Who Do You Want?

Someone the Bills might actually be able to afford, that is IF they can talk him out of retirement.

The opposite of tricky dick, Martyball

Marty Schottenhiemer is an extreame motivator,his last job he was fired after taking that PoS losing Charger team that Eli manning refused to play for to 14-2.

Plus the guy knows what coaches to hire, he had Wade Phillips as his DC and Cam Cameron as his OC.

I'll take 14-2 over 7-9 any day :huh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you have against Cowher. But to call the guy overated is hilarious. You cant be serious, are you?

He is a former LB - -a free agent who, I think, was undrafted and made the Eagles. He got a coaching job from Marty Schottenheimer at 28 years old! He is just what the Bills need, a rugged, no nonsense hard nosed disipline first guy. He knows talent and made Donahoe leave Pitt -- after TD lost a power struggle with Cowher. That was the only reason Wilson had a chance to sign TD adn fire John Butler. Cowher's drafts (with GM help) are legend. Look at the talent he, in part, incorporated and fostered during his time. His O and D lines demonstrate the PURE piss and vinagar he expounds and is infused with.

Under Cowher, the Steelers showed an immediate improvement from the disappointing 7-9 season the year before, going 11-5 and earning home field advantage in the AFC after the Steelers had missed the playoffs six times out of the previous seven years. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, joining Pro Football Hall of Fame member Paul Brown.

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. The Pittsburgh Steelers had the best record of any team in the National Football League since Cowher was hired as head coach.

Cowher is sound. Skilled in coordination and the head job. He is innovative and he gets players to react to emotion and passion. He would counter Bill Belacheat quite nicely.

Cowher's record as a head coach is 149-90-1 (161-99-1 including playoff games).

Cowher has half as many wins as the all-time greatest coach Don Shula.

Dick Lebeau is a great coordinator -- and was an amazing player in his day. He had good defenses in Cincy and Blfo (it was so-so). He worked for Cowher. Cowher was Dick's boss. That is all you need to know about that.

Cowher is a pipe dream to come ot Buffalo. But you never know...

The defenses in Pittsburgh were not his, they were and are Dick LeBeau's. And when LeBeau wasn't around the Stillers were a shell of themselves.

He's also never drafted a single player for Pittsburgh as the Rooney's knew better than to give him any kind of control like that. That roster was created primarily by the Rooneys, Donahoe and Kevin Colbert.

How is he overrated?

Ummmmm he had arguably the best talent in the entire NFL for 15 years, was guaranteed a playoff spot in that crappy division every year, was frequently surrounded by outstanding co-ordinators and yet managed to do horrid work on Sundays and continually gag up opportunities by getting his ass kicked by inferior talent on his home field in both the regular season and the playoffs.

After pissing away all that talent for so long, the Rooneys finally brought LeBeau back. And that's who won that Super Bowl for him. Then it took less than a season for a rookie HC to become a smarter, better coach than Cowher will ever be.

You guys want to give this idiot 5 million/year because he spits on people and talks on TV, when the truth of the matter is that he's the kind of guy who can lose with his'ns and your'ns. The Stiller fans saw first hand what a clown he was and they don't want him back. Why the heck would you?

The most over-rated coach in the modern history of this league.

If he doesn't go on the first ballot, somebody needs kicked in the jimmy.

DJ is a teacher. This core of players is being taught this season. 8-8 this season and then a winner comes to Buffalo. Here are the choices:

Shannahan: Would install a west coast offense using TEs and a great running game (one cut to north south). Would score points and scare Miami and the Pats.

Cowher: Would be an aggressive blitzing defense. The offensive line would be physical and dominate. Good special teams, just a hard team that would be in every game and win about 9 -11 games per season.

Holmgren: West coast offense. Would want to GM as well. Would have a boring style of play -- but he was good in a small town before --- see GREEN BAY.

Gruden: West coast offense. Would be a drill sargent. Knows good players and would install a very good ground game. He was great with the Raiders where he made Ty Wheatley an all pro overnight.

Dungy: Chill guy who asks for maturity on the team. Would instill a winning attitude. It helped that he had Peyton Manning. I don't think Dungy is any better/worse than Herm Edwards -- who stunk as a pro coach.

Buffalo will get one of these guys next season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH You actually think that one of these men will want to coach the Bills AND Ralph will be willing to pay what it will cost for one of these men. Have you not been paying attention.

Cump Sherman took Stone mOUNtain GA is three days in 1864. No one thought he could do it. THese coaches could come to blfo. Anything can happen my southern friend...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH You actually think that one of these men will want to coach the Bills AND Ralph will be willing to pay what it will cost for one of these men. Have you not been paying attention.

If I were going to waste my time thinking about something that was never going to happen, I would definitely fantasize about hooking up with Jennifer Anniston before spending any time thinking about which big-name coach the Bills will never hire as long Ralphie is breathing.

Best option Gruden - Chuckie would be idolized in Buffalo. He would need to bring in a capable defensive coordinator.

I am inclined to agree with this -but there were a lot of reports our of Tampa Bay after he was fired that a good number of players were really happy to see him go. Not just players that didn't like him because he was tough on them but good vet players that just thought he was a dumbass.

I do think he would be a good coach for the players in Buffalo - and I think the fans would love the guy.

Cowher or Marty S.

agreed, Cowher is the dream, Marty is the more likely, yet still isnt going to happen, choice.

unfortunately, when we're done with Dick, we're going to get just another Coordinator-turned-Coach who will flounder for a few years and then be let go to start ANOTHER rebuilding cycle, and over, and over.

until this team brings in a "real" head coach, this will be all we get.

Cump Sherman took Stone mOUNtain GA is three days in 1864. No one thought he could do it. THese coaches could come to blfo. Anything can happen my southern friend...

Hey I would love to have a guy like Gruden but after growing up a Bills fan and watching the way they do business over there at 1 Bills Drive I would bet my life on one of two kinds of coaches.

Either a middle of the road retred like Jim Fassel or one of the young coordinators (but not the best one available because he may have other suiters).

If I was a betting man I would prepare myself for another coordinator who has never been a head coach.

Hey I would love to have a guy like Gruden but after growing up a Bills fan and watching the way they do business over there at 1 Bills Drive I would bet my life on one of two kinds of coaches.

Either a middle of the road retred like Jim Fassel or one of the young coordinators (but not the best one available because he may have other suiters).

If I was a betting man I would prepare myself for another coordinator who has never been a head coach.

Now were talking, package deal, Jim Fassel and his QB, J.P.

DJ is a teacher. This core of players is being taught this season. 8-8 this season and then a winner comes to Buffalo. Here are the choices:

Shannahan: Would install a west coast offense using TEs and a great running game (one cut to north south). Would score points and scare Miami and the Pats.

Cowher: Would be an aggressive blitzing defense. The offensive line would be physical and dominate. Good special teams, just a hard team that would be in every game and win about 9 -11 games per season.

Holmgren: West coast offense. Would want to GM as well. Would have a boring style of play -- but he was good in a small town before --- see GREEN BAY.

Gruden: West coast offense. Would be a drill sargent. Knows good players and would install a very good ground game. He was great with the Raiders where he made Ty Wheatley an all pro overnight.

Dungy: Chill guy who asks for maturity on the team. Would instill a winning attitude. It helped that he had Peyton Manning. I don't think Dungy is any better/worse than Herm Edwards -- who stunk as a pro coach.

i want marty schottenheimer

My vote would be Marty Schottenheimer. He is a blue-collar kind of coach that's had some bad breaks with good teams. I think he'd fit the city of Buffalo, the organization, and be embraced by the fans. He also would be the "no nonsense" kind of coach that we need.

Turner Gill...

a) He's already in town.

b) Look what he did with the worst college football team in the country.

I know, I'm a big UB booster, but seriously this guy can coach. He's been an NFL assistant before at Green Bay. And he would add another black head coach to the NFL, and Buffalo's first.

PTR

Del Rio is the coach in Jacksonville, not Carolina

Dungy caoched two of the most talented teams in the league (Tampa and Indy) and only won one Super Bowl and needed to play a gift team like Chicago to get the one he did....can you imagine if the Bills got to play a team like the Bears or the two teams the Steelers recently played in the Super Bowl during their Super Bowl years?

OOPS--Fox. Sorry, was drinking when I typed that!

Of course I agree re: Dungy.

If I were going to waste my time thinking about something that was never going to happen, I would definitely fantasize about hooking up with Jennifer Anniston before spending any time thinking about which big-name coach the Bills will never hire as long Ralphie is breathing.

Jennifer Aniston is hot

You must be joking right? Why would Ralph hire one of those high profile expensive ex-coaches, when he would not even eat DJ's last year on his extremely reasonable salary when everyone in the football universe thought DJ should have been fired? Also, there is already talk of play stoppages with lock outs for the 2011 season, and I cannot imagine Wilson being lockied into any huge coaches salaries during prolonged weeks of no games being played.