Some Observations About The Game.

Steely Dan

This game was much better all around than last weeks game. I still believe that wins and losses have very little to do with pre-season games. How the starters and second string look are far more important.

O - The first string offense did a good job of moving the ball and giving the D a chance to rest. They had a HUGE advantage in TOP with 38.00 to Chicago's 22.00. With Chicago's defense being one of the better in the NFL that's a big time feather in the cap.

TEdwards - What more can you say than 10/10 and 1/14. He looked like a great field general out there commanding the O.

OL - This was mind boggling. They performed much better in pass protection than run support. Matt Baker was the only Bill to average 4.0 yards per carry with multiple carries. TE was the best avg. rusher at 1/14.

EWood - This kid never ceases to amaze me. I loved the sideline interview with him. I hope he's a Buffalo Bill until he retires. I've never been so quickly enamored of a player before.

DBell - Didn't really see a lot of him except for his penalty. I guess the fact that he wasn't mentioned other than that means he wasn't horrible but wasn't a stand out either.

MLynch - I don't think much of the RB's problems tonight were the result of them as much as the OL and going against a great defense. He still bulls his way and refuses to be stopped by the initial hit and always seems to get at least two more yards than a lot of other RB's would.

FJackson - He didn't look very good tonight. Once again I'm gonna blame it on the O-line going against a great D. The Bills are gonna face great D's this year so they need to learn to master their assignments.

SNelson - Did tonight what I expect him do for this season. He came in and caught a TD. He had one catch in the open field, IIRC.

RFitzpatrick - Looked A LOT better this week than last. 13 of 16 for 143 yards. Last week I was thinking that if he continued to play that way GH may pass him on the depth chart.

GHamdan - I was really P.O.'d to find out he has no fire to push the guys in front of him. That lack of competitiveness disturbs me. It's one thing to compete hard and then graciously accept the outcome and another to just not care.

BHall - If he's still eligible he'll make the PS and probably the roster until ML comes back.

MBaker - Probably makes the PS again.

D - A big reason for the TOP difference too. The number of three and outs was pretty good. The DB's looked great. The D line really needs AM to come into camp soon.

LMcKelvin - This kid proved he was worth the 11th pick last year, IMO.

TMcGee - Still playing at a high level. The starting CB's are better than a lot of teams have.

ELangster - Somehow this kid needs to get a roster spot. Can AY be traded for a 7th round pick?

KSimpson - Looked good last week and horrible this week. Flip a coin on whether or not he makes the team.

AYouboty - Looked decent but tonight he did not look nearly as good as he has before.

RCorner - Looks like a very good draft pick and is a lock to make the team.

CEllis - He had a sack tonight but IMO is still hanging on by his fingernails to make the team. God I hated this pick last year. :thumbdown:

Coaching - A lot better than we've seen before. Clock management was nearly perfect. The players seem to be ready to keep going and improving from what now looks like a much higher level of competence. Look for the team to cut some guys that will be picked up by other teams.

Overall a big step in the right direction. :)

This game was much better all around than last weeks game. I still believe that wins and losses have very little to do with pre-season games. How the starters and second string look are far more important.

O - The first string offense did a good job of moving the ball and giving the D a chance to rest. They had a HUGE advantage in TOP with 38.00 to Chicago's 22.00. With Chicago's defense being one of the better in the NFL that's a big time feather in the cap.

TE - What more can you say than 10/10 and 1/14. He looked like a great field general out there commanding the O.

OL - This was mind boggling. They performed much better in pass protection than run support. Matt Baker was the only Bill to average 4.0 yards per carry with multiple carries. TE was the best avg. rusher at 1/14.

EW - This kid never ceases to amaze me. I loved the sideline interview with him. I hope he's a Buffalo Bill until he retires. I've never been so quickly enamored of a player before.

DB - Didn't really see a lot of him except for his penalty. I guess the fact that he wasn't mentioned other than that means he wasn't horrible but wasn't a stand out either.

ML - I don't think much of the RB's problems tonight were the result of them as much as the OL and going against a great defense. He still bulls his way and refuses to be stopped by the initial hit and always seems to get at least two more yards than a lot of other RB's would.

FJ - He didn't look very good tonight. Once again I'm gonna blame it on the O-line going against a great D. The Bills are gonna face great D's this year so they need to learn to master their assignments.

SN - Did tonight what I expect him do for this season. He came in and caught a TD. He had one catch in the open field, IIRC.

RF - Looked A LOT better this week than last. 13 of 16 for 143 yards. Last week I was thinking that if he continued to play that way GH may pass him on the depth chart.

GH - I was really P.O.'d to find out he has no fire to push the guys in front of him. That lack of competitiveness disturbs me. It's one thing to compete hard and then graciously accept the outcome and another to just not care.

BH - If he's still eligible he'll make the PS and probably the roster until ML comes back.

MB - Probably makes the PS again.

D - A big reason for the TOP difference too. The number of three and outs was pretty good. The DB's looked great. The D line really needs AM to come into camp soon.

LM - This kid proved he was worth the 11th pick last year, IMO.

TM - Still playing at a high level. The starting CB's are better than a lot of teams have.

EL - Somehow this kid needs to get a roster spot. Can AY be traded for a 7th round pick?

KS - Looked good last week and horrible this week. Flip a coin on whether or not he makes the team.

AY - Looked decent but tonight he did not look nearly as good as he has before.

RC - Looks like a very good draft pick and is a lock to make the team.

CE - He had a sack tonight but IMO is still hanging on by his fingernails to make the team. God I hated this pick last year. :thumbdown:

Coaching - A lot better than we've seen before. Clock management was nearly perfect. The players seem to be ready to keep going and improving from what now looks like a much higher level of competence. Look for the team to cut some guys that will be picked up by other teams.

Be a lot easier if you just put the last names. Too much effort needed to decipher, only got through a third of this list. Thanks though

TEdwards - What more can you say than 10/10 and 1/14. He looked like a great field general out there commanding the O.

EWood - This kid never ceases to amaze me. I loved the sideline interview with him. I hope he's a Buffalo Bill until he retires. I've never been so quickly enamored of a player before.

DBell - Didn't really see a lot of him except for his penalty. I guess the fact that he wasn't mentioned other than that means he wasn't horrible but wasn't a stand out either.

MLynch - I don't think much of the RB's problems tonight were the result of them as much as the OL and going against a great defense. He still bulls his way and refuses to be stopped by the initial hit and always seems to get at least two more yards than a lot of other RB's would.

FJackson - He didn't look very good tonight. Once again I'm gonna blame it on the O-line going against a great D. The Bills are gonna face great D's this year so they need to learn to master their assignments.

SNelson - Did tonight what I expect him do for this season. He came in and caught a TD. He had one catch in the open field, IIRC.

RFitzpatrick - Looked A LOT better this week than last. 13 of 16 for 143 yards. Last week I was thinking that if he continued to play that way GH may pass him on the depth chart.

GHamdan - I was really P.O.'d to find out he has no fire to push the guys in front of him. That lack of competitiveness disturbs me. It's one thing to compete hard and then graciously accept the outcome and another to just not care.

BHall - If he's still eligible he'll make the PS and probably the roster until ML comes back.

MBaker - Probably makes the PS again.

LMcKelvin - This kid proved he was worth the 11th pick last year, IMO.

TMcGee - Still playing at a high level. The starting CB's are better than a lot of teams have.

ELangster - Somehow this kid needs to get a roster spot. Can AY be traded for a 7th round pick?

KSimpson - Looked good last week and horrible this week. Flip a coin on whether or not he makes the team.

AYouboty - Looked decent but tonight he did not look nearly as good as he has before.

RCorner - Looks like a very good draft pick and is a lock to make the team.

CEllis - He had a sack tonight but IMO is still hanging on by his fingernails to make the team. God I hated this pick last year. :thumbdown:

KO makes the team until Byrd healthy enough to play. On his way out though IMO.

Youboty - what can you say, I agree we should try to get something for him he has some value but we are overstocked and he is so injury prone.

Interesting thoughts on the backs, because the offense seemed to move more effectively with Jackson in the game. And of course, it's impossible to overstate the significance of Owens' absence. Heck of an adjustment by Nelson on the TD catch -- lot of TEs wouldn't have been able to do that.

Even though lynch runs tough, I am concerned about him juking to much, he caught a couple passes where he could have cut to open field but insted he tried to put a move on the guy and go thru him, he needs to read the field make a cut and go north and south! (could have been alot more YAC)

Jeah that comment surprised me as well, it may be a case of managing expectations. When I talked to him during the Superbowl party back here in the Netherlands he had a similar answer when I asked him if he would be allowed to compete for second string this year. I disregarded his comment back then as him knowing the Bills were going to sign a veteran but it still surprised me. The way he said it though made me feel he was protecting his own feelings. Hamdan has been through very rough times, including 2 severe injuries (broken collarbone and broken ankle) and a bunkruptucy as a result of his cut from the Redskins. It may be a case of him being comfortable of making the team better from the bottom up (Johnson, Jenkins, Stupar) and being happy he's still in the NFL. Would love to talk to him about it.

Jeah that comment surprised me as well, it may be a case of managing expectations. When I talked to him during the Superbowl party back here in the Netherlands he had a similar answer when I asked him if he would be allowed to compete for second string this year. I disregarded his comment back then as him knowing the Bills were going to sign a veteran but it still surprised me. The way he said it though made me feel he was protecting his own feelings. Hamdan has been through very rough times, including 2 severe injuries (broken collarbone and broken ankle) and a bunkruptucy as a result of his cut from the Redskins. It may be a case of him being comfortable of making the team better from the bottom up (Johnson, Jenkins, Stupar) and being happy he's still in the NFL. Would love to talk to him about it.

actually, I was watching walker very closely, and I really like the guy. But the holding he was doing in pass protection would never fly in a regular season game, and they couldn't run to that side of the line

Lets not overlook Jonathan Stupar here. He was doing a fantastic job at boxing out the coverage and making the tough catches over the middle. Plus, I watched him bowl over a defensive end to make some running room for Hall later in the game.

He's had one hell of a camp and an even better first two games. This guy is going to make it on this squad.

actually, I was watching walker very closely, and I really like the guy. But the holding he was doing in pass protection would never fly in a regular season game, and they couldn't run to that side of the line

Unless something changes in a hurry, we are going to have serious problems running the ball this year. This O line is probably the weakest in recent memory on run blocking.

Unless something changes in a hurry, we are going to have serious problems running the ball this year. This O line is probably the weakest in recent memory on run blocking.

Another big issue that still seems to persist is the Red Zone offense....The 1st team offense while were able to move the ball efficiently stalled in the red zone and came away with 3 points....TDs win games in this league most of the times....I am still concerned about Edwards inability to punch it in for TDs rather than settle down for FGs. They showed the same weakness last week and nothing has changed.

Good observations.

IMO Bell looked great last night. Finally saw him pancake someone. Thought he held his ground at LT and I loved that they gave him so much playing time. He still backpedals too quickly and gives up ground but he's starting to get it.

Run blocking is the easy part, they'll get there. I'm not concerned.

Wonder if the offense looked so good last night bc they essentially were playing against the same defense they practice against.

Wendling and Simpson have no business making this team. Did anyone else see Lankster chewing out Ko for not turning his head on that TD? That tells me all I need to know about both of them.

Speaking of Lankster, no way they're gonna be able to hide him on the PS, I hope they know that.

They've got some tough decisions on cut down day this year, mainly because they finally have some depth at a few positions. Agree that Stupar belongs. Mace and Bryan seem to be earning their spots as well, and I wonder if they'll have the balls to cut Ellis, who I saw quit on multiple plays last night. Will be interesting. And if they trade Roscoe and his 30 yards of instant field position so that they can keep Justin Jenkins, it will go down as one of the all-time dumbest moves by a front office with a long list of idiotic maneuvers.

Walker is not a strong run blocker. That's ok though. As long as he can protect Trent's blind side in the passing game the Bills can focus on running it between the tackles behind Levitre, Hamgartner and Wood. Overall, the running game may not be that strong though...

Walker is not a strong run blocker. That's ok though. As long as he can protect Trent's blind side in the passing game the Bills can focus on running it between the tackles behind Levitre, Hamgartner and Wood.

that's the problem, I don't thing LW can protect his blind side without holding, and you can't just run to one side

The Crowd: One of the best waves i've seen in a long time

(probably becuase all of the children got into it, annnd there was significantly less alcohol involved which has been known to throw of ones timing and lead to a sloppy and unorganized wave)

Another big issue that still seems to persist is the Red Zone offense....The 1st team offense while were able to move the ball efficiently stalled in the red zone and came away with 3 points....TDs win games in this league most of the times....I am still concerned about Edwards inability to punch it in for TDs rather than settle down for FGs. They showed the same weakness last week and nothing has changed.

I think this is probably one of the biggest things this offense needs to work on the next few weeks. This was a glaring weakness last year and they have picked up right where they left off this preseason. This problem is both on the Coaching Staff and Trent's inability to read the plays opening up quick enough. Trent, IMO, still appears to be a little late on some of the throws, though still getting them there, but just not at the opportune moment. Hopefully this will work out over the next few games because once the Cheatatriots are lined up across the ball, Trent won't have the option of being a little late.

i totall agree. Players down on the depth chart should always have to competetivenss to move up the chart or to push others for a spot....this will make everyone better...pushing guys in front of you doesn't mean you can't mentor/support as well.

Interesting thoughts on the backs, because the offense seemed to move more effectively with Jackson in the game. And of course, it's impossible to overstate the significance of Owens' absence. Heck of an adjustment by Nelson on the TD catch -- lot of TEs wouldn't have been able to do that.

The reason I said that is because on 8 carries he only got 17 yards and he only had 1 reception for 5 yards. IMO, with 8 carries he should have been able to avg. higher than 2.1 yards per carry. Marshawn's avg. was 3.2 on 3 carries and 8 yards on 3 rec.. Normally I expect to see FJ's numbers a lot closer to what ML is able to do in a game.

Even though lynch runs tough, I am concerned about him juking to much, he caught a couple passes where he could have cut to open field but insted he tried to put a move on the guy and go thru him, he needs to read the field make a cut and go north and south! (could have been alot more YAC)

I should have said on rushing plays for that. I agree about his catches.

Lets not overlook Jonathan Stupar here. He was doing a fantastic job at boxing out the coverage and making the tough catches over the middle. Plus, I watched him bowl over a defensive end to make some running room for Hall later in the game.

He's had one hell of a camp and an even better first two games. This guy is going to make it on this squad.

I guess this is the death knell for Schouman. Stupar was the leading receiver with 6 catches for 56 yards one of them going for 23 yards. TE is a big fan of Schoumans so it will interesting to see what happens on cut day.

That concerns me too. Hopefully they'll be able to improve on that. TO coming back may make the endzone problems a lot better.

Good observations.

IMO Bell looked great last night. Finally saw him pancake someone. Thought he held his ground at LT and I loved that they gave him so much playing time. He still backpedals too quickly and gives up ground but he's starting to get it.

Run blocking is the easy part, they'll get there. I'm not concerned.

Wonder if the offense looked so good last night bc they essentially were playing against the same defense they practice against.

Wendling and Simpson have no business making this team. Did anyone else see Lankster chewing out Ko for not turning his head on that TD? That tells me all I need to know about both of them.

Speaking of Lankster, no way they're gonna be able to hide him on the PS, I hope they know that.

They've got some tough decisions on cut down day this year, mainly because they finally have some depth at a few positions. Agree that Stupar belongs. Mace and Bryan seem to be earning their spots as well, and I wonder if they'll have the balls to cut Ellis, who I saw quit on multiple plays last night. Will be interesting. And if they trade Roscoe and his 30 yards of instant field position so that they can keep Justin Jenkins, it will go down as one of the all-time dumbest moves by a front office with a long list of idiotic maneuvers.

Loved Lankster last night. IMO, the Bills have to find a space for him on the 53. A rookie chewing out a three year veteran takes cajones. He was 100% right though. You're absolutely right about him not being able to get through waivers

Wendling is a ST demon. He's one of the better ST's players in the NFL. Simpson looked good last week but if he plays the rest of the games like he did this week he's a goner.

TO, Evans, Reed, SJ, JH and if they trade RP and keep JJ it will make sense to me depending on what they get for Parrish. With the other Bills receivers they can get by without RP. JMO

I think this is probably one of the biggest things this offense needs to work on the next few weeks. This was a glaring weakness last year and they have picked up right where they left off this preseason. This problem is both on the Coaching Staff and Trent's inability to read the plays opening up quick enough. Trent, IMO, still appears to be a little late on some of the throws, though still getting them there, but just not at the opportune moment. Hopefully this will work out over the next few games because once the Cheatatriots are lined up across the ball, Trent won't have the option of being a little late.

I'm not so sure about that. He went 10/10 and read that 36 yarder to LE very well and got the ball out quickly, IMO. He did get sacked twice so you do have an interesting point.

I forgot DRhodes last night. Extremely underwhelming except for his bull rush for the TD. Between the tackles it seems he offers very little. JMO