Moss & Welker had 12 catches EACH

Got_Wood

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they weren't. Moss had man-over coverage ONLY to prevent anything deep, as did Galloway. Of the 24 catches between them, how many were caught IN FRONT of the zone coverage underneath? Yeah, thought so.

24 catches for Moss/Welker and they weren't the difference in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

+1

you know this is a team sport, right?

Terrell?

A team sport that pays these two guys about half of the team's salary. And why do we do this? Oh yeah, to win games.

Why are all of you defending this offense? It seems that everyone is OK with just squeaking out games in the end. We need to take commanding lead and bury our opponents.

Once again, I think Trent played well. But he did so within a very simplified offensive game plan. Criticize me all you want, but that is a fact.

Another factor in those stats is the Bills defense pretty much shut down the run for the Pats, whereas, Buffalo was getting chunks on the ground. Also, they had to score twice (and they did) in what 5 minutes, so they didn't have the luxury of running, they had to throw every down.

The original poster has a point. Good teams get the ball in the hands of their elite players. and they find ways to occasionally get their best receivers open deep. Edwards played very well, but the Bills are now 28th in the league in yardage gained and probably last in TOP. There were some positive signs - the red zone offense was very good. But getting to the red zone was the problem. They didn't have any big chunk plays; rather they had nice two-to-three play spurts that resulted in bungled drives because something would go wrong. Evans and Owens are great players who can make plays 30+ yards down the field. That has to be part of the offense if they want to graduate to the top 20 offenses (never mind top 15). Otherwise, there are going to be a lot of 13 to 20 point games in which the Bills will put themselves in a position to give it away at the end. Without a dominating defense, that looks to me like 7-9 all over again. I'm not waving the white flag yet because I like AVP, but the Bills have to get their studs involved.

The original poster has a point. Good teams get the ball in the hands of their elite players. and they find ways to occasionally get their best receivers open deep. Edwards played very well, but the Bills are now 28th in the league in yardage gained and probably last in TOP. There were some positive signs - the red zone offense was very good. But getting to the red zone was the problem. They didn't have any big chunk plays; rather they had nice two-to-three play spurts that resulted in bungled drives because something would go wrong. Evans and Owens are great players who can make plays 30+ yards down the field. That has to be part of the offense if they want to graduate to the top 20 offenses (never mind top 15). Otherwise, there are going to be a lot of 13 to 20 point games in which the Bills will put themselves in a position to give it away at the end. Without a dominating defense, that looks to me like 7-9 all over again. I'm not waving the white flag yet because I like AVP, but the Bills have to get their studs involved.

Thank you very much! Somebody sees the light.

I also like AVP. But, he needs to make adjustments within games. And he needs to be able to get the ball to his best players regardless of the coverage our opponent is giving us.

Why are all of you defending this offense? It seems that everyone is OK with just squeaking out games in the end. We need to take commanding lead and bury our opponents.

I would like to think I speak for many on this board who would be happy to be ahead by 11 with 4 minutes to go in the rest of our games this season.

How many holding calls did we have on runs and short - medium passes? And you want to throw the ball downfield to a receiver who is being double covered. Just because you want to see something happen doesn't make it right.

:lol:

Do you even understand how completely off the wall you are with this. The Patriots we playing a man coverage with safty help over the top. In order to take a shot deep either TO or Evens would have had to completely burn both the CB and Saftey. Thats something that isn't likely to happen. Moss and Welker were able to get there receptions because the bills were playing off them and not playing a press coverage. This type of zones allows for a reciever to sit down on a route and you take what the defense gives you. The Bills played the perfect game plan and if the Patriots would have committed to shutting down Jackson on the screen plays that would have opened up the deep route that you believe was missing from the game. The Patriots decided there best option was to allow the short game rather than giving up the big plays down the field. In the final minute when we got the ball back the patriots moved into a prevent style defense which allowed Trent to hit TO on 20 yard crossing route.

Moss and Welker BOTH dropped 2 passes each. This happens every game to guys who get targeted often. But guess what? Brady kept going back to them. And they got results. Why? Because they are playmakers, and YOU GIVE PLAYMAKERS THE BALL.

:lol::P:wallbash:

If we cant get the ball to the WR's we will be in deep trouble.

I would like to think I speak for many on this board who would be happy to be ahead by 11 with 4 minutes to go in the rest of our games this season.

Lets be real here...we were ahead because Schobel prematurely ended a Pats drive by intercepting the ball and scoring a TD and the Pats also missed a FG. Its not like we controlled the game from an offensive point of view. In fact, that Schobel play could have very well been a 10 or 14 point turnaround if the Pats would have scored on that drive.

So using the score to justify the offensive play is not really fair. We didnt sustain many drives. I know we had a couple dropped passes for first downs, but other than those throws there werent many other ones thrown long enough to be first downs. A lot of the passes were short of the first down marker by a lot and require a run after the catch to get it. Playing like that will not have us up 11 late in the game, it will more often have us down 11 late in the game...

Bottom line, we need to find a way to get the ball down field or our offense will be average at best and we will struggle to win all year.

Lets be real here...we were ahead because Schobel prematurely ended a Pats drive by intercepting the ball and scoring a TD and the Pats also missed a FG. Its not like we controlled the game from an offensive point of view. In fact, that Schobel play could have very well been a 10 or 14 point turnaround if the Pats would have scored on that drive.

So using the score to justify the offensive play is not really fair. We didnt sustain many drives. I know we had a couple dropped passes for first downs, but other than those throws there werent many other ones thrown long enough to be first downs. A lot of the passes were short of the first down marker by a lot and require a run after the catch to get it. Playing like that will not have us up 11 late in the game, it will more often have us down 11 late in the game...

Bottom line, we need to find a way to get the ball down field or our offense will be average at best and we will struggle to win all year.

There were three dropped third down passes that would of resulted in first downs. One was a 20 yard strike to Evans up the middle, the other was to Fred Jackson and the other was on a slant to T.O, and that's not even including the penalty that negated the other 20 yard strike completed to Josh Reed. There were even more drops in the game, I remember another 15 yarder to Shawn Nelson and what about the drive killing penalties? The fact of the matter Alpha is that if they hadn't of dropped those passes, we would of scored more points. If it weren't for the dropped passes he would of easily have gone 20-25 with over 250 yards.

I do happen to believe though that we have to take more shots down the field, but he did throw the ball effectively on the 20 yard routes, we just happened to drop them or have penalties against us.

He played well.

We need to target Evans and Owens more on every possession. If we don't, then trade all of our receivers because we're not using them.

The screen game is great. But we can't over use it. If we want to win ball games, we give it to the guys that make plays. TO can make BIG plays. And we have all seen Evans beat guys down the field before.

dudebro, get a grip. Our offense put up 17pts yesterday with essentially 3 rookies on the O-Line, 1 rookie TE, a WR who hasn't played with our 1st team O or Trent all training camp (TO), and a O Coordinator that has been on the job for 10 days. WE SCORED 3 PTS IN 5 GAMES THIS PRESEASON! I'm sick of hearing about Lee Evans this, TO that. We had the game won the way we were playing offense. If you'd rather target TO and Lee Evans 14 times each, which means Trent is throwing the ball 40 times+, then more than likely that means we are losing the game (check Trent's PA history).

If it ain't broke dont fix it. Last night our swing passes, screens, sweeps and over the middle passes is what NE gave us, and we took advantage of it. You and others who continue to gripe about this discrepancy between Moss/Welker and TO/Evans need to check our football game knowledge at the door. We are not New England. We do not give Trent 8 seconds to throw the ball - a la Brady.

I had my problems with the overall plan, but I can't think of any instances where Edwards didn't throw it long enough. It might be a good idea for you to admit that he had a great game. He should have been 20-25 -- I counted five drops (2 by Jackson, one by TO, one by Evans, and one by Nelson). His passer rating was 114 too. He was hardly the problem.