Folks, it's PRESEASON

I know this has been said before, but I think it bears repeating:

PRESEASON PERFORMANCE HAS ALMOST ZERO CORRELATION TO REGULAR SEASON PERFORMANCE.

There are many reasons this is true, and they have been discussed at length already. Some teams run vanilla schemes, don't gameplan, experiment with personnel groupings, and care more about evaluating and staying healthy than winning.

Just as often as a team like the Steelers goes 5-0 in the preseason and then wins the Super Bowl, as I believe was the case last year, another team will turn in a 1-3 preseason and then make a deep playoff run. And the reverse is true; often teams with the best preseason records have the worst regular season records.

And it's not just about wins and losses in the preseason. Even when starting unites look dreadful in preseason games, there is almost zero evidence that shows that is what they will look like in the regular season. And we all know about pre-season gems who flop when the games really count.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned about this year's Bills team. I am simply saying the source of our concern should be the last three year's 7-9 records, not some poor performances in a couple pre-season games this year.

In short, withhold your doomsday predictions at least until halftime on Sept 14!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to worry, if the Bills play well this weekend, most will be hyping all over again.

Very big 'if' in my view.

When was the last time the Bills looked good on the road against a top team? Pre-season included.

This board has become incredibly negative its not even fun to read anymore

When the team gives them something to be positive about, then things will change. 2-8 over their last 10 games and an 0-3 start to the pre-season where the starters and the Chosen One Trent Edwards haven't scored an offensive touchdown yet (just think about the futility of that for just one moment...) and you'll see why nobody hear is farting rainbows and p*ssing sunshine.

True that the sky is not falling.

We still have an inept starting offense that has not scored a TD. We have a now "veteran" QB that can't figure out the 3-4. We have the same coaching staff that took a 5-1 team to a final record of 7-9. Should I add a front office that did nothing (until this year when they hope starting two rookies and completely changing up the tackles is the solution) about the interior of an offensive line that featured as its starting center a guy who gets cut in the early preseason. Not to mention a FO that last year rested its hopes on an injury prone QB backed up by a guy that could not even get an offer to back up anyone in the NFL.

Yep its time to be happy with the situation in Buffalo. Let's hope this brilliant organization has in place the secret sauce to making the playoffs.

I am happy to be proven wrong. However, I smell another embarassment coming on national TV on a Monday night in the not too distant future. Think about it - Bellicheat* and his Cheatriots* have owned Jauron for years. Do you really see signs of change based on what has occurred so far this preseason?

I am happy to be proven wrong. However, I smell another embarassment coming on national TV on a Monday night in the not too distant future. Think about it - Bellicheat* and his Cheatriots* have owned Jauron for years. Do you really see signs of change based on what has occurred so far this preseason?

A weatherman might put it this way, "There is a strong chance of a blowout today."