anyone feel this way about flat panel TV's?

SDS

Well part of that is because the CRTs are 4:3, whereas the LCD/Plasma screens are 16:9. So, for example, a 32" CRT TV is about the same height as a 42" LCD/Plasma TV - you're gaining width.

http://tv09.org/

Comparing a 27" CRT to a 42" widescreen TV, the latter is only 4" taller.

Ummm... I was told there wouldn't be any math. :wallbash:

I think "how cute" I should pick up a couple for the kids...

Man it was only 6 years ago I was rocking a 27" CRT, now I look at these 42" screens and they seem so incredibly small. Who's with me?

Agree totally - the things have also come so far down in price that you are tempted to buy a bigger one just because you can.

I think "how cute" I should pick up a couple for the kids...

Man it was only 6 years ago I was rocking a 27" CRT, now I look at these 42" screens and they seem so incredibly small. Who's with me?

I know I'm living in the stone age,but I'm completely happy with my 36" CRT. The giant screens just don't do enough for me to put out the money for one.

I know I'm living in the stone age,but I'm completely happy with my 36" CRT. The giant screens just don't do enough for me to put out the money for one.

Wow... What am I a Luddite? :doh::wallbash: My only TV in the house is a 20" (GE) one that my mother (God rest her soul) WON at a church raffle in around 1990... :lol::lol: Still kicking in our armoire for almost 20 years.

PS... I grew up with a 19" B&W Admiral set... My wife too, she didn't realize that Grover on Sesame street was blue until she was a sophmore in college! That is 1987 folks!... :)

Was in Sam's Club yesterday, as soon as you walk in there are the 50"-60" sets looking right at you. The next aisle are the smaller, and like you noted, a 42" looks tiny compared to the others. I'm still using my 27" CRT that I've had over 10 years now. I remember I paid around $400 for it.

Yep count me in; I used to work for a smallish AV shop called Tweeter and I was fortunate to get great equip. at heavily discounted prices. (Sometimes more than fifty % off. :rolleyes: )

Back in '01 I made a leap from a 32" to a 36" tube.

In '04, I went from that 36" XBR up to a 53" Pio. Elite RPTV

My last size adjustment was done in '07, when I sold my 53" Pio. and invested in a 60" Pio. Elite plasma.

So if I don't buck the trend, come 2010 I should be moving up to a 65 or 70". Unfortunately, as of today, I don't know if there is a monitor out there that can compare to the Kuro (performance relative to price) that I currently own. I love this thing more than any other television that I've owned and don't want to replace it just for the sake of getting more screen size.