Question about tattoos in the workplace.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is there are certain number of people out there, who truly get Tatts for artistic/creative reasons. The rest are "look at me" ilk.

Especially the ones with the Japanese/Chinese characters. <_<

Look at me! I'm such an individual I'm getting tattoos like everyone else!

Especially the ones with the Japanese/Chinese characters. <_<

Look at me! I'm such an individual I'm getting tattoos like everyone else!

I don't know one sinlge person that got a tattoo and gave a single thought about what other people would think about it. In fact, I'd say most people should care a little more about that, if anything. Your stereotype is garbage.

As pointed out above the tattoos will look like shiite in about 30 years. Removing them is expensive and extremely painful and it still leaves a light outline of the tattoo. I have yet to see anyone who looks better with a tattoo than not. JMO. Also, I'm not sure I'd want anything permanently attached to my body except for Jessica Alba or Salma Hayek, literally.

Non tattooed people are the minority now but just as all styles go it will eventually die out.

As pointed out above the tattoos will look like shiite in about 30 years. Removing them is expensive and extremely painful and it still leaves a light outline of the tattoo. I have yet to see anyone who looks better with a tattoo than not. JMO. Also, I'm not sure I'd want anything permanently attached to my body except for Jessica Alba or Salma Hayek, literally.

Non tattooed people are the minority now but just as all styles go it will eventually die out.

Even after they've turned 80? Think about it.

this post goes out to Chef...

i work in technologies. i have a few tattoos, some visible to customers, if my shirt sleeves come up. Nothing filthy or in bad taste though. ive had meetings with OLD SCHOOL rich, southern gentlemen that run a VERY high scale financial planning/investment company. we're talking bow-ties and seersucker suits. the tattoos have never been an issue when selling to them or performing the work.

now, i think that has to do with a combination of things:

1. im not working for as an employee of their company

2. we're very VERY good at what we do

both of the Partners of my company are in their 40s, and they have tatoos. nothing big though. mine were never once brought up as an issue or anything.

i think a lot depends on what youre offering and how well you do it. im also extremely professional in nature. with a shirt and tie on, youd never expect it from me. but i have tattoos that go right down to my wrists. but not PAST my wrist. my friends and i refer to the collar and wrists as "the employment line". the day i get a hand/neck tattoo is when i never have to worry about working again.

I just spent the week in Cancun, and for the first time in my life I saw many examples of what happens when a tramp stamp ages. Absolutely hideous.

On the other hand, since we had our son with us (so, subsequently, the resort had more older families than younger couples), I also saw what happens when women aren't provided mirrors in their room and somehow think it's still okay to wear a two-piece bathing suit. You know I'm always railing against government intrusion in our lives, but I would have no problem if the government would create laws to determine which chicks can wear a bikini in public.

By the way, two of my employees' arms are covered with tatoos, and while I used to be against it, my industry doesn't care if these guys showed up in a bikini with a wrinkled tramp stamp: they're two of the best in the biz, and that is all my customers care about. They know to wear long sleeves to the job if it's necessary.

yep, no one can argue with results. show me a business owner who would want less-than performers doing a job for them simply because the top guys have tattoos, and ill show you a very stupid businessman. really, no one cares anymore. i thought i was going to have trouble down south with the old-money guys. but they dont care as long as I do my job right.

i work in technologies. i have a few tattoos, some visible to customers, if my shirt sleeves come up. Nothing filthy or in bad taste though. ive had meetings with OLD SCHOOL rich, southern gentlemen that run a VERY high scale financial planning/investment company. we're talking bow-ties and seersucker suits. the tattoos have never been an issue when selling to them or performing the work.

both of the Partners of my company are in their 40s, and they have tatoos. nothing big though. mine were never once brought up as an issue or anything.

i think a lot depends on what youre offering and how well you do it. im also extremely professional in nature. with a shirt and tie on, youd never expect it from me. but i have tattoos that go right down to my wrists. but not PAST my wrist. my friends and i refer to the collar and wrists as "the employment line". the day i get a hand/neck tattoo is when i never have to worry about working again.

I think you're responding to my Shell gas station remark. There's a difference between having tattoos that you cover up that just happen to show when you roll up your sleeves (while wearing a tie) and this: I have size 0 ear gauges and a bunch of tattoos.

I think you're responding to my Shell gas station remark. There's a difference between having tattoos that you cover up that just happen to show when you roll up your sleeves (while wearing a tie) and this: I have size 0 ear gauges and a bunch of tattoos.

i wasnt responding to any post you made in particular. ive seen you mention before about strictness of the financial company you work for. and just commenting that the same types of guys which ive run into, dont seem to mind (as long as im not going in front of their customers <_< )

That's horse hockey. I know you have kitty paws down in your kitty area.

Dr Dank to yor point there is an element of how you carry yourself. I do not have tats and will not get one. I work in an environment where they would generally be frowned upon. However, if you are a qualified individual who carryies themselves professionally you are likely to overcome the bias.

As a part of this, with what and where you are tattooed likely comes into play. If it is offensive or distracting to conversation then it will work against you.