'Explosion' of Swine Flu Cases Predicted

Magox

I know I know, it's a Dwight Drane classic, but...

http://news.aol.com/health/article/explosi...redicted/502143

The global spread of swine flu will endanger more lives as it speeds up in the coming months and governments must boost preparations for a swift response to a coming "explosion" of cases, the World Health Organization said Friday.

Many countries could see swine flu cases double every three to four days for several months until peak transmission is reached, once cold weather returns to the northern hemisphere, said WHO's Western Pacific director, Shin Young-soo.

"At a certain point, there will seem to be an explosion in case numbers," Shin told a symposium of health officials and experts in Beijing. "It is certain there will be more cases and more deaths."

WHO earlier estimated that as many as 2 billion people could become infected over the next two years — nearly one-third of the world's population.

I've got lots of friends in S.A and this is a real concern for them over there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The global spread of swine flu will endanger more lives as it speeds up in the coming months and governments must boost preparations for a swift response to a coming "explosion" of cases, the World Health Organization said Friday.

Many countries could see swine flu cases double every three to four days for several months until peak transmission is reached, once cold weather returns to the northern hemisphere, said WHO's Western Pacific director, Shin Young-soo.

"At a certain point, there will seem to be an explosion in case numbers," Shin told a symposium of health officials and experts in Beijing. "It is certain there will be more cases and more deaths."

WHO earlier estimated that as many as 2 billion people could become infected over the next two years — nearly one-third of the world's population.

It's almost Time to Choose Sides...

Dateline 8/21/09, Cincinnati, OH:

http://www.wlwt.com/health/20479345/detail.html

I will say this, as of right now, in Argentina they have shut down the entire school system for 2 weeks, tourism is down by 50%, many businesses are generating 80% less revenues and the country is struck with paranoia and fear, and the streets of Buenos Aires are barely half as busy as they normally are.

If the WHO is correct with some of their more dire predictions, which would be 2 Billion affected people within the next two years, well, you can say good bye to any sort of global economic recovery, airline companies would be the next industry looking for a bailout and we would fall into another major global recession. On a bright note, Gasoline prices would be close to a $1 a gallon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=abCN9aBVJIkg

Swine flu may infect half the U.S. population this year, hospitalize 1.8 million patients, and lead to 90,000 deaths, according to a report by White House advisers.

Thirty percent to 50 percent of the country’s population will be infected in the fall and winter, according to the “plausible scenario” outlined in today’s report by the President’s Council of Advisers on Science and Technology. As many as 300,000 patients may require treatment in hospital intensive care units, filling 50 percent to 100 percent of all beds available to those facilities, the study said.

more swine flu fodder

Yawn.

Let's see.....

From the Whitehouse itself now.....not some bunker-digging fruitcake like myself......

30-50% will get it. That's on top of normal illness.

Do you know what that will do to our splended economic "recovery"? If 50% of the working population misses an extra week of work/productivity because of this, and most of that happens over a 3-6 month period....without taking any quarrantine into account, we will lose 2-4% productivity on an annual basis over that time. Once again, that is without any proactive measures to keep the virus "under control".

If 100% of the hospital beds are filled with flu patients.....what else does that mean? Prepare to meet your friendly military men and women at the front door of the hospital! Having a heart attack or stroke? Good luck getting through the cirucs in time to get proper care. Oh....and since 50% of the population could be sick, that includes health care workers. I'm sure all those nurses aides making $8 an hour will just be RUSHING back to work to deal with this mess. I'm also sure the doctors and nurses won't be overworked.

Schools?

Police?

Garbage?

Snowplows?

Your Work?

Supermarkets?

Gasoline?

Get the drift?

So don't be shocked when we all take a "little timeout" to "let the virus take it's course".....in the meantime we'll just shut down 400 banks while the gettin is good. I mean...we're all on holiday anyway, right?

But then again....I'm just an idiot on a message board. It's not like your God in the Whitehouse is telling you what they are expecting now.