Target and Kohl's have told the Salvation Army

OnTheRocks

I heard a local report today that Target and Kohl's will not allow the Salvation Army to have their "kettle ringing campaign" in front of their stores this year.

is this a local deal in Rochester or a National thingy?

The bells bug me too, but I wish the complainers would do some research and learn how much the SA does.

113637[/snapback]

I think what it is, is that people feel guilty when they don't have change or whatever. Here they are, going shopping, so they probably have money, and there is the reminder that there are others who don't have money to bop into Kohls or Target and drop a few bucks...who wants to be reminded?

And when people feel guilty they immediately look for someone else to blame instead of just sucking it up and dropping a 5, 10 or 20 if that's all they've got. OR just walking by and dropping in nothing. The SA isn't judgmental.

That 5, 10 or 20 can make a big difference to someone who doesn't have much, especially a child at Christmas.

i ran this by my wife this evening and she made a good point.

the folks ringing the bells never (at least where i live) ask for a donation....

maybe the complaints would be minimal if the stores allowed the bell ringers to set up within a certain distance from the entrance and/or exit? rather than right on top of the door.

it is nothing like being accosted boy Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts at Wal-Mart when they are selling their stuff. Going in and coming out.

I think they should just have the policy that the SA can set up, but not "ask" for money. Stand there, ring your bell, smile, and answer questions and say thank you.

113649[/snapback]

That's pretty much the way they do it, in my experience.

This story really rubs me the wrong way. Sounds to me like a few idiots made enough noise to stamp out the good people who don't see a problem with the practice. As usual.

The thing is that if they let the SA set up, they legally have to let any group set up. By me, there is a group that says they are for getting kids off drugs, but it looks like drifters sitting there soliciting. Another group looks like nurses or men in white suits-that is a religion.

If the SA gets in , the Hare-Krisha (are they still around?) can set up too.

This means no girl scouts, little league, etc.

The thing is that if they let the SA set up, they legally have to let any group set up. By me, there is a group that says they are for getting kids off drugs, but it looks like drifters  sitting there soliciting. Another group looks like nurses or men in white suits-that is a religion.

If the SA gets in , the Hare-Krisha (are they still around?) can set up too.

This means no girl scouts, little league, etc.

113759[/snapback]

None of what you say is true. They don't have a legal obligation to allow everyone to set up if they allow one to set up.

They can let the KKK set up if they want.

The SA never bugs anyone while ringing the bell. How about all the different organizations standing outside grocery stores and banks, stopping you and begging for contributions. They're 50 times worse.

114003[/snapback]

Couple of months ago T and I were leaving Sam's Club with our stockpile of paper towel, t.p., laundry detergent, et al. There was a Boy Scout group selling stuff, and having been a Boy Scout as a kid, I went over to buy a candy bar or whatever they were selling - supporting a good cause and all that. Turns out they were hawking boxes with 3 microwavable popcorn bags in each box. I explained that neither of us ate popcorn, but put 3 bucks on the table as a donation, and we headed toward the Jeep.

One of the kids chases us down and tells us that the popcorn was $18 per box, and if we were too cheap to buy a box they didn't want or need the $3!!!!

Needless to say, the two times I've seen them sense, I just walk on by ignoring them with my nose in the air. I figure it's better than giving them a :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: .

Fricking brats.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Couple of months ago T and I were leaving Sam's Club with our stockpile of paper towel, t.p., laundry detergent, et al.  There was a Boy Scout group selling stuff, and having been a Boy Scout as a kid, I went over to buy a candy bar or whatever they were selling - supporting a good cause and all that.  Turns out they were hawking boxes with 3 microwavable popcorn bags in each box.  I explained that neither of us ate popcorn, but put 3 bucks on the table as a donation, and we headed toward the Jeep.

One of the kids chases us down and tells us that the popcorn was $18 per box, and if we were too cheap to buy a box they didn't want or need the $3!!!!

Needless to say, the two times I've seen them sense, I just walk on by ignoring them with my nose in the air.  I figure it's better than giving them a  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: .

Fricking brats.

114010[/snapback]

I was an Eagle Scout, and there were always people who were like that, and it reflects our society, really... a few ignoramuses make an organization look bad.