anyone feel this way about flat panel TV's?

SDS

I think "how cute" I should pick up a couple for the kids...

Man it was only 6 years ago I was rocking a 27" CRT, now I look at these 42" screens and they seem so incredibly small. Who's with me?

haha, i know what you mean. a friend of mine was the first of us to get a flat screen a few years back. a whopping 36". at the time, it was AWESOME.

since then, we've all gotten 46", 50", etc sets. We were just at our buddy's house this weekend and were all reminiscing about when that little guy was the best thing ever, and now we're almost too good for it. haha.

My eyes are really going and I tried to convince my wife to get a larger tv. Her reaction? She had enough trouble trying to adjust to tv in bedroom when we increased it to its current size. Some seem to just like it larger than others.

"Some seem to just like it larger than others."

thats what she said....haha lol :censored::censored:

My eyes are really going and I tried to convince my wife to get a larger tv. Her reaction? She had enough trouble trying to adjust to tv in bedroom when we increased it to its current size. Some seem to just like it larger than others.

If your wife has become used to a small size in the bedroom you probably only have yourself to blame. She might also be saying that so you don't feel self conscious. My guess is that if you surprise her with an enlargement she won't ask to go back to the old one even once.

I think "how cute" I should pick up a couple for the kids...

Man it was only 6 years ago I was rocking a 27" CRT, now I look at these 42" screens and they seem so incredibly small. Who's with me?

Well part of that is because the CRTs are 4:3, whereas the LCD/Plasma screens are 16:9. So, for example, a 32" CRT TV is about the same height as a 42" LCD/Plasma TV - you're gaining width.

http://tv09.org/

Comparing a 27" CRT to a 42" widescreen TV, the latter is only 4" taller.

Well part of that is because the CRTs are 4:3, whereas the LCD/Plasma screens are 16:9. So, for example, a 32" CRT TV is about the same height as a 42" LCD/Plasma TV - you're gaining width.

http://tv09.org/

Comparing a 27" CRT to a 42" widescreen TV, the latter is only 4" taller.

no, that's not part of it. I wasn't comparing the two sizes at all. I only made the observation that 42" sets seem tiny these days, which implies that they felt bigger in the past.

no, that's not part of it. I wasn't comparing the two sizes at all. I only made the observation that 42" sets seem tiny these days, which implies that they felt bigger in the past.

I still have my 20 year old 20" TV... What I want to know is, are the diagonal dimensions still the same. That is, a 42" should be 42" diagonally right? Or do they play games with that like they do with AC units and BTU's in the name of being efficient.

I still have my 20 year old 20" TV... What I want to know is, are the diagonal dimensions still the same. That is, a 42" should be 42" diagonally right? Or do they play games with that like they do with AC units and BTU's in the name of being efficient.

That's what I was initially posting about.

A CRT (4:3) diag is "taller" than an LCD (16:9). It's not "playing games;" it's in essence just comparing the diagnal of a square to a rectangle.

So like I said, a 32" CRT (4:3) is only 4" shorter than a 42" LCD (16:9). Go to the site I linked in a previous post, and type 32" inch for both a 4:3 compared to a 16:9 and you'll see what I mean:

Diagonal screen measurement (4:3):32.00 inches

Screen Width:25.60 inches

Screen Height:19.20 inches

Diagonal screen measurement (16:9):32.00 inches

Screen Width:27.89 inches

Screen Height:15.69 inches

LAMP: I know what you mean. I had a 42-inch Sharp Aquos flat screen for two years and it was great, but I bought a house in February and the thing was completely baby-tized in relation to the new living room.. Last weekend I bought a 52-inch Aquos for the living room and wall-mounted the 42-inch in the bedroom. Life is normal again.

:wallbash::cry:
If your wife has become used to a small size in the bedroom you probably only have yourself to blame. She might also be saying that so you don't feel self conscious. My guess is that if you surprise her with an enlargement she won't ask to go back to the old one even once.

That's right. Buy goods now before the coming hyperinflation thanks to this dramatic deficit and the billions of script that the Treasury Dept issues every day. :wallbash:

Someday soon, a 42" LCD will go for $4.5 million. Or 3 bottles of 20 year old Kessler's. I'm starting to see the big picture. :cry: