Enough Whining....Who Watched the Oline?

ajzepp

i thought the line played well overall with the exception of Bell who clearly isnt ready to be a starter and was overmatched tremendously when it mattered most

Bell played OK...he was terrible at the end of the game, and made awful errors leading to penalties.

Basically, he didn't look like he was prepared to be an NFL starter. Don't get me wrong, he has the skills to be an NFL starter, but he wasn't ready to be one on this night...

Bell looked fine on the running plays. He got to the 2nd level with ease whenever possible. He struggled with Banta-Cain in pass pro, but that was mostly technique, and not a physical failing. We'll have to take some lumps while he gets his legs under him and takes some gameday reps, but he won't be no Kris Farris out there.

Butler is the weak link on runs, he can't get low with knee/hip flex and constantly has someone get under him and straighten him up. Butler and Bell are weak links in pass pro. Bell will improve... I'm not convinced with Butler. I'd feel better if we had a Terrance Pennington caliber guy to throw out there at RT. That position will probably need an upgrade in the next year or so.

Reminded me of the screens we used to kill Miami with all those years when Thurman was playing.

Absolutely.......... that was an aspect I haven't seen with this team for a while..... screens have a way of killing a pass rush too

Bell played OK...he was terrible at the end of the game, and made awful errors leading to penalties.

Basically, he didn't look like he was prepared to be an NFL starter. Don't get me wrong, he has the skills to be an NFL starter, but he wasn't ready to be one on this night...

I pretty much agree with that. One play stands out in my mind. Bell got cleanly beaten by the guy he was supposed to be blocking. As the guy rushed passed him, Bell committed a holding penalty. But even that wasn't enough to prevent the defender from arriving at Trent almost instantly. The Patriots declined the penalty, because the defender's almost instant arrival in the backfield blew up the play.

Problems like that are to be expected from a second year player and first-time starter, playing the most demanding position on the line. Missing so much time in preseason due to injury didn't help. And, if memory serves, Bell doesn't have nearly the same amount of pre-NFL football experience as most other guys in the league. So you'd expect some problems early on, regardless of how good a player he might become once he catches on.

Your assessment is dead-on accurate: Bell wasn't ready to be an NFL starter tonight. He made some very bad plays, especially in pass protection. I don't have a solid feeling one way or the other about how his career is likely to turn out.

I'm awaiting a back procedure tomorrow and have a bunch of narcotics running through my system, so I didn't get to pay close attention to our record-setting (3 first time starters) Oline. Can anyone give a detailed analysis of how well they played? Particularly the rooks? I know D.Bell had a couple of boneheaded illegal formation penalties, but given the circumstances it would appear they held up relatively well.

Thoughts?

they did well...until that last drive ...--already an improvement over the slobs from last year

I'm awaiting a back procedure tomorrow and have a bunch of narcotics running through my system, so I didn't get to pay close attention to our record-setting (3 first time starters) Oline. Can anyone give a detailed analysis of how well they played? Particularly the rooks? I know D.Bell had a couple of boneheaded illegal formation penalties, but given the circumstances it would appear they held up relatively well.

Thoughts?

Bell made repeated mental errors and was frequently beat. I like to wonder what that game would have looked like with J Peters in there...but I digress. The rest of the O-line played unbelievably fantastic. I could not believe what I was seeing.

Reminded me of the screens we used to kill Miami with all those years when Thurman was playing.

I almost wanted to start another thread....but I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Jim Kelly had some input into this offense.

The screens..

Draws with misdirection..

The 20 yard skinny post Evans dropped (how often do you see Evans over the middle?)...

These were bread and butter in the heyday.

Next week you know they will take some shots. There was no real need to tonight as they were seemingly in control of the scoreboard.

Guest dog14787

I was impressed with the whole football team , but the O-line in particular allowed TE enough of a comfort level to make plays and in my opinion will only get better with experience.

The Offensive play calling was like a breath of fresh air, AVP called a great football game, I just can't say it enough about AVP.

I was impressed with the whole football team , but the O-line in particular allowed TE enough of a comfort level to make plays and in my opinion will only get better with experience.

The Offensive play calling was like a breath of fresh air, AVP called a great football game, I just can't say it enough about AVP.

No doubt about that. If we play that well all season, and can lessen the mistakes that were made (i.e. dropped passes, bad penalties, etc), which is reasonable to expect considering all the turmoil on the roster and coaching staff leading into the season, we look like a team that can beat anyone in the league. This kind of play gives us a chance to win it all. It is going to be an exciting season I think.

If we play that well all season...

They won't play this well again this season. They were poised, they were ready, and they blew it. I don't think they win 5 games, the wind was officially taken out of their sails last night. Thanks Leodis.

Best wishes for a successful procedure!

As for our new OL, we need sunglasses, 'cuz the future is very bright!! :pirate:

Thanks ;)

And I agree...I like what I saw last night, and those of you who paid a little closer attention than I did seem to be giving pretty high marks, too. Having a dominant Oline will help this team get back to the promised land.