Jim Kelly sees win-or-else season for Bills

BillsWatch

:worthy: Totally agree, Kelly and Thurman both validate what most have been saying for a long time. Poor play calling, too many checkdowns for two yards, run blocking, no pass rush, corners playing off too far, and some good talent with bad coaching, etc. etc........

Ya think? :thumbsup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion, that what this team needs the owner won't be able to fulfill.

They need to hire a Cowher or Shanahan and give him the keys to the kingdom. Or a real football guy and have him drive the football operations. I am continuously stunned as to how badly this team sucks and yet the owner thinks the FO is doing a "good job" and "we just don't have any talent." Hello? This team has talent it just isn't being utilized well.

Put them in pads this week for starters and practice playing against the 3-4 look until the season opener. For starters...

C

Problem is...Donahoe was given the keys to the kingdom and was considered a "real football guy". He simply lost a power struggle with Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh. It's very unlikely to me that Ralph would be willing to do this again.

"It might take a little time. Unfortunately for the Buffalo Bills and that coaching staff, they don't have time," Kelly said Thursday morning on Buffalo radio station WGR. "They've got to win and they've got to win now. I know the pressure's on because if they don't win now they're all going to find themselves looking for a job next year."

My interpetation : Jim Kelly will either be either be the coach next year, or involved in the front office with deciding who stays/goes on the coaching staff.

Sweet Jesus-----no!!

Spend $ on a proven head coach. Their out there!

Let's face it, the Bills aren't making long term plans because the owner is nearly 91. The stadium lease is up after 2012, the front office is eerily the same as it was when TD was around, and the HC couldn't get fired despite going 2-8 to finish 2008.

What this team needs is something akin to what Arthur Blank, then owner Wayne Huizenga, and Clark Hunt have done with Atlanta, Miami, and KC respectively. They blew up the franchise, from GM on down and went into total rebuild mode. Except a funny thing happened to the first two teams last season. They hired competent front office people in Tom Dimitroff and Bill Parcells who brought a new attitude to the team in the wake of repeated failures. TD may have failed, but that's no cause to avoid allowing football people to make football decisions.

Problem is...Donahoe was given the keys to the kingdom and was considered a "real football guy". He simply lost a power struggle with Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh. It's very unlikely to me that Ralph would be willing to do this again.

Exactly. Donahoe signing was considered a major coop signing by most in media and industry. Sometimes what works in one place does not work in another. See how quickly Polin went out of favor in Carolina. Many fans in Seattle consider Mike Holmgren a failure. Jon Gruden is a real football guy who brought his team a Superbowl trophy using Dungy's team and knowledge of former team but fell out of favor. Brian Billick was an "offensive genius" who could not do anything offense wise for Ravens despite multiple shufflings.

Sometimes it chemistry is everything despite a real football family tree. I still would not mind Ron Wolf and Bill Cowher in Buffalo but there is no guarantee even that combination would bring success.

:huh: Totally agree, Kelly and Thurman both validate what most have been saying for a long time. Poor play calling, too many checkdowns for two yards, run blocking, no pass rush, corners playing off too far, and some good talent with bad coaching, etc. etc........

It's definitely in the coaching. The team think in terms of not making mistakes....instead of making plays. It's conservatism all the way. The players need to understand that in order to win games they need to take chances, and give people opportunities to make plays. 10 for 10 passing may look good on paper, but it doesn't mean jack sh!* if you don't score. On D they play 10 yards off b/c they don't want to make mistakes. Attacking O's and attacking D's are what make the great teams great. This team still isn't predicated on attacking.

And just who was it who selected Fewell and Schonert in the first place?

One of the single most important responsibilities of a head coach is to choose good coordinators and assistant coaches.

Great call! It starts at the top w the persona of the HC and everything else comes from that... DJ is a re-tread, never-won, high character guy that our beloved owner has a propensity for gravitating to unfortunately.

Fewell and Schonert would not have jobs anywhere else. (Maybe Detroit)

I was wondering what Titans fans were saying after they got beat down by Dallas...

"Was it a good thing that I wasn't able to see the game?"

"Yes our O was embarrassing ... to say the least."

"Vanilla offense or not, I would still like to see the OLine blocking people. Both our Lines have been disappointing so far."

what? really? aren't good teams supposed to always look good?

And just who was it who selected Fewell and Schonert in the first place?

One of the single most important responsibilities of a head coach is to choose good coordinators and assistant coaches.

That's a good question. To which I do not have a good answer. One thing is for sure, the coaching staff is a mess and the front office doesn't seem in any hurry to make any changes.

Want a coach that loses with aplomb, we got our man. Other than that, he's worthless.

He certainly ranks with Bullough's and Stephenson's of the world. Then again, that's been the kind of coach Wilson has hired the majority of the time.

Jauron is a real-life character of a mixture of Debbie Downer, Eeyore and Droopy.

:lol::rolleyes: