I am as big a homer as anyone....and I liked Poz BUT

Lots of Penn Staters on this board bills44. I'm not knocking the Penn St fans, but the LBers from Penn St have been overhyped for some time now. For the record(I'm not a PennSt=bust U basher), I think Maybin will have a Jason Taylor type career. He'll get owned by some of the elite OT's over the course of his career, but he will make his share of plays too. If he developes an effective inside move, he'll be great.

Come on now, how can you judge a player by what college he went to. Poz won't be an "elite" linebacker. But he'll be a Shane Conlan type who's very good. Who knows about Maybin. He's yet to play a down. And he's what...20 years old? Lots of time to get heavier and stronger. If we judge by what college they went to there would never be a great player from Kutztown State

Come on now, how can you judge a player by what college he went to. Poz won't be an "elite" linebacker. But he'll be a Shane Conlan type who's very good. Who knows about Maybin. He's yet to play a down. And he's what...20 years old? Lots of time to get heavier and stronger. If we judge by what college they went to there would never be a great player from Kutztown State

I wasn't really concerned about where he went to school. Whenever I watched him play in college, he always looked too stiff, and I wasn't sure if he had enoughq quickness and speed to be an NFL star.

I wasn't really concerned about where he went to school. Whenever I watched him play in college, he always looked too stiff, and I wasn't sure if he had enoughq quickness and speed to be an NFL star.

He looks like Frankenstein when he's in coverage. He's not instinctive. He is completely out of place in this defense, he would be much better in a 3-4 as a 2 down MLB.

Just as scarey is Marv had thoughts of taking Poz at the #11 spot - not to mention San Fran offered us

LB Willis in a slight trade down and we said no for a RB now suspended.....those are huge mistakes. As was passing 330lb Ngata for Donte Whitner.

Agreed and agreed. Hence the reason we are where we are. BTW how good does Sanchez look? Damn, very impressed.

Just as scarey is Marv had thoughts of taking Poz at the #11 spot - not to mention San Fran offered us

LB Willis in a slight trade down and we said no for a RB now suspended.....those are huge mistakes. As was passing 330lb Ngata for Donte Whitner.

Is any of this (besides Whitner over Ngata) true or just heresy?

How can you NOT use the college a player went to to help evaluate a player? The main reason is the competition the player is going against. The Big 10 isn't all that hot anymore. There is a reason why Penn St. linebackers aren't becoming stars in the NFL (speed).

Poz is pretty good. Im happy with him and don't consider him a guy that must be replaced.

Ellison....

My point is that there are plenty of terrific college players from big name schools that are total busts in the NFL. Poz is good, He will be better. He's not going to make anyone forget about Taylor, Ditka or other huge name linebackers. Conlan never really looked good in coverage either. Put some Players around him. When you get to this level it doesn't matter where you came from, it matters how hard you're willing to work to be the best you can possibly be. Lots of Heisman trophy winners that were great college players but never made it in the NFL.