Roster Cuts

cmjoyce113

We have a ton of position battles with guys that are pretty much even when it comes to talent. I looked at what we might keep and here is what I was thinking, I want everyone elses input as well.

QB - 3 Edwards, Fitz, Hamdan

FB - 1 McIntyre

RB- 4 Lynch, Jackson, Rhodes, Omon - we cant afford to only keep 3 with Lynch's suspension in my mind

WR- 7 or 8 - this is a tough spot for us, We obviously have Owens, Evans, Reed, Parish, Hardy, Johnson, I think we need to atleast keep Huggins, or Jenkins for Specials if not both of them

OL- 8? - we have the starting 5 and then Bell, Chambers and McKinney? What does anyone else think, do we keep 9?

TE - 3 or 4 - as stated in another thread its a tough choice on who to cut and how many we keep

DE - 4 or 5 - Maybin, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Ellis or Bryan? I don't see DJ and staff cutting Schobel, Denney or Kelsay even if all 3 are at best average, I think we may have to keep 5 based on the fact Maybin isn't close to ready to step in and be an every down player if needed

DL- 4 - Stroud, Johnson, Williams, McCargo

Lb's - 6 or 7 - Poz, Mitchell, Ellison, Harris.... Buggs, Corto and Bowen fighting for 2 spots?

DB's - 9 - McKelvin, McGee, Simpson, Whitner, Florence, Lankster, Byrd, Corner, Wilson, (Do we keep Wendling for specs? What about Sargent?) maybe we keep 11 DB's?

Then of course we have LS, Kicker and Punter which is 3 more spots... these #'s take us to 56 to 59... so do we only keep 3 TE's 4 RB's cut Steve Johnson and keep 6 receivers? Do we only keep 2 QB's this year because of all the other needs this team has? Also what do we do with DE, I think 5 is too many to carry but who is the odd man out?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm particularly interested to see what happens at DE, Safety, TE and RB.

DE: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Maybin, Ellis, Bryan (we're probably cutting 2 of these. I've been a huge supporter of Bryan for the last 2 years, I'd hate to see him go).

S: Whitner, Scott, Wilson, Byrd, Simpson, Wendling (we're probably cutting 2 again).

RB: Lynch, Jackson, Rhodes, Omon, McIntyre (I wonder what they're going to do. Has Rhodes shown ANYTHING? Omon for first few weeks, or make it over Rhodes? Do they like McIntyre's ability to be effective at RB, FB and special teams enough to keep him on the roster?)

TE: Schouman, Fine, Nelson, Stupar (do they keep all 4 or cut one? If they cut one, which one is it?)

We have a ton of position battles with guys that are pretty much even when it comes to talent. I looked at what we might keep and here is what I was thinking, I want everyone elses input as well.

I'd be surprised if Hamden is on the active 53 roster. 3rd emergency QB duty. I know what you mean, though - he's not getting cut.

I'd be surprised if Hamden is on the active 53 roster. 3rd emergency QB duty. I know what you mean, though - he's not getting cut,

I think with Edwards' inability to stay healthy for a whole season, you've got to keep 3 QB's on the roster. If Edwards goes down in a game, you've only got Fitzpatrick? Bad idea. Not to mention if you cut Hamdan, and another team picks him up (which I think is very likely), and Trent goes down, you've got no one to sign that knows the offense, and they've got to back up Fitzpatrick immediately. You're going to sign someone off the street for that week that has to be able to run the no huddle in a week? Bad idea.

If you're the Colts, you can get away with keeping 2 QB's and stashing away a 3rd QB that knows the offense on your practice squad. We don't have that luxury, unless you want Baker on the PS as your third string, and I don't think anyone wants that guy seeing action.

I think with Edwards' inability to stay healthy for a whole season, you've got to keep 3 QB's on the roster. If Edwards goes down in a game, you've only got Fitzpatrick? Bad idea. Not to mention if you cut Hamdan, and another team picks him up (which I think is very likely), and Trent goes down, you've got no one to sign that knows the offense, and they've got to back up Fitzpatrick immediately. You're going to sign someone off the street for that week that has to be able to run the no huddle in a week? Bad idea.

If you're the Colts, you can get away with keeping 2 QB's and stashing away a 3rd QB that knows the offense on your practice squad. We don't have that luxury, unless you want Baker on the PS as your third string, and I don't think anyone wants that guy seeing action.

Yeah...but I think if you've lost #1, then #2 these days, it's over and done on offense, left with hoping you have a lead and you can run the clock and your D hangs on.

Who knows?

DE: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Maybin, Ellis, Bryan (we're probably cutting 2 of these. I've been a huge supporter of Bryan for the last 2 years, I'd hate to see him go).

S: Whitner, Scott, Wilson, Byrd, Simpson, Wendling (we're probably cutting 2 again).

RB: Lynch, Jackson, Rhodes, Omon, McIntyre (I wonder what they're going to do. Has Rhodes shown ANYTHING? Omon for first few weeks, or make it over Rhodes? Do they like McIntyre's ability to be effective at RB, FB and special teams enough to keep him on the roster?)

TE: Schouman, Fine, Nelson, Stupar (do they keep all 4 or cut one? If they cut one, which one is it?)

Good questions.

DE: I think we keep 5, because Maybin's contribution will be limited to obvious passing situations early on. Either Ellis or Bryan will go, I think it'll be Ellis. Just my gut, but I think the reports on his strong performance are largely exaggerated. Yes he improved from last year, but that's not saying very much.

S: Easy, Simpson and Wendling are gone.

RB: Very trick, especially considering that Lynch will miss the first 3 games. If they cut anyone, it'll be Oman or Rhodes. I think that they keep all 5.

TE: None of them are legitimate starters, so you definitely cut one. Fine and Stupar are neck and neck. I say it's Fine that get's cut.

FB - 1 McIntyre

RB- 4 Lynch, Jackson, Rhodes, Omon - we cant afford to only keep 3 with Lynch's suspension in my mind

WR- 7 or 8 - this is a tough spot for us, We obviously have Owens, Evans, Reed, Parish, Hardy, Johnson, I think we need to atleast keep Huggins, or Jenkins for Specials if not both of them

OL- 8? - we have the starting 5 and then Bell, Chambers and McKinney? What does anyone else think, do we keep 9?

TE - 3 or 4 - as stated in another thread its a tough choice on who to cut and how many we keep

DE - 4 or 5 - Maybin, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Ellis or Bryan? I don't see DJ and staff cutting Schobel, Denney or Kelsay even if all 3 are at best average, I think we may have to keep 5 based on the fact Maybin isn't close to ready to step in and be an every down player if needed

DL- 4 - Stroud, Johnson, Williams, McCargo

Lb's - 6 or 7 - Poz, Mitchell, Ellison, Harris.... Buggs, Corto and Bowen fighting for 2 spots?

DB's - 9 - McKelvin, McGee, Simpson, Whitner, Florence, Lankster, Byrd, Corner, Wilson, (Do we keep Wendling for specs? What about Sargent?) maybe we keep 11 DB's?

Then of course we have LS, Kicker and Punter which is 3 more spots... these #'s take us to 56 to 59... so do we only keep 3 TE's 4 RB's cut Steve Johnson and keep 6 receivers? Do we only keep 2 QB's this year because of all the other needs this team has? Also what do we do with DE, I think 5 is too many to carry but who is the odd man out?

You're missing Scott @ safety, who is starting. Ko Simpson is cut, Youboty likely makes it. Maybin's holdout likely saved Denney for one more year.

Good questions.

DE: I think we keep 5, because Maybin's contribution will be limited to obvious passing situations early on. Either Ellis or Bryan will go, I think it'll be Ellis. Just my gut, but I think the reports on his strong performance are largely exaggerated. Yes he improved from last year, but that's not saying very much.

S: Easy, Simpson and Wendling are gone.

RB: Very trick, especially considering that Lynch will miss the first 3 games. If they cut anyone, it'll be Oman or Rhodes. I think that they keep all 5.

TE: None of them are legitimate starters, so you definitely cut one. Fine and Stupar are neck and neck. I say it's Fine that get's cut.

I predict Fine makes the team and is productive for us this year.

I predict Fine makes the team and is productive for us this year.

agree... if any TE gets cut, it would be Stupar who would be signed to PS, imo

If anything, I think that MacIntyre is goner with Shouman coming in on the short yardage situations.

DE we keep 5

Surprise cut that I would like to see would be Kelsay, but most likely Ellis or Bryan.

Safety we cut Simpson and possibly Wendling

RB Oman I would thinkis odd man out

TE Stupar or Fine

CB very competitive

Mcgee, McKelvin, Corner, Lankster, Youbouty and Florence are keepers.

DE we keep 5

Surprise cut that I would like to see would be Kelsay, but most likely Ellis or Bryan.

Safety we cut Simpson and possibly Wendling

RB Oman I would thinkis odd man out

TE Stupar or Fine

CB very competitive

Mcgee, McKelvin, Corner, Lankster, Youbouty and Florence are keepers.

Kelsay gone no one will trade for him cap number is too high.

Simpson and Wendling cut

Oman practice squad

Stupar possible practive squad cut earlier than expected so he can be brought back to PS.

Schouman and McIntyre go down to the wire. I need to see Schouman at RB before that decision is made.

McIntyre impressed in a limited role last week

WR hate to lose Steve Johnson but he has had his share of injury issues Jenkins Hawthorne and Huggins have outpreformed but Johnson has much more potential especially if TO leaves after this year and who knows what Hardy can do?

QB(3) - Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gibran Hamdan

RB(3) - Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Dominic Rhodes

TE(3) - Derek Fine, Shawn Nelson, Jonathan Stupar

WR(6) - Lee Evans, Terrell Owens, Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, James Hardy

OG(3) - Eric Wood, Adam Levitre, Kirk Cambers, (Seth McKinney)

OT(3) - Langston Walker, Brad Butler, Demetrius Bell, (Kirk Chambers), (Adam Levitre)

OC(2) - Geoff Hangartner, Seth McKinney, (Eric Wood)

Offense = 23

DE(6) - Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Aaron Maybin, Chris Ellis, Copeland Bryan

DT(4) - Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, John McCargo, Spencer Johnson

OLB(4) - Kawika Mitchell, Nic Harris, Keith Ellison, Alvin Bowen, (Marcus Buggs)

MLB(2) - Paul Pozluszny, Marcus Buggs

CB(5) - Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner, Ashton Youboty, Ellis Lankster

SS/FS(6) - Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott, Jairus Byrd, Ko Simpson, John Wendling, George Wilson, (Nic Harris)

Defense = 27

K/PK(1) - Rian Lindell

P(1) - Brian Moorman

LS(1) - Garrison Sanborn

ST = 3

RB - Xavier Omon (till Lynch returns)

Kelsay gone no one will trade for him cap number is too high.

Simpson and Wendling cut

Oman practice squad

can Omon go to the practice squad?

Youboty should be gone, he can't stay on the field.

TE and DE are probably the hardest to call. TE due to the fact that none of them really stands out, and DE has some baggage as well.

QB(3) - Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gibran Hamdan

RB(3) - Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Dominic Rhodes

TE(3) - Derek Fine, Shawn Nelson, Jonathan Stupar

WR(6) - Lee Evans, Terrell Owens, Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, James Hardy

OG(3) - Eric Wood, Adam Levitre, Kirk Cambers, (Seth McKinney)

OT(3) - Langston Walker, Brad Butler, Demetrius Bell, (Kirk Chambers), (Adam Levitre)

OC(2) - Geoff Hangartner, Seth McKinney, (Eric Wood)

Offense = 23

DE(6) - Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Aaron Maybin, Chris Ellis, Copeland Bryan

DT(4) - Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, John McCargo, Spencer Johnson

OLB(4) - Kawika Mitchell, Nic Harris, Keith Ellison, Alvin Bowen, (Marcus Buggs)

MLB(2) - Paul Pozluszny, Marcus Buggs

CB(5) - Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin, Reggie Corner, Ashton Youboty, Ellis Lankster

SS/FS(6) - Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott, Jairus Byrd, Ko Simpson, John Wendling, George Wilson, (Nic Harris)

Defense = 27

K/PK(1) - Rian Lindell

P(1) - Brian Moorman

LS(1) - Garrison Sanborn

ST = 3

RB - Xavier Omon (till Lynch returns)

Schouman is the starting TE. He is NOT going to be cut.