Who/What is most to blame for the loss on MNF?

Who/what is most to blame for the loss on MNF?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who/What is most to blame for the loss on MNF?

• Poor defensive clock management (not keeping time on the clock)
    • Poor two minute offense (on the last drive)
    • Poor defensive approach in last 5 minutes (not aggressive enough)
    • Poor special teams coaching (Bobby April)
    • Leodis McKelvin
    • Our no huddle offense (not eating the clock enough)
    • Dropped passes killing our drives
    • Offensive penalties killing our drives
    • The Bills didn't lose, the Patriots won
    • Poor coverage by Keith Ellison
    • Poor offensive play (not enough points)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason we lost is because we couldn't protect an 11 point lead, with 5:33 left in the game. Period.

I still think that's trumped by the fact that Leodis fumbled. If he holds on to the ball, chances are excellent that the Bills win.

All the other poll choices really address things that suggest that if we had done better on a handful of plays or during a certain stretch of the game, we would have won.

But McKelvin's fumble was one play which swung the field, the momentum, and the crowd in the Patriots' favor.

Today is a very high traffic day here and everyone seems to have an opinion on why the Bills ultimately lost. In an attempt to find out if there is a consensus, I created this poll.

I think that it is Leodis McKelvin's fault. He had the ballgame in his hands and coughed it up. Not fumbling does not guarantee a Bills win but if he had not fumbled what are the chances that the Bills win? I think it would be at least 90%

You can point to the other factors but none of them are a single moment in the game like the fumble was. All the other poll choices (it seems to me) point the finger at a group of plays or are a specific period of time during the game.

The fumble was a single, crucial, momentum-swinging play that happened just as many of us were entertaining the thought of victory.

Nonetheless, that's only my opinion. I'd like to know yours.

Poor coverage by Keith Ellison [ 2 ] [1.77%]

At least I'm not the only person that thinks Ellison belongs on the sidelines. He blew the coverage on the exact same play, twice, for touchdowns. Ben friggin Watson, are you kidding me? :D

Furthermore, our clock management once we were down again was terrible once again. Using a timeout after the first play? WTF. There are pop warner teams all over the country with coaches that are smarter than that.

I would bet my nuts that April TOLD McKelvin to run that ball out, because he is too good a coach not to tell him that. We lose if he doesnt because the Pats have too much time and Jauron does not have the balls to play aggresive enough D.

BTW: before Leodis's second fumble, I turned to the friends I was watching the game with and said "they should have McGee return this kick, Leo fumbled the last one". A good coach would have done just that.

agreed April's boys seem horrible this year, maybe due to the new rules he can't scheme around

At the very least, he should have told Leodis not to run it back into traffic with the "hands" team out there blocking for him.

Get it together, Bobby

seeing the Bills defense was sucking wind from chasing NEs WRs all over the field, April should not have even sent Loedis out to return the KO.

someone fully rested would have been a much better choice to fall on the ball in the end zone.

See I disagree with the bolded above. Firstly we don't yet know (we may never) what was said in the sideline huddle before the kickoff. It's hard for me to believe that Bobby April didn't go over the situational aspect of the kickoff.

And even if he didn't, Leodis is a first round pick in his second year at kick return duties who also returned many kickoffs in college. He's a highly paid professional. He shouldn't need to be told what is crucial in that situation.

Does anyone think the offensive coordinator should tell the quarterback every time he has a 3rd and 5 from the opponents 30 yard line "don't take a sack because it'll put us out of field goal range?" Does anyone here think that a baseball player needs to be told by a coach what to do when there are runners on the corners with two out and the #3 hitter at the plate?

I don't blame April. Leodis has the professional responsibility to know what his job entails.

what else do these coaches have to do - other than ensure that their players are in the best position to make plays.

your idea of hands off coaching is pure crap and why the Bills keep losing

I blame Leodis only for not hanging on to the ball. He should've went down to one knee at least when the first guy wrapped him up. On a side note, replay showed Jarius Byrd #31 just standing there watching McKelvin get mugged before the ball came out. A little more urgency from his teammates could've helped Leodis.

There is one other play I blame McKelvin for. On a third and long, Brady threw to Faulk and McKelvin whiffed on an open field tackle that could've stopped that drive. The Pats went on to score their second TD that drive.

Demitrius "It's My First Day" Bell

As I said at the top, I believe the loss is on McKelvin. But if you were to blame Demetrius Bell, to me, that goes on the coaching staff for putting a player in that position for the entire game. A guy who's never played a regular season game playing left tackle in the season opener, on the road, on Monday Night Football?

IMO you cannot blame Bell...because he was put in a very difficult situation by a coaching staff/organization that hadn't sufficiently planned for things.

And in spite of Bell's mistakes, the Bills most likely would have won the game if McKelvin simply didn't fumble the ball.

Bobby April hands down. Its his friggin job to make sure the players on his units know what to do. It didnt take a rocket scientist to know the Patriots would be looking to stand up the returner and try and strip the ball. To run it out 4 yards deep, with no return setup, with the lead and just over 2 mins remaining was moronic. There was plenty of time after the Patriots long TD drive and kickoff to make sure Leodis knew the situation and the strategy. Either Bobby April didnt do his job or Leodis totally ignored his instructions.

Bobby April hands down. Its his friggin job to make sure the players on his units know what to do. It didnt take a rocket scientist to know the Patriots would be looking to stand up the returner and try and strip the ball. To run it out 4 yards deep, with no return setup, with the lead and just over 2 mins remaining was moronic. There was plenty of time after the Patriots long TD drive and kickoff to make sure Leodis knew the situation and the strategy. Either Bobby April didnt do his job or Leodis totally ignored his instructions.

And it's Wednesday and I believe we're still waiting to hear a reporter ask that question.

Because that is the crux of the biscuit.

So far Bobby April is the 3nd choice among voters. The 2nd choice is poor/soft defense in the last 5 minutes.

And it's Wednesday and I believe we're still waiting to hear a reporter ask that question.

Because that is the crux of the biscuit.

So far Bobby April is the 3nd choice among voters. The 2nd choice is poor/soft defense in the last 5 minutes.

I asked that in another post, why havent we had a reporter ask that question? Because someone needs to be held responsible.

You can't blame Bobby at all. The fumble is on LOLeodis. He did the same thing earlier in the game and fumbled. You think he wouldn't be a complete moron and go down.

Well if Leodis was told to get down if he returned it, and didnt, then he should be removed from returning kicks if he cant follow a coaches instructions.