Is McIntyre a "luxury" the Bills can't afford

Beerball

With depth concerns? Doesn't that mean McIntyre makes it? You make it sound like he's a one trick pony that is a luxury, when in fact, it's the opposite. If the Bills have depth concerns, shouldn't they keep a guy that can fill 3 positions with 1 roster spot? McIntyre is the only true FB, can play RB, and is a beast on special teams. Seems like a win for me.

With depth concerns? Doesn't that mean McIntyre makes it? You make it sound like he's a one trick pony that is a luxury, when in fact, it's the opposite. If the Bills have depth concerns, shouldn't they keep a guy that can fill 3 positions with 1 roster spot? McIntyre is the only true FB, can play RB, and is a beast on special teams. Seems like a win for me.

sorry...meant depth concerns in other areas, not fb/rb.

We don't know how either line is going to do and we've got some young (possibly) talented players who may need that last slot to make the cut.

We don't know how either line is going to do and we've got some young (possibly) talented players who may need that last slot to make the cut.

That's what I mean. If McIntyre fills 3 spots, doesn't that allow you to keep some guys at other areas?

I disagree I say keep McIntyre and put Hardy on IR, as this point he'd serve as nothing more then a 4th WR or instead of keeping 6 CBs you keep 5. As McIntryre is our only FB and a half way decent special teamer.

With depth concerns in some areas & strength in numbers in others is there any way that McIntyre makes the final cut?

If DJ keeps Kelsay and Shhouman, as we all know in our heart of hearts he will do, then Mcityre likely loses out.

That's what I mean. If McIntyre fills 3 spots, doesn't that allow you to keep some guys at other areas?

If we need him at RB we're in some serious trouble that he can't help with. For blocking a TE can do the trick though we run so little two back (recent history).

It really depends on what the overall Bills O strategy is and with that last stinker of a starting O performance, with the failure of the starting O to establish an effective O scoring game, with TOs injury, the wildcard of Lynch being suspended to start the season, and Schonert having marginal success running a smashmouth O and the Bills now being built (sort of with this young OL) to be an attacking passing game, ya got me as to what the O strategy is going to be.

My sense is that the Bills ought to throw caution to the winds, make 3 WRs their base O and in that case I would probably cut McIntyre as I am going to go with 1 RB a lot. The other effect of this would be that you do need to employ the fullhouse backfield some of the time in short yardage and goaline situations.

However, my answer to this would be to go with more of an H-back approach and my TEs would need to have the flexibility to play FB when needed.

I do not see the Bills doing this as a way to deal with going with no FB, so my since is that McIntyre stays, though overall this strikes me as a bad idea. McIntyre has some skills but is not great at any one facet of the game. If he is the sole FB we are dependent on him not getting hurt or nicked badly in this season which is too much of a hope to bank on.

My guess is we keep him for special needs but in doing so sacrifice some depth and also hold a chunk of our playbook hostage to his health and play quality. If true this is not a smart approach.

I like it if he is cut as it really commits us to throw the ball deep, but depend on the speed of our WRs and not a likely fatal reliance on the blitz pick-up to throw deep.

I would agree especially if he shows more short yardage capability as he did against Chicago. While it is hard to judge given the fact he wasn't playing against 1st string he looked pretty effective at RB in that game.

I think he stays. Using the TE as a blocking back has not worked in the past for us. Everytime I see the TE in the backfield it's a running play, just to easy for a defense to read. We need somebody to pick up the short yardage and Corey shows some smash mouth potential that Lynch and Jackson don't. We need an extra blocker to pick the pass rusher to keep Edwards clean.