O-Line, Edwards not as bad as it looked

"I actually feel better about Edwards now than I did before. No, I'm not saying that I'm on the currently empty Edwards bandwagon. I am, however, saying that he did try to get the ball down the field on a couple of occasions; in both cases he was thwarted by poor blocking (Butler and Rhodes). The ugly INT returned for a TD may not be as clear cut as we had thought given that Reed slowed down on his route. Edwards threw to where he thought Reed would be since Reed was running full speed when the ball was thrown. It could have been miscommunication (Reed thinking the ball wasn't coming to him or that he should slow down and find a hole in the zone) or it could have been that Reed didn't feel like getting whacked by 51 the moment his hands touched the ball. (We've seen Reed cower-in Jacksonville--before when the reception would have been meaningless and the hit vicious.)"

What does he know? who care's that he broke down every single individual players performance on every single offensive play. I don't think he was paying attention B-)

Here's the problem we have as Bills fans. We all love this team and we all want them to succeed. It causes severe anxiety and emotional distress. We also only know what we see on the field or what we read/hear in the media. When the team plays poorly, as they did against Pittsburgh, we all go Henny Penny because we've seen this act before.

BUT....we only know what we see. We don't know who missed what assignment or what the hot read was on any particular play. It's entirely possible that based on a pre-snap read that Josh Reed was supposed to sit on the route and Trent threw the ball exactly where he was supposed to. Similarly, we don't know if it wasn't Trent that screwed up the initial read or even the play in his head.

My hope (prayer) is that they sort this out before we play the Patriots. If not, they're going to get B word slapped on national TV and it'll be a loooooooong season.

one issue with blaming the INT on reed. my thought on it is that reed saw that farrior was lurking in front of him and there's no way that edwards is going to attempt that pass

That is the problem. No one can say "well maybe it was Reed's fault because he wasn't supposed to stop" or whatever. The problem is that whatever miscommunication occured, Trent still threw the ball into TIGHT double coverage. The throw should have never been made, regardless of if Reed kept going or not.

Guest dog14787
The line's pass protection was outstanding. I went back and looked at every play. The RB's messed up a lot. Any time there was pressure, it was coming from a RB getting owned, nothing with the o-line.

B-)

Here's the problem we have as Bills fans. We all love this team and we all want them to succeed. It causes severe anxiety and emotional distress. We also only know what we see on the field or what we read/hear in the media. When the team plays poorly, as they did against Pittsburgh, we all go Henny Penny because we've seen this act before.

BUT....we only know what we see. We don't know who missed what assignment or what the hot read was on any particular play. It's entirely possible that based on a pre-snap read that Josh Reed was supposed to sit on the route and Trent threw the ball exactly where he was supposed to. Similarly, we don't know if it wasn't Trent that screwed up the initial read or even the play in his head.

My hope (prayer) is that they sort this out before we play the Patriots. If not, they're going to get B word slapped on national TV and it'll be a loooooooong season.

I agree with you Mike. IMO, the starters should have pplayed more in the first 2 pre-season games and I hope they play the first half against the Lions this Thursday. If the starters can put together at least a couple of good scoring drives (meanings TD's), maybe that will give them the confidence they need. I still worry about the coaches and their boneheaded calls, IMO that's our weakest link on the team.

one issue with blaming the INT on reed. my thought on it is that reed saw that farrior was lurking in front of him and there's no way that edwards is going to attempt that pass

Reed has a responsibility to go fight for the ball regardless of where it's thrown of how hard he's going to get hit. If he can't live up to that responsibility then he doesn't belong on the team.

Reed has a responsibility to go fight for the ball regardless of where it's thrown of how hard he's going to get hit. If he can't live up to that responsibility then he doesn't belong on the team.

For sure, during the regular season.

If it's pre season and you know your going to get crushed, then maybe it's not a bad idea to just let it go.

For sure, during the regular season.

If it's pre season and you know your going to get crushed, then maybe it's not a bad idea to just let it go.

I agree with you. Here's the problem though. If you do that stuff in the pre-season there's a chance it will care over to the regular season. For example, go back and look at Hines Ward on the TD pass attempt in the endzone. I believe he was being double covered and he completely lays out.

okay, just put me in the minority if it doesn't chafe my ass that reed didn't get himself killed trying to catch a 4 yard poorly thrown pass that should never have been thrown in a meaningless game.

The line's pass protection was outstanding. I went back and looked at every play. The RB's messed up a lot. Any time there was pressure, it was coming from a RB getting owned, nothing with the o-line.

I'm not sure which was more outstanding. Wood getting blown back into Edwards by Hampton, or Hangartner getting blown back into Edwards by Hampton. Or perhaps Butler getting blown back into Edwards by Harrison.

Of course, it doesnt help when Edwards is sailing every pass over the heads of his WRs, or throwing it right into awaiting defenders hands. I guess i should give Edwards some credit however. He DID attempt to complete multiple passes to WRs and didnt just settle for 15 checkdowns.

I found that somewhat encouraging. It sounds like Walker did fairly well, aside from a couple of breakdowns. Levitre and Wood still sound a little susceptible to the bull rush, but otherwise did reasonably well. And perhaps most encouraging is that Nelson played quite a bit with the starters, and from what this guy said, did a pretty decent job blocking.

My impression is that Hangartner needs to get a little better, and Butler needs more time adjusting. If this team can keep its head above water the first half of the season, I think they could jell into a pretty good line by the second half.

As long as our frigging running backs can figure out how to pick up a blitz.

I still worry about the coaches and their boneheaded calls, IMO that's our weakest link on the team.

Me too. But I'm resigned to the fact that this will not change. We have 3 years of history of bone headed calls to look back on. It's one thing DJ consistently does.

Going through that writeup also makes it easier to consider who the HBs and TEs were asked to block...LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison and James Farrior. Not exactly slouches.

I guess a downside to running the no huddle may also be that we can't sub a guy like MacIntyre into the game when we need him.