Chris Ellis Working Hard For A Roster Spot.

Steely Dan

Linky

"You take all the reps you can get," Ellis said. "I laugh saying that I get exhausted at times taking the No. 2 and No. 3 reps. You just appreciate the opportunity and try to make the best of your reps until [Maybin] handles his situation."

:beer:

I hope to hell he proves me wrong about my believing he is a wasted draft pick but I'm not holding my breath. It would be great to have another speed rusher to throw into the rotation. If he can become that player then I'll happily admit I was wrong.

:worthy:

Here's to you Ellis. Bust your tail and make a difference. Jackass!

Linky

"You take all the reps you can get," Ellis said. "I laugh saying that I get exhausted at times taking the No. 2 and No. 3 reps. You just appreciate the opportunity and try to make the best of your reps until [Maybin] handles his situation."

I hope to hell he proves me wrong about my believing he is a wasted draft pick but I'm not holding my breath. It would be great to have another speed rusher to throw into the rotation. If he can become that player then I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Why do you think he sucks? From all accounts he is much improved from last year. Not everyone can be a superstar in their rookie year.

Why do you think he sucks? From all accounts he is much improved from last year. Not everyone can be a superstar in their rookie year.

The knock on him coming out of college, IIRC, was he was lazy. The scouting reports in the pre-draft mags all agreed that the team he goes to will have to do a lot to keep him motivated. The other knock was that he was injury prone. I don't hold injuries against a guy unless he's drafted with that being common knowledge. It's obviously not his fault but it is a reason to hate the pick, IMO.

So far I haven't seen much as far as motivation seems to go. Look at the quote in my thread starter and I think that says a lot.

As a rookie, Ellis totaled three tackles and zero sacks. He saw the field on defense in only six games and went on injured reserve with an ankle injury the final four weeks.

If he was a guy holding his own and doing a solid job I believe he wouldn't have been IR'd with an ankle injury with four games to go. Especially with a playoff berth on the line. I believe the coaching staff thought he was a waste of space.

JMO

Steely, I really don't understand a post like this. Yes, I read the concerns about Ellis' work ethic a year ago. There are oodles and oodles of college players who don't "get it" in the NFL immediately; he was obviously one of them. He was not a 1st or even 2nd rounder. Now, the guy has apparently committed himself to the business of football, is speaking like a guy who has matured, is busting his ass, and for some reason you think THIS is the time to bash him?

Like I said, I don't get it.

Uh.... what?

He was a 3rd round rookie last year and didn't play much at all. So, of course, his stats aren't going to look good at all. Not to mention, HE WAS A ROOKIE!

If I remember correctly, at the last preseason game, the guy was all over the field. He had a sack one play and picked a fumble the very next play.

I'd say it's WAYYYYY early to be labeling a guy with the "sucks" label. I, honestly, would be shocked if he was cut.

Linky

So what has Ellis done or not done to make you think he sucks? I am like others, I am tired of watching Kelsay and even more so Denney and their below mediocre play every year. Who know what we will get from Schobel as he gets older and tries to recover from injury. From everything I have read, Ellis has had a pretty good camp. If he is a fraction of the last guy we drafted out of Virginia Tech, he will do pretty good. Just can't understand someone hating someone or saying they suck when they have nothing at all to base it on.

It isn't very often that rookie defensive ends coming in and make any sort of consistent impact. It's just one of those positions that usually takes a solid year + for young players to learn how to play at an NFL-level, even ones that turn out to be great. Not every guy can have a Kearse-like impact in his first year. Ellis played GREAT last week and has, by most accounts, shown a great deal of improvement from last year to this offseason. Give the kid a break, for now at least. If he was showing little or no signs of progress right now going into his 2nd year, I would understand a post such as this.

BTW, did your kitty point his 9 mm at you for that post??? :thumbdown:

Did you notice him in the 2nd preseason game, SD? This guy was all over the field. He, Corey Mace and Copeland Bryan gave me a very pleasant surprise, and im pumped to see if they can follow up the next couple weeks. But here's to hoping.

They did? How sweet of them. What was the surprise? A new hunting rifle? :thumbdown:

Steely, I really don't understand a post like this. Yes, I read the concerns about Ellis' work ethic a year ago. There are oodles and oodles of college players who don't "get it" in the NFL immediately; he was obviously one of them. He was not a 1st or even 2nd rounder. Now, the guy has apparently committed himself to the business of football, is speaking like a guy who has matured, is busting his ass, and for some reason you think THIS is the time to bash him?

Like I said, I don't get it.

In training camp his motor was on and off. Last year his motor was off altogether. He'll make the team I just have a hard time believing his motivation will last long after the season starts.

Uh.... what?

He was a 3rd round rookie last year and didn't play much at all. So, of course, his stats aren't going to look good at all. Not to mention, HE WAS A ROOKIE!

If I remember correctly, at the last preseason game, the guy was all over the field. He had a sack one play and picked a fumble the very next play.

I'd say it's WAYYYYY early to be labeling a guy with the "sucks" label. I, honestly, would be shocked if he was cut.

He won't be cut because they want to try and motivate him. If this kid had Bruce Smithlike drive to get better he could be another Aaron Schobel in his prime. Yes, he was a rookie last year. He only recorded three tackles and zero sacks in six games. With Schobel out this kid should have seen a lot more playing time than that. JMO

Steely, I'll give you 2 to 1 odds and bet you whatever amount of money you'd like that Chris Ellis makes the 53-man roster. Let me know.

I never said he wouldn't make the roster. I believe he will. I also believe his motivation wont last long after making the 53 man roster this year.

As I said above I would love for him to prove me wrong but I just have a feeling about this kid. I hated this pick one second after it was announced.

JMO

Just can't understand someone hating someone or saying they suck when they have nothing at all to base it on.

He had plenty to base his opinion on, a pre-draft mag said he was lazy and he didn't play much last year. :thumbdown:

He had plenty to base his opinion on, a pre-draft mag said he was lazy and he didn't play much last year. :thumbdown:

All, of the draft pundits were down on his work ethic. Also, Schobel was out, so how much do you think an average DE would play in that situation?

All, of the draft pundits were down on his work ethic. Also, Schobel was out, so how much do you think an average DE would play in that situation?

I don't rate players based on rookie seasons, and I sure as hell don't care about what some draft "pundit" has to say. It's also important to point out that I despise anything and everything VA Tech.

If your going to have an opinion great, but at least base it on something you see not someone else.

I don't rate players based on rookie seasons, and I sure as hell don't care about what some draft "pundit" has to say. It's also important to point out that I despise anything and everything VA Tech.

If your going to have an opinion great, but at least base it on something you see not someone else.

Thanks for disclosing but what's with the VATech hate btw?

Ok, when I watch the news I'll totally discount anything they say because I haven't seen it? Draft gurus are news researchers about all the players. It's a full time job. So I take what they say and view it from a researched stance. You don't think they sit around never watching tape, never doing interviews and makin crap up do you? I don't see what's wrong with respecting their research. Do you only believe what you see?

As far as rookie seasons go I normally don't rate guys either but 3 tackles and zero sacks in a rookie season when the DE position was thin says a lot to me. JMO