Relationship between Schonert and Trent

A couple articles mentioned that Schonert didn't have a very good relationship with some of the staff and with Trent.

"Besides the results, Schonert rubbed some members of the organization the wrong way by not being as open to their suggestions as they thought he should be, sources within the team said. His connection with quarterback Trent Edwards also was a concern within the team, which also might have been related to Schonert's autocratic style."

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/784899.html

Does anyone have any insight on why their relationship wasn't good?

What a mess!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is: why did we hire him to be the offensive coordinator if he didn't get along with the chosen QB? Did their relationship just deteriorate since before the Detroit game?

I don't think it worked that way....In fact Schonert was one of the key person responsible for drafting Edwards. He was real excited when Edwards was available in the 3rd round. May be Schonert was upset that Edwards repeatedly kept pointing to the coaching staff after those loses.

Schonert did blow up on JP Losman last year after either the SF game or Cleveland game....They had a shouting matchup (One way) on the sidelines.

I don't know what started it all, or the actual events, but all fingers point to some major heat between schonert and various people in the organization, including players. We all know that this team is very talented in spots, and the major piece to the puzzle that's been missing for the past 10 years has been coaching. If this guy turned out to be a bad apple, I think, even with an inexperienced AVP thrown in at the last minute, will be a positive thing. Maybe it translates to a win next monday, maybe not, but getting rid of the bad apple always turns around the group, no matter what the group is (small company, school, classroom, team, etc.)

Now, to the original point, I have no inside knowledge here, so just let me speculate. I'm about 100% sure that things started out perfectly fine for turk and the bills. However, when the going got tough, turk either couldn't handle it or the way he handled it was counter to the internal philosophy of the team (i.e. what really makes them tick as a group, rather than what they project to the media and to us). It probably chipped away till things broke this preseason. Oh well... At least the guys openly trust AVP. That can go a hell of a long way towards a few victories as he weeds out the playbook and gets his feet wet.

I don't know what started it all, or the actual events, but all fingers point to some major heat between schonert and various people in the organization, including players. We all know that this team is very talented in spots, and the major piece to the puzzle that's been missing for the past 10 years has been coaching. If this guy turned out to be a bad apple, I think, even with an inexperienced AVP thrown in at the last minute, will be a positive thing. Maybe it translates to a win next monday, maybe not, but getting rid of the bad apple always turns around the group, no matter what the group is (small company, school, classroom, team, etc.)

Now, to the original point, I have no inside knowledge here, so just let me speculate. I'm about 100% sure that things started out perfectly fine for turk and the bills. However, when the going got tough, turk either couldn't handle it or the way he handled it was counter to the internal philosophy of the team (i.e. what really makes them tick as a group, rather than what they project to the media and to us). It probably chipped away till things broke this preseason. Oh well... At least the guys openly trust AVP. That can go a hell of a long way towards a few victories as he weeds out the playbook and gets his feet wet.

No offensive coordinator has a chance of succeeding if the team's OL is below par. The Bills front office calculated that they could do without Peters and that Walker could handle the switch to the very critical LT spot. Switching Walker to the left side was a mistake. He is not suited to play that position. In addition, the resulting shift of other players on the line didn't help establish any degree of continuity. The line is a mess. Until the line can be solidified no change in the coaching staff or good strategizing can overcome the line's weaknesses.

If there were concerns with respect to Turk they should have been addressed in the offseason. What this coaching departure signifies is that this organization is very dysfunctional and is in a state of chaos and desperation. You can bet your last dollar that the "no huddle" is not going to help this anemic offense. In fact, I believe it is going to make things worst. Gimmicks are rarely the solution to very deep seated problems.

The most interesting question regarding the soap opera dismissal of the OC ten days prior to the season opening game is who ordered it? I suspect the owner was the driving force in this firing. Scapegoats are very easy to find. Solutions to problems are not so easy to come up with. :thumbsup:

No offensive coordinator has a chance of succeeding if the team's OL is below par. The Bills front office calculated that they could do without Peters and that Walker could handle the switch to the very critical LT spot. Switching Walker to the left side was a mistake. He is not suited to play that position. In addition, the resulting shift of other players on the line didn't help establish any degree of continuity. The line is a mess. Until the line can be solidified no change in the coaching staff or good strategizing can overcome the line's weaknesses.

If there were concerns with respect to Turk they should have been addressed in the offseason. What this coaching departure signifies is that this organization is very dysfunctional and is in a state of chaos and desperation. You can bet your last dollar that the "no huddle" is not going to help this anemic offense. In fact, I believe it is going to make things worst. Gimmicks are rarely the solution to very deep seated problems.

The most interesting question regarding the soap opera dismissal of the OC ten days prior to the season opening game is who ordered it? I suspect the owner was the driving force in this firing. Scapegoats are very easy to find. Solutions to problems are not so easy to come up with. <_<

This is what happns when a sub-par head coch is retained after he has already demonstrated tha he is inadequate.

The most interesting question regarding the soap opera dismissal of the OC ten days prior to the season opening game is who ordered it? I suspect the owner was the driving force in this firing. Scapegoats are very easy to find. Solutions to problems are not so easy to come up with. :wallbash:

The Bills had Peters at LT and Walker at RT last year, and the offense still sucked. Good point. <_<

And Schonert got fired not because of Ralph (well, he wasn't the one who out-of-the-blue decided to fire Schonert, but he ultimately made the decision), but because the players couldn't stand him. Evans had a meeting with the other coaches (outside of Schonert) to express his unhappiness and Trent has called Schonert out on many occasions. Nice try injecting a Ralph rant here. :unsure::w00t:

Guest dog14787
The Bills had Peters at LT and Walker at RT last year, and the offense still sucked. Good point. <_<

And Schonert got fired not because of Ralph (well, he wasn't the one who out-of-the-blue decided to fire Schonert, but he ultimately made the decision), but because the players couldn't stand him. Evans had a meeting with the other coaches (outside of Schonert) to express his unhappiness and Trent has called Schonert out on many occasions. Nice try injecting a Ralph rant here. :unsure::w00t:

The only thing good about the offense last year is towards the end of the season we were finally getting some results in the run game and the pass protection had improved greatly so I'm not sure what you are referring to because the problem last season wasn't the O-line, but it damn sure is now thanks to our bumbling FO :wallbash:

No O-line protection, no T.O. and no game planning in the preseason, and Turk Shonert takes the fall for the whole organizations dysfunctional ways, good grief, we need a GM : (

The only thing good about the offense last year is towards the end of the season we were finally getting some results in the run game and the pass protection had improved greatly so I'm not sure what you are referring to because the problem last season wasn't the O-line, but it damn sure is now thanks to our bumbling FO <_<

LOL! The offense stunk all season long. The Bills scored a total of 6 points in 3 of the last 5 games of the season, exploding twice for 27 points against the Jets and 30 against the Broncos', who both had scoring defenses in the bottom half of the league.

No O-line protection, no T.O. and no game planning in the preseason, and Turk Shonert takes the fall for the whole organizations dysfunctional ways, good grief, we need a GM : (

Because Schonert was a good OC who was held back by everyone else?

Guest dog14787
LOL! The offense stunk all season long. The Bills scored a total of 6 points in 3 of the last 5 games of the season, exploding twice for 27 points against the Jets and 30 against the Broncos', who both had scoring defenses in the bottom half of the league.

Because Schonert was a good OC who was held back by everyone else?

Protection was adequate last season and towards the end of the season we even started running the ball more effectively, the offensive woes had very little to do with the O-line in my opinion. Releasing Dockery and losing Peters(our two best lineman) was the stupidest thing we could have done, but we did it anyway. <_<

Protection was adequate last season and towards the end of the season we even started running the ball more effectively, the offensive woes had very little to do with the O-line in my opinion. Releasing Dockery and losing Peters(our two best lineman) was the stupidest thing we could have done, but we did it anyway. <_<

:unsure: I don't think I need to say anything further on this subject.

After on the preseason debacles Trent said he played the way he was coached. I believe that he was referring to the check downs and not throwing the ball downfield. I think he stated it twice that he was supposed to play per the coach's plan. Maybe AVP will allow TE to toss it downfield even if Lee & TO are covered and let them go get it. Obviously he did not (could not?) do that with Turk there. I wonder if TE's comment after that game got DJ thinking that he may have an OC problem.

All I can say is: why did we hire him to be the offensive coordinator if he didn't get along with the chosen QB? Did their relationship just deteriorate since before the Detroit game?

I wasn't thinking about their relationship three days ago. I wasn't thinking about it two weeks ago. But when you start thinking about it, I think you need to move on it and do something. When I started thinking about it I gave it a good deal of thought and did it.

Guest dog14787
I'm not sure how much stock one should put in players' comments on Van Pelt. They could've hired Bozo the Clown as the OC and the players would universally say, "I think it is a good move." The players always do -- unless they are crazy desperate to lose their job.

Its the only way to salvage the season at this point and I would imagine the players realize as much.

I wasn't thinking about their relationship three days ago. I wasn't thinking about it two weeks ago. But when you start thinking about it, I think you need to move on it and do something. When I started thinking about it I gave it a good deal of thought and did it.

Fantastic avatar and title, by the way.

I don't think it worked that way....In fact Schonert was one of the key person responsible for drafting Edwards. He was real excited when Edwards was available in the 3rd round. May be Schonert was upset that Edwards repeatedly kept pointing to the coaching staff after those loses.

over the last preseason games yes, but none last year, trent NEVER blamed the coaches last year.

get that straight, he just got tired of gettin' criticized this year for a lackluster playcalling O which even he said was confusing and that they never practiced against a 3-4, I mean come on! Who wouldnt'?

I don't get why people are so irked at these comments. Maybe I can see how it showed Jauron wasn't in sync with the relationship between Schonert & the players, but maybe the combination of losing the players and the bad offense is what pushed Jauron over the edge. The horrid showing against Detroit was probably the last straw.