Aaron Maybin contract negotiations

I don't claim to have any inside info on the Maybin negotiations, but an analysis of the numbers can help explain the impasse.

A lot of the blame for Maybin's contract holdout has gone to Michael Crabtree's holdout one slot ahead. However, the real sticking point is Knowshon Moreno's 5 yr $23 million ($13 million guaranteed) one spot behind. Maybin's agent wants more than Moreno. Based on Raji's numbers, I'm guessing Maybin's agent Joel Segal is asking for 5 years, $25 million, $15 million guaranteed.

Consider picks 9-13

9 Raji 5yr $28.5 million, $18 million guaranteed

10 Crabtree - not signed

11 Maybin - not signed

12 Moreno - 5 yr $23 million, $13 million guaranteed

13 Orakpo - 5 yr $20 million, $12 million guaranteed

source: http://www.ultimatemockdraft.com/

The Bills are using last year's numbers to inform their negotiations.

9 Rivers 6years, $23 million, $15.6 guaranteed

10 Mayo 5 years, $19 million, $13.8 million guaranteed

11 McKelvin 5 years, 19.4 million, $12.6 million guaranteed

12 Clady 5 years, $17.5 million, $11.5 million guaranteed

13 Stewart 5 years, $20 million, $10.8 million guaranteed

The Bills are pointing to RB Jonathan Stewart getting a larger contract 2 picks behind McKelvin.

The Bills are probably offering 5 years, $22 million, $13 million guaranteed.

The Bills can't justify paying 25% more on this year's pick as they did on last year's pick in the same spot.

I'm guessing a deal gets done at $23.5 million, $13.5 million guaranteed.

I don't claim to have any inside info on the Maybin negotiations, but an analysis of the numbers can help explain the impasse.

A lot of the blame for Maybin's contract holdout has gone to Michael Crabtree's holdout one slot ahead. However, the real sticking point is Knowshon Moreno's 5 yr $23 million ($13 million guaranteed) one spot behind. Maybin's agent wants more than Moreno. Based on Raji's numbers, I'm guessing Maybin's agent Joel Segal is asking for 5 years, $25 million, $15 million guaranteed.

Consider picks 9-13

10 Crabtree - not signed

11 Maybin - not signed

The Bills are pointing to RB Jonathan Stewart getting a larger contract 2 picks behind McKelvin.

The Bills can't justify paying 25% more on this year's pick as they did on last year's pick in the same spot.

Then again maybe the Bills are smart enough to know that this years contracts are based on this years slots so maybe their offer is closer to 24/25 million with 14/15 guaranteed, and Maybin wants to wait until Crabtree signs to try to use those inflated numbers as leverage.

No one really knows :devil:

What if Crabtree goes back into next years draft (unlikely I know, but humor me)?

Knowing that he can no longer use Crabtree to try and inflate his contract, I would assume then Maybin signs the deal we have been offering him and says "my bad." Then continues to try to explain to fans to understand the "business" side of things in the NFL.

Consider picks 9-13

10 Crabtree - not signed

11 Maybin - not signed

If your scenario is true, I can understand why Maybin's camp isn't budging for now. That is really playing lowball, IMO.

Consider picks 9-13

10 Crabtree - not signed

11 Maybin - not signed

I HAVE SAID THIS BEFORE IN ANOTHER THREAD...dealing with the SAME EXACT TOPIC!

"Maybin’s value should fall somewhere between the respective five-year contracts signed by Raji ($28.5 million, with just under $18 million guaranteed) and Orakpo ($20 million, with $12.1 million guaranteed)."

give the sumbitch 5 years - $24 million, $14 mill guarenteed. was that hard to figure out?

"Maybin’s value should fall somewhere between the respective five-year contracts signed by Raji ($28.5 million, with just under $18 million guaranteed) and Orakpo ($20 million, with $12.1 million guaranteed)."

give the sumbitch 5 years - $24 million, $14 mill guarenteed. was that hard to figure out?

I agree we need him in camp..... Just get it done!!!

I think Maybin sucks really bad so he's trying to get as much money up front as he can before they find out he's a bust and cut his ass. Screw him let's trade his rights to some other dumb ass team. Lets swap picks with the Bengles and get their unsigned tackle, I already forgot his name Andre or something.

Jup... we should make this in a bet/quiz/poll kinda thing... I said 26/14 for 5 in the other thread.

Realisticly could it be that the issue is contract duration, i.e. it was 2 weeks into camp before the slotting could be done, maybe the FO went for 6 years and is that what the dispute is about. A dispute at this point about financials just doesn't make sense.

Maybe Money Mabin is hurt or got smoked up and can`t pass his physical? I`m sure the Bills are offering what he should get.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I could practically hear the conversation:

Maybin: Gee, since I'm so hurt and practically useless, maybe I should sign this contract in front of me for 27 million before they find out I'm useless and I don't get any $$$$ at all.

Agent: Nooo Aaron, since you are hurt and useless, this may be your only contract, so we are just going to sit back and wait for them to pony up 28 or 29 million! After all, this may have to last you the rest of your life.

Maybin Ohhh, now I get it. Could you pass the bong please?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I could practically hear the conversation:

Maybin: Gee, since I'm so hurt and practically useless, maybe I should sign this contract in front of me for 27 million before they find out I'm useless and I don't get any $$$$ at all.

Agent: Nooo Aaron, since you are hurt and useless, this may be your only contract, so we are just going to sit back and wait for them to pony up 28 or 29 million! After all, this may have to last you the rest of your life.

Maybin Ohhh, now I get it.

It's more like this...

Maybin: I'm a light-in-the-azz D-Lineman that is going to be treated like a prison b1t(h in the NFL. I want a huge signing bonus and first year contract so I can cash in before everyone realizes that I'm a worthless bust.

Agent: O.K., let's do this.

According to the numbers I've seen, the contract would be 5 years, 24.25 million, 15.05 guaranteed.

IMO, that's the "fault" line. Whoever is asking for more or less than that is responsible for Maybin not being in camp.

I think Maybin sucks really bad so he's trying to get as much money up front as he can before they find out he's a bust and cut his ass. Screw him let's trade his rights to some other dumb ass team. Lets swap picks with the Bengles and get their unsigned tackle, I already forgot his name Andre or something.

Well Denney, Kelsay, and Reed are all busts and they all got contract extensions well in excess of their rookie deals. Thank you Marv!

Consider picks 9-13

10 Crabtree - not signed

11 Maybin - not signed

Really good point. I've said all along that the blame should be shared by both parties for failing to make concessions in order to get this done. I think this would speak to that point.

Really good point. I've said all along that the blame should be shared by both parties for failing to make concessions in order to get this done. I think this would speak to that point.

According to TO on Twitter:

terrellowens 12:01 am 8/21/09: Congrats 2 our #1 draft pick Aaron Maybin!! He will b officially joining the Buffalo Bills 2morr!!