Enough Whining....Who Watched the Oline?

ajzepp

I'm awaiting a back procedure tomorrow and have a bunch of narcotics running through my system, so I didn't get to pay close attention to our record-setting (3 first time starters) Oline. Can anyone give a detailed analysis of how well they played? Particularly the rooks? I know D.Bell had a couple of boneheaded illegal formation penalties, but given the circumstances it would appear they held up relatively well.

Thoughts?

Hangartner actually handled Wilfork like a real NFL center is supposed to. Wood and Levitre pulled well on the outside runs and were the reasons we actually had a screen game tonight. I was quite impressed with the overall line play.

I agree. Bell made stupid mistakes but overall they really impressed me. All these folks that keep saying there is nothing positive to say are crazy. Even when Jauron is gone next year we might just have us quite an OL in the making. Think of the pressure they were under tonight.

Hangartner actually handled Wilfork like a real NFL center is supposed to. Wood and Levitre pulled well on the outside runs and were the reasons we actually had a screen game tonight. I was quite impressed with the overall line play.

That's awesome. When they put the graphic up that this was the first time in history that three first-time starters were on the line at the same time, I freaked out. But it did seem that the interior held up really well, since Trent actually had a pocket to step up into this time. Last year there was no where for him to go and he'd just get hammered and fumble. It was nice to see that Trent had a pocket, and I think there were a few times where he was like, "holy sh--, a POCKET!"

I think just about all of us have agreed that the two lines have been the main reason why we have sucked for so long, so it's hard for me to not feel pretty good about where this group could be by mid-season.

Except for Bell with 3 silly penalties, they were borderline great IMO. They were mobile (GH and Bell would led the backs around end) and generally gave Trent all day to throw. The running game was also much improved.

If there is one good thing about this kick in the balls game, it appears we have teh foundation finally for a good oline.

I agree. Bell made stupid mistakes but overall they really impressed me. All these folks that keep saying there is nothing positive to say are crazy. Even when Jauron is gone next year we might just have us quite an OL in the making. Think of the pressure they were under tonight.

I have no trouble admitting that I felt kicked in the balls by the last five mins of this game, but I honestly was shocked that we played as well as we did. I mean, hell, we're Bills fans. We are accustomed to getting kicked in the balls at least once a year. The Elam FG a couple years ago....Nick fuggin Folk....tonight....etc. It's just part of the territory. They probably should put a pair of big, red, hairy, inflamed balls under the feet of the charging Buffalo on the helmets just to make the team emblem more accurate. But anyway, how many people actually thought we'd take the Pats on in their house and basically have the game in hand with five mins to go? And why is nobody mentioning Shawn Nelson?? That guy's TD ws fantastic, and I think he's going to be a great option for Trent. But the Oline is very interesting to me, and I hope that they gel and stay healthy.

I have no trouble admitting that I felt kicked in the balls by the last five mins of this game, but I honestly was shocked that we played as well as we did. I mean, hell, we're Bills fans. We are accustomed to getting kicked in the balls at least once a year. The Elam FG a couple years ago....Nick fuggin Folk....tonight....etc. It's just part of the territory. They probably should put a pair of big, red, hairy, inflamed balls under the feet of the charging Buffalo on the helmets just to make the team emblem more accurate. But anyway, how many people actually thought we'd take the Pats on in their house and basically have the game in hand with five mins to go? And why is nobody mentioning Shawn Nelson?? That guy's TD ws fantastic, and I think he's going to be a great option for Trent. But the Oline is very interesting to me, and I hope that they gel and stay healthy.

Dick's got Levitre and Wood....

....childish, but someone hadda do it

As frustrated as I am with this team, the O-Line did look very good. I'm willing to chalk up Bell's penalties to him being so raw, and the good news is that when he locked into his defender, the guy was pushed clear out of the way.

Another good (and overlooked) note is that ALL of these guys are going to be Buffalo Bills for at least the next couple of years with 4 out of the 5 being signed for 5 years. If they show this much promise early, we may *gasp* actually have an O-Line to build with.