got tired from being on the field so much which is both their and the offenses fault and somewhat 2) Kelsay getting hurt shortening our DL rotation.

All this being said, if McKelvin doesn't fumble, our offense would've had a chance to win us the game or at the VERY least run some time off the clock and punt NE back to make things tougher for them (as well as give our defense a rest).

The blame should be put squarely on Bobby April, IMO. Our Special Teams coach, at a crucial point in the game, should have made it clear to Leodis that under NO circumstances should he attempt to run it back if any part of his body was in the end zone when he was going to catch the ball. Pretty simple instructions. We are OK with a touchback, Leodis, no need to make a play here (and also say, by the way, Leodis, if you do run it back, protect the ball at all costs . . .).

Of course, a game is made up of a bunch of good things and mistakes, and you never know what would have happened if a certain mistake had not been made, but in this case, given how late in the game it was, it seems pretty reasonable that but-for this glaring error, we most likely would have won the game.

Whenever we blitzed NE during the game they completed passes against us and almost burned us a couple of times. The best defense we played was when we were getting pressure with a 4 man rush. This stopped happening late in the game. IMO, this is mainly because 1) our DL got tired from being on the field so much which is both their and the offenses fault and somewhat 2) Kelsay getting hurt shortening our DL rotation.

All this being said, if McKelvin doesn't fumble, our offense would've had a chance to win us the game or at the VERY least run some time off the clock and punt NE back to make things tougher for them (as well as give our defense a rest).

I still think that I would choose almost getting burned while blitzing, over getting burned while not...twice.

True, that fumble was very damaging, especially do the defense. After they long drive where they gave up a TD they had to come right back out, not only tired, but still probably smarting from last one.

The blame should be put squarely on Bobby April, IMO. Our Special Teams coach, at a crucial point in the game, should have made it clear to Leodis that under NO circumstances should he attempt to run it back if any part of his body was in the end zone when he was going to catch the ball. Pretty simple instructions. We are OK with a touchback, Leodis, no need to make a play here (and also say, by the way, Leodis, if you do run it back, protect the ball at all costs . . .).

Of course, a game is made up of a bunch of good things and mistakes, and you never know what would have happened if a certain mistake had not been made, but in this case, given how late in the game it was, it seems pretty reasonable that but-for this glaring error, we most likely would have won the game.

See I disagree with the bolded above. Firstly we don't yet know (we may never) what was said in the sideline huddle before the kickoff. It's hard for me to believe that Bobby April didn't go over the situational aspect of the kickoff.

And even if he didn't, Leodis is a first round pick in his second year at kick return duties who also returned many kickoffs in college. He's a highly paid professional. He shouldn't need to be told what is crucial in that situation.

Does anyone think the offensive coordinator should tell the quarterback every time he has a 3rd and 5 from the opponents 30 yard line "don't take a sack because it'll put us out of field goal range?" Does anyone here think that a baseball player needs to be told by a coach what to do when there are runners on the corners with two out and the #3 hitter at the plate?

I don't blame April. Leodis has the professional responsibility to know what his job entails.

Agree with all but Ellison.

Yes, I don't blame Ellison either. He did a pretty nice job covering the tall, athletic tight end down the middle. Brady is very hard to contain in that situation. I would say the defensive approach before blaming Ellison.

But as some people (on other posts) have pointed the finger at Ellison, I'll add that as one of the choices.

Today is a very high traffic day here and everyone seems to have an opinion on why the Bills ultimately lost. In an attempt to find out if there is a consensus, I created this poll.

I think that it is Leodis McKelvin's fault. He had the ballgame in his hands and coughed it up. Not fumbling does not guarantee a Bills win but if he had not fumbled what are the chances that the Bills win? I think it would be at least 90%

You can point to the other factors but none of them are a single moment in the game like the fumble was. All the other poll choices (it seems to me) point the finger at a group of plays or are a specific period of time during the game.

The fumble was a single, crucial, momentum-swinging play that happened just as many of us were entertaining the thought of victory.

Nonetheless, that's only my opinion. I'd like to know yours.

I think it is all Mckelvin's fault. They would not have had any timeouts after our posession and we definitely would have won.

The offense on the last drive. Chinese fire drill. TE could be seeing shout "WHAT?" as the sideline was sending in the play. Timeout call.

So far that has not been a popular choice in the poll...which is kind of interesting.

The Bills got the ball back with :45 seconds left at their own 21 yard line. They had two timeouts left. They needed to get to the New England 35 for a reasonable attempt at a GWFG.

It is odd that the Patriots suddenly got two sacks on that "drive" considering the pass protection had been pretty good up until then. The Patriots must have changed something up. Also the Bills might have been guilty of being too aggressive in the play calling.

With 44 yards to go (for a field goal) in 45 seconds with two timeouts remaining, the Bills arguable could have kept with the same play calls which were so successful earlier rather than trying to force it downfield.

But it's a moot point if Leodis holds onto the ball.

See I disagree with the bolded above. Firstly we don't yet know (we may never) what was said in the sideline huddle before the kickoff. It's hard for me to believe that Bobby April didn't go over the situational aspect of the kickoff.

And even if he didn't, Leodis is a first round pick in his second year at kick return duties who also returned many kickoffs in college. He's a highly paid professional. He shouldn't need to be told what is crucial in that situation.

Does anyone think the offensive coordinator should tell the quarterback every time he has a 3rd and 5 from the opponents 30 yard line "don't take a sack because it'll put us out of field goal range?" Does anyone here think that a baseball player needs to be told by a coach what to do when there are runners on the corners with two out and the #3 hitter at the plate?

I don't blame April. Leodis has the professional responsibility to know what his job entails.

Some very good points, and there is certainly a lot we don't know. In thinking more about it, perhaps the blame should be shared b/w the two. I can't get away from the notion that "management" shares at least some of the responsibility in this instance. Part of the role of management is to make sure you have the right players that know their roles and can execute - And in a very critical situation, management should say the right things to players. Particularly given how young LM is, why not give him some critical guidance before the kickoff return? Of course, we don't know what was or wasn't said to LM.

So far that has not been a popular choice in the poll...which is kind of interesting.

More stupid than interesting. People are clueless.

It is odd that the Patriots suddenly got two sacks on that "drive" considering the pass protection had been pretty good up until then. The Patriots must have changed something up. Also the Bills might have been guilty of being too aggressive in the play calling.

Not really. They knew they could sell all out with pressure. 45 seconds isn't very long to get 50 yards downfield when the D is defending for that.

But it's a moot point if Leodis holds onto the ball.

Yup.

At the very least, [bobby April] should have told Leodis not to run it back into traffic with the "hands" team out there blocking for him.

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm curious as to whether McKelvin received such instruction but ignored it or if that return was treated like any other. Given April's track record and McKelvin's stated lack of self-doubt, I'm guessing it's the former.

What a damned shame; a couple of minutes of ball-control offense could have salted away one hell of an upset win. Only a solid thumping of the Pats* in game 2 will put this one to rest for me.

Today is a very high traffic day here and everyone seems to have an opinion on why the Bills ultimately lost. In an attempt to find out if there is a consensus, I created this poll.

I think that it is Leodis McKelvin's fault. He had the ballgame in his hands and coughed it up. Not fumbling does not guarantee a Bills win but if he had not fumbled what are the chances that the Bills win? I think it would be at least 90%

You can point to the other factors but none of them are a single moment in the game like the fumble was. All the other poll choices (it seems to me) point the finger at a group of plays or are a specific period of time during the game.

The fumble was a single, crucial, momentum-swinging play that happened just as many of us were entertaining the thought of victory.

Nonetheless, that's only my opinion. I'd like to know yours.

Its simple, we lost the game most likely becuase of a fumbled ball, however, if he doesnt fumble and takes a touchback we may have still lost. So its not really fair to say we lost becuase of him only. With NE essentially having 4 timeouts if Leodis takes a kneel, then if we dont get a first down NE gets the ball back with a timeout and more than a minute and a half on the clock which is plenty of time for Brady.

The bigger reason we lost was because we didnt adjust on offense. AVP made improvements to this offense that were noticeable, but he did not adjust in the second half like NE did to us. All game Evans and Owens were taken out becuase of double coverage. Well, thats because we kept running mid range and long range routes for them on most plays where the safeties were supplying the double coverage.

AVP needs to make the second half adjustment and start running 3 step drop backs and fire to a quick slanting Owens or Evans. They need to bring them on crossing routes, short curls, and picks for each other. We will NEVER have a deep game if we cant develop a short underneath game to our wideouts.

We literally made it easy for the Pats to cover our stud WR's. The Pats on the other hand brought Welker and Moss short on quick fire routes which opened up the deep middle of the field for the strikes to Watson. Thats how you open up the field by running your Wideouts short, med and long.

But it was AVP's first game and he did much better than anyone expected, but it did lead to our Offense being one dimensional. If he makes that adjustment to compliment the rest of our offensive game play yesterday, I think we would have put a lot more points on the board, especially the way Freddie was playing and would have had been up by a lot more.

All in all though, a lot of positives from the game and a young team.