Expect 5 wide formation on Sunday night

Coach Tuesday

I fully expect the Pats coming out with 5wrs, not even trying to run for most of the first half. They'll try to test the Bills' young corners, and try to get an early lead so that they can blitz Bledsoe. It'll be one of those games where the Pats run like 18 straight pass plays. The Bills HAVE to come out strong out of the gate and make sure they don't give up 2 quick TDs in the first quarter (like the last two Foxboro games have been like).

Just my theory.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully expect the Pats coming out with 5wrs, not even trying to run for most of the first half.  They'll try to test the Bills' young corners, and try to get an early lead so that they can blitz Bledsoe.  It'll be one of those games where the Pats run like 18 straight pass plays.  The Bills HAVE to come out strong out of the gate and make sure they don't give up 2 quick TDs in the first quarter (like the last two Foxboro games have been like). 

Just my theory.

112702[/snapback]

Yeah, I see them coming out like they did against Indy on opening night. No RB and the hurry up offense. I hope we win the toss and receive so we can keep the pace down by running McGahee constantly. A nice long drawn out drive to start the game would be great.

Yeah, I see them coming out like they did against Indy on opening night.  No RB and the hurry up offense.  I hope we win the toss and receive so we can keep the pace down by running McGahee constantly.  A nice long drawn out drive to start the game would be great.

112705[/snapback]

Of course a nice deep strike to Evans on the first play would be great also! :P

I think they're going to try that formation as well, and it sucks because they're quite good at executing within that personell grouping. The only way to get them out of that formation would be to get upfield in a hurry with our DT's and/or any other middle pressure from blitzing. Also, dropping an occasional D-lineman into the passing lane, while substitute rushing a LB works well too.

Of course a nice deep strike to Evans on the first play would be great also! :doh:

112706[/snapback]

I was thinking a deep strike to Evans on the 2nd play. What fun it would be on the first play to come out in the Jumbo package w/ Evans out wide and just run up the middle and let the OL really tee off on some guys. The feeling would be "Here we go - they're just going to try to stuff in down our throats" - then go no huddle in exact same formation on 2nd down but this time play action and air it out.

NE injury report

OUT: Law, Poole; QUESTIONABLE: Branch, Chatham; PROBABLE: Samuel, Izzo, Brady, Miller.

112741[/snapback]

I'm not sure what your point is, but that reminds me - I was thinking the Bills should go no-huddle on O. I know the gameplan is to control the clock, etc. etc., however I think we should take advantage of THEIR young corners, not allow their D to huddle up, and let Drew get in a rhythm to take the crowd out of it.

I fully expect the Pats coming out with 5wrs, not even trying to run for most of the first half.  They'll try to test the Bills' young corners, and try to get an early lead so that they can blitz Bledsoe.  It'll be one of those games where the Pats run like 18 straight pass plays.  The Bills HAVE to come out strong out of the gate and make sure they don't give up 2 quick TDs in the first quarter (like the last two Foxboro games have been like). 

Just my theory.

112702[/snapback]

Let'em go 5 wide. Just line up and play them tight, and smash'em in the damn mouth inside of 5 yards. The Bills have absolutely nothing to lose in this game. Come out VERY aggressive on D. No soft coverage, Blitz the crap out of Marcia. They WILL win this game.

Let'em go 5 wide.  Just line up and play them tight, and smash'em in the damn mouth inside of 5 yards.  The Bills have absolutely nothing to lose in this game.  Come out VERY aggressive on D.  No soft coverage, Blitz the crap out of Marcia.  They WILL win this game.

112775[/snapback]

Agreed. If they go five wide, play the same defense the Bills played in the 1993 Comeback game in the second half, use linebackers to knock down receivers at the line of scrimmage.

Let'em go 5 wide.  Just line up and play them tight, and smash'em in the damn mouth inside of 5 yards.  The Bills have absolutely nothing to lose in this game.  Come out VERY aggressive on D.  No soft coverage, Blitz the crap out of Marcia.  They WILL win this game.

112775[/snapback]

No. No. and No.

Conservative Defence is absolutely the key against the Pats. Force them to use the run. Force them to only take the very short 2/3 yard passing gains. Blitzing lots only helps the Pats as we have fewer people in coverage against their talented recievers. I'm including their FBs and LBs in this as well (bloody Vrabl). Also - Marcia is good at reading blitz and getting rid of the ball for a short gain.

What we need to do is use a good mix of man2man and zone (a lot of cover 3) to contain the passing game and force Marcia to hold on to it. Then we let our DL (with the 2nd highest sacker in Schobel) force a banged up Pats OL to miss blocks, drop blocks and crumble in on Brady. I want no less than 4 sacks in this game - and at least 3 comlimentary sacks - these will 90% come as coverage sacks if we play it right.

If we do that and have Dillon come in, I am happy that our D can dominate the Pats running game.

Then it's all down to the O.

I was thinking a deep strike to Evans on the 2nd play.  What fun it would be on the first play to come out in the Jumbo package w/ Evans out wide and just run up the middle and let the OL really tee off on some guys.  The feeling would be "Here we go - they're just going to try to stuff in down our throats" -  then go no huddle in exact same formation on 2nd down but this time play action and air it out.

112740[/snapback]

I was thinking a McGee KR for a TD.... :doh:

CW

No. No. and No.

Conservative Defence is absolutely the key against the Pats. Force them to use the run. Force them to only take the very short 2/3 yard passing gains. Blitzing lots only helps the Pats as we have fewer people in coverage against their talented recievers. I'm including their FBs and LBs in this as well (bloody Vrabl). Also - Marcia is good at reading blitz and getting rid of the ball for a short gain.

What we need to do is use a good mix of man2man and zone (a lot of cover 3) to contain the passing game and force Marcia to hold on to it. Then we let our DL (with the 2nd highest sacker in Schobel) force a banged up Pats OL to miss blocks, drop blocks and crumble in on Brady. I want no less than 4 sacks in this game - and at least 3 comlimentary sacks - these will 90% come as coverage sacks if we play it right.

If we do that and have Dillon come in, I am happy that our D can dominate the Pats running game.

112794[/snapback]

No. No. and No.

112794[/snapback]

I don't agree Nick. Everyone plays them soft and let's them dictate the game. Pitt had sucess bringing it to them. What the hell do we have to lose? Send a message.

I'm not sure what your point is, but that reminds me - I was thinking the Bills should go no-huddle on O.  I know the gameplan is to control the clock, etc. etc., however I think we should take advantage of THEIR young corners, not allow their D to huddle up, and let Drew get in a rhythm to take the crowd out of it.

112750[/snapback]

I think this has something to do with the post: Questionable: Branch

Since Branch went out, Tom Brady has had some pretty poor numbers.

These are stats from the first game the Patriots played against the Colts as mentioned earlier.

WR: Deion Branch (7-86 receiving on 9 targets, 1 TD)

Branch was clearly the go-to player in the passing attack.

We brought the house all day last time and still didn't get to Brady. No matter what formations they come out in the Bills D has to find a way to at least disrupt Brady. I don't see it happening though. The lack of a consistent pash rush remains the achilles heel of this otherwise very good defense.

We brought the house all day last time and still didn't get to Brady.  No matter what formations they come out in the Bills D has to find a way to at least disrupt Brady.  I don't see it happening though.  The lack of a consistent pash rush remains the achilles heel of this otherwise very good defense.

112994[/snapback]

We have the 5th leading sacker in the AFC. :doh: Thats a decent pass rush right there.