Unusual Explanations for the Obesity Epidemic

Owning life insurance is riding on a high horse? Protecting your loved ones is a luxury? You're kidding me right?

No, your ignoring of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, and having a one-line cure-all for every problem in the world is you riding on a high horse.

You completely ignored the China couple who gained a lot of weight in a few months of living here, eating the same things they ate in China.

But it's all about chicken breasts and salads, right? :rolleyes:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, your ignoring of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, and having a one-line cure-all for every problem in the world is you riding on a high horse.

You completely ignored the China couple who gained a lot of weight in a few months of living here, eating the same things they ate in China.

But it's all about chicken breasts and salads, right? :rolleyes:

Ok that story about the people from China was interesting don't know how true it is but interesting none the less. But let me ask you a question. Let say we have two families. One eats at fast food five nights a week and the other once a month as a treat. The second family watches what the eat, taking the time to do it right. They may spend a little more each month but I'm willing to bet not that much more. Who has the more likely chance of being obese. That's all I'm saying.

Oh and BTW it's also a SCIENTIFIC FACT that if you eat right and exercise you reduce your chances of being obese.

Edited by Chef Jim

I call bull sh--. What is causing America to be fat is people eating too much and not getting off their lazy asses to exercise.

The "eating healthy is too expensive" excuse is bull sh-- too. It's not that difficult to take 30 minutes and make a menu for the week along with a shopping list on a budget. Instead of the $7 frozen pizza, try getting a bag of frozen chicken breast. Its about $7 for a 2.5 lb bag. Combine that with a $1.50 bag of frozen veggies and a $2 box of rice, and you've got a reasonably healthy meal for 4 for about $10. Don't want bland chicken? Can't afford a cook book? Go online and take 30 seconds to look up some simple recipes to flavor the dish. Some spices are expensive, but the grocery stores down here usually have a variety of spices on the dollar rack.

Or since veggies are "too expensive," try this. Spend about $2 for a packet of seeds in the spring. Plant a garden. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, beans, etc will give you a hell of a return on your investment. And planting and maintaining the garden will actually get you off your fat ass and help you burn a few calories. This can be done in an apartment too, with a simple box planter. You can grow a handful of veggies from a balcony.

99.9% of the obesity issues in america come from nothing more than pure laziness. Sure, you could cook a healthy meal, but its 7:45 and american idol starts in 15 minutes, so you'd better just grab mickey D's.

It is all about "bang for your buck." That is CALORIC bang fellas. It only makes economic sense going back to caveman that you pack on as many calories as possible with the least amount of effort (in today's age, that effort is money).

That is a natural response that has been programmed into people since the dawn of time. You want it to change now... Even with a food delivery system that worsens that genetic response. Don't get me wrong, I am not letting people off the hook here either. Yet, it is gonna take time... Especially in the system we have. We can't just expect people to be programmed properly!

Not if you want them to taste good. Try eating oatmeal with nothing on it, or feeding a child boiled kale on a plate. I hate fast food, but even I would go jack a sukka and buy a cheeseburger from Mickey-D's if my momma ever tried to put that crap on the table.

I hear ya, but if you take a meal from McDonalds from the last generation and compare it to today:

Hamburger 250 Cal, 9g Fat

Fries 100 Cal, 11g fat

Coca Cola (8oz) 110 Cal, 0g Fat

460 calories, 20g Fat....versus

Quarter Pounder with Cheese 510 Cal, 26g Fat

Large Fries 500 Cal, 25g Fat

Diet Coke (Cause everyone is watching their waistline)

1010 Cal, 51g Fat....That's more than half what an average person should eat in a day calorie wise and more fat than they should have in a day. I know comparing a quarter Pounder to a Hamburger is ridiculous, but does McDonald's even offer a Hamburger value meal for adults? Hell, their new Angus burgers break the scale at 750 Cal+ and 40+g of Fat.

I realize that sometimes time necessitates fast food, but it's possible to eat "healthier" when going through the drive thru. I'm sure the grilled chicken sandwich is pretty low on the totem poll at Mickey D's.

Portion size is off the charts in this country. People just need to show some moderation...your appetite will adjust.

Can't anyone heat up a can of Chicken Noodle/Tomato/Minstrone anymore?

It is all about "bang for your buck." That is CALORIC bang fellas. It only makes economic sense going back to caveman that you pack on as many calories as possible with the least amount of effort (in today's age, that effort is money).

That is a natural response that has been programmed into people since the dawn of time. You want it to change now... Even with a food delivery system that worsens that genetic response. Don't get me wrong, I am not letting people off the hook here either. Yet, it is gonna take time... Especially in the system we have. We can't just expect people to be programmed properly!

So we're instinctive fatasses?

"It's not my fault....I can't excercise rational thought, so I have to instinctively stuff my face with Ding Dongs."

Look, if people want to be overweight, that's fine by me. Just accept that it's a choice (for the vast majority) and enough with the excuses.

So we're instinctive fatasses?

"It's not my fault....I can't excercise rational thought, so I have to instinctively stuff my face with Ding Dongs."

Look, if people want to be overweight, that's fine by me. Just accept that it's a choice (for the vast majority) and enough with the excuses.

Yes! Some cultures are. Feast or famine. There are no more famine here in the US... Right?

The problem IS choice... Just too much... Of course many will make a WRONG choice. Nobody bats 1000.

And I am not saying it is solely the system's fault... And not soley the person's fault... It is a combination... Plenty of blame to go around!

Yes! Some cultures are. Feast or famine. There are no more famine here in the US... Right?

The problem IS choice... Just too much... Of course many will make a WRONG choice. Nobody bats 1000.

And I am not saying it is solely the system's fault... And not soley the person's fault... It is a combination... Plenty of blame to go around!

If choice is the problem and people make their own choices it is solely their fault. Many years ago I made the choice to drink too much. My choice, my fault, my problem. The the spirits industry for advertising and marketing directly to me had nothing to do with it. If people realized that they and only they are in control of their destiny then we'd have a lot less messed up people. Or at least a lot less people blaming others for their problems.

If choice is the problem and people make their own choices it is solely their fault. Many years ago I made the choice to drink too much. My choice, my fault, my problem. The the spirits industry for advertising and marketing directly to me had nothing to do with it. If people realized that they and only they are in control of their destiny then we'd have a lot less messed up people. Or at least a lot less people blaming others for their problems.

I am not totally disagreeing with what you are saying. Drinking in a luxury. The food delivery system should be partially to blame. If Tyson can plump a fryer up in half the time it once took... Don't you think there is some sort of residual effect?

Do you not realize that money is an enormous problem in this country? You act like everyone can afford everything, and it is their decision whether to eat healthy or not.

It really is not that simple. Not eating healthy is cheaper, more convenient, saves time, and tastes better.

I am not totally disagreeing with what you are saying. Drinking in a luxury. The food delivery system should be partially to blame. If Tyson can plump a fryer up in half the time it once took... Don't you think there is some sort of residual effect?

People like fat and bad-for-them foods sometime. It's their fault if they always eat unhealthy foods or overeat. I love Pizza, chicken wings, and beer but it's my own stupid fault if I eat that crap all the time. It's no one else's fault.

Do you not realize that money is an enormous problem in this country? You act like everyone can afford everything, and it is their decision whether to eat healthy or not.

It really is not that simple. Not eating healthy is cheaper, more convenient, saves time, and tastes better.

Since you have trouble reading, i'll repeat myself from above.

The "eating healthy is too expensive" excuse is bull sh-- too. It's not that difficult to take 30 minutes and make a menu for the week along with a shopping list on a budget. Instead of the $7 frozen pizza, try getting a bag of frozen chicken breast. Its about $7 for a 2.5 lb bag. Combine that with a $1.50 bag of frozen veggies and a $2 box of rice, and you've got a reasonably healthy meal for 4 for about $10. Don't want bland chicken? Can't afford a cook book? Go online and take 30 seconds to look up some simple recipes to flavor the dish. Some spices are expensive, but the grocery stores down here usually have a variety of spices on the dollar rack.

People like fat and bad-for-them foods sometime. It's their fault if they always eat unhealthy foods or overeat. I love Pizza, chicken wings, and beer but it's my own stupid fault if I eat that crap all the time. It's no one else's fault.

And what about the major problem of youth obesity in this country? They don't have any say in the matter.

No, it is that simple. When I had no money, I still had plenty of money enough to not eat McDs and frozen foods unless I chose to. Buying a chicken breast and a gallon of 2% is not that hard. Maybe the Fuji apple is expensive but the Macintosh isn't.

Stop making excuses for people. Have faith in them instead.

And what about the major problem of youth obesity in this country? They don't have any say in the matter.

Youth obesity is the LEAST of the problems that result from poor parenting in the US, and there's absolutely nothing I can do to cure it, outside of kids/parents in my circle of influence.

Yes it is that simple. Eating healthy can be cheaper but if it's not it's only a small amount more. And why does eating healthy in your book not taste better? Your two middle reasons are the main reasons. Time and covenience. People want it fast and they want it now. I made an all vegetarian meal on Saturday and it took a couple hours to prepare and it was wonderful. Oh by the way we ate the left overs on Sunday and Monday.

Question...do you cook?

Do you not realize that money is an enormous problem in this country?

How is money an enormous problem? We're talking about obesity rates in the 30%-40% range. Are you actually suggesting that the vast majority of those people don't have enough money to buy healthy food (never mind the fact that people have given all sorts of examples of how to eat healthy and cheaply). The percentage of people who truly can not 'afford' to eat decent food is very small.

The only place I've ever spent significant time that was truly impoverished was in rural KY. Interestingly enough, very few of those poor people were fat. In Manhattan? I walk past 250+ lb shamus every 30 seconds. Anyone who is in line at McDonalds has plenty of money to eat properly.

So please, stop with the ridiculous characterizations as though you were fear-mongering politician.