Did It Occur To Anyone Else Watching Last Night's Game....

MattM

Especially on O. The Steelers and Titans D's just bashed each other last night--a great game, but a defensive game nonetheless. Those looked like two of the top D's in the League. Add in GB, who looked dominant in pre-season at least (enough that I took them in my fantasy league). Our O looked decent against more average D's like Chicago and Detroit. New England's talent level on D, particularly after the Seymour trade, is nowhere near that of the Titans or Steelers, IMHO, but they do have Belicheat as coach. Dare I say it, but Monday night may not be quite the blowout folks think. Not saying we win, but do think we'll show better than we did in August.....

How many TDs did we score against "more average D's" in preseason?

In the immortal words of "Tonto", "What's the "we" stuff, kemosabe?".....

That aside, let's see, they had one possession against the Titans, moving the ball well until a bad throw by Edwards for a pick and then against Chicago, again they moved the ball well, but didn't get it in the end zone. That's the first team O, of course. They didn't play vs. Detroit and then got stoned against the Steelers and Pack. That about sums it up. Not great results, obviously--pretty crappy, really--but the sample size is also relatively small, in particular the sample size against more average D's, which is what I suspect the Pats* will have this year, particularly without Seymour. Good thing they have Brady/Moss to cover that up, but I still suspect that against better/elite teams that's not going to be enough this year to give them W's. If something should happen to any of Brady, Moss or Wilfork, that team is done, IMHO, and will be lucky to finish with 9 wins, but that's just me. I've been wrong about them before and may be again, we'll see.....

The eternal optimism is refreshing.

I have never had as low expectations for a season as I do this year. But, I cannot recall a more tumultuous close to the offseason - firing OC & releasing starting LT. So, maybe something good will happen?

You obviously were not around for the Kay Stephenson, Vince Ferragamo years... :rolleyes:

Our O looked decent against more average D's like Chicago and Detroit.

Really? Tell us how you came to this conclusion...

against Chicago, again they moved the ball well, but didn't get it in the end zone. That's the first team O, of course. They didn't play vs. Detroit That about sums it up. Not great results, obviously--pretty crappy, really--

Not great results---"obviously".

Thanks for clearing that up.

when did Willy Parker stop being fast? He looked no better than Mewelde Moore last night. And Mendenhall looks like a bust. I know Tennessee's defense is good, but you can still look impressive when the ball is in your hands even if you're not making much yardage.

also the Titans passing down defense looked like the Bills'. Without Haynesworth, the 4 man rush just doesn't get it done.

Guest dog14787
Especially on O. The Steelers and Titans D's just bashed each other last night--a great game, but a defensive game nonetheless. Those looked like two of the top D's in the League. Add in GB, who looked dominant in pre-season at least (enough that I took them in my fantasy league). Our O looked decent against more average D's like Chicago and Detroit. New England's talent level on D, particularly after the Seymour trade, is nowhere near that of the Titans or Steelers, IMHO, but they do have Belicheat as coach. Dare I say it, but Monday night may not be quite the blowout folks think. Not saying we win, but do think we'll show better than we did in August.....

I agree with your train of thought on the high caliber competition throughout preseason. Turk Shonert lost his job for basically not scoring any points. Almost half way through the Titans/Steelers game and its still zero to zero, two of our preseason opponents, both playoff caliber and one of them the Superbowl Champion.

I was thinking to myself T.O. would have probably scored by now. :rolleyes:

This occured to:

if Big Ben was taken by the Bills he would be out of the league- he is a sack machine but currently has a defense to keep him in games until he can do something good

big ben on the bills would be a bust

I came away with the distinct impression that 1.) Pittsburgh's O-line is simply awesome, and 2.) Big Ben is truly an NFL caliber QB in the way moves in the pocket, finds the open receiver, and slings it DOWN THE FIELD for receptions AND touchdowns!

I came away with the distinct impression that 1.) Pittsburgh's O-line is simply awesome, and 2.) Big Ben is truly an NFL caliber QB in the way moves in the pocket, finds the open receiver, and slings it DOWN THE FIELD for receptions AND touchdowns!

I'm struggling to see how you came away with that first impression. The only time Ben wasn't being pressured was when the Titans were only rushing 4 and the Steelers offensive line only ran the ball for 36 yards on 23 running plays. I'd call their performance more worrying than awesome (if I was a Steelers fan)

I agree wholeheartedly about Roethlisberger though.

1) I didn't get that impression between the sacks Ben took and the short-yardage failures.

2) Yeah, I did get that one.