Relationship between Schonert and Trent

I don't know the dynamics between Trent and Turk, but I do know, Turk was well liked by many of the Bills support staff (ie: front office folks, not necessarily other coaches)... I will say, I liked the pick of Schoenert as OC at the time, even though I thought it was an odd choice in some ways. It was good, I thought, because Turk has been around for years, worked in a lot of different systems, with many different QB's, I figured, given his shot, he would go balls to the walls...

Conversely, I think, is why it didn't work. If you have never heard Turk speak, his "style"/personality is very fiery, and seems, in no way, to be in keeping with the low-key, bland approach that the head coach seems to prefer. It kind of goes along with what Turk said after his firing. Turk seems much more agressive than Jauron. Kind of like Chuck Dickerson (not as dim-witted though) was in the Marv Levy HC days... so much for the smart guys righting the Titanic... Marv is looking more and more like a disaster as GM, Jauron may be the worst coach this team has had in the last 30 years, with the exception of Hank Bullough, Turk couldn't get the offense fixed, and the verdict is still very much out on our QB...lets get some friggin' football people in Buffalo...

In my mind, Jauron is without question a better coach than Gregg "no fat guys" Williams.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you guys are freaking out over this move of Jauron firing Schonert, I went nuts when I heard the news. This is the best thing Jauron has done in his 4 years IMO.

JP Losman had a really good end of 06 and many predicted a break out year for him in 07, now Turk Schonert became his QB coach in 06 and took over as offensive coordinator after Steve Fairchild left at the end of 07. Instead of progressing JP badly regressed in 07-08 to looking absolutely horrid at the end of 08.

Most players usually improve with good coaching, so this chain of events the last few years leads me to believe the coaching has been lacking, even worse the players regressed badly, first JP and now Edwards.

AVP may not be the best guy for the job, but it seems like he will fill the job and do better then Schonert. He has some play calling experience as he called plays in NFL Europe. Plus his ego can't be anywhere near as bad as Schonert's was.

Before we start running around saying the sky is falling, give AVP a chance to see what happens on Monday night. He can't do any worse then what Schonert did in the preseason, and if he does I'm certain he won't keep the job long.