Happy Anniversary Woodstock

Chef Jim

Today is the 40th anniversary of day one of probably the most famous rock concert ever. Unfortunately being born in 1961 I was too young to have attended this or any of the other "pop festivals" of the late 60's early 70's. All I was able to attend were the local all day concerts in the park in Attica (near where I grew up), the "famous" Tulip Festivals of '78 & '79 that the band I was in at the time headlined :wallbash: and of course the Superfests at the stadium. None of which could even come close to these massive festivals.

All I have are DVDs of the concerts (Woodstock, Monterey Pop, Jimi at the Isle of White) and a CD of The Allman Brothers sets at the Atlanta International Pop Festival in 1970. But one festival that doesn't get nearly as much press is the Summer Jam in Watkins Glen in 1973. Maybe because it was just one day or only had three bands but what a show it must have been. 600,000 people (at that time a record, not sure if it still stands today) and a five hour set by the Grateful Dead (their sound check on the day before the concert tuned into a two set jam), four hour set by the Allmans and a three hour set by The Band.

So in honor of an era of music long gone, twist up a fatty, drink some cheap wine and dance naked..oh but keep the shades drawn, we don't need to see that.

Oh BTW Watkins Glen is no longer the largest. Rod Stewart holds that record. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chef Jim

Today is the 40th anniversary of day one of probably the most famous rock concert ever. Unfortunately being born in 1961 I was too young to have attended this or any of the other "pop festivals" of the late 60's early 70's. All I was able to attend were the local all day concerts in the park in Attica (near where I grew up), the "famous" Tulip Festivals of '78 & '79 that the band I was in at the time headlined :thumbsup: and of course the Superfests at the stadium. None of which could even come close to these massive festivals.

All I have are DVDs of the concerts (Woodstock, Monterey Pop, Jimi at the Isle of White) and a CD of The Allman Brothers sets at the Atlanta International Pop Festival in 1970. But one festival that doesn't get nearly as much press is the Summer Jam in Watkins Glen in 1973. Maybe because it was just one day or only had three bands but what a show it must have been. 600,000 people (at that time a record, not sure if it still stands today) and a five hour set by the Grateful Dead (their sound check on the day before the concert tuned into a two set jam), four hour set by the Allmans and a three hour set by The Band.

So in honor of an era of music long gone, twist up a fatty, drink some cheap wine and dance naked..oh but keep the shades drawn, we don't need to see that.

Well, I can do that much at least...

that link you provided is the soundcheck???????? i need to see what the actual set list was like...holy crap

Today is the 40th anniversary of day one of probably the most famous rock concert ever. Unfortunately being born in 1961 I was too young to have attended this or any of the other "pop festivals" of the late 60's early 70's. All I was able to attend were the local all day concerts in the park in Attica (near where I grew up), the "famous" Tulip Festivals of '78 & '79 that the band I was in at the time headlined :wallbash: and of course the Superfests at the stadium. None of which could even come close to these massive festivals.

Oh BTW Watkins Glen is no longer the largest. Rod Stewart holds that record. :thumbsup:

that link you provided is the soundcheck???????? i need to see what the actual set list was like...holy crap

Yes that's the sound check. After the second song I think you hear Phil say "this is just a test."

Don't know if you'll find the recording of the actual show. I've looked and have yet to find it.

i did find them a few links to at least the first set on that next day, but hadn't looked deeper yet....do a search on watkins glen and see what you come up with

Yes that's the sound check. After the second song I think you hear Phil say "this is just a test."

Don't know if you'll find the recording of the actual show. I've looked and have yet to find it.

i did find them a few links to at least the first set on that next day, but hadn't looked deeper yet....do a search on watkins glen and see what you come up with

Here's the setlist. Doesn't look like five hours worth but I hear there were some pretty long jams that day from all three bands.

Grand Prix Racecourse, Watkins Glen, NY (7/28/73)

Bertha

Beat it on Down the Line

Brown Eyed Women

Mexicali Blues

Box of Rain

Here Comes Sunshine

Looks Like Rain

Row Jimmy

Jack Straw

Deal

Playing in the Band

Around and Around

Loose Lucy

Big River

He's Gone

Truckin'

Nobody's Jam

El Paso

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Stella Blue

Eyes of the World

Sugar Magnolia

Sing Me Back Home

Not Fade Away

Mountain Jam

Johnny B. Goode

In honor of all those hippies I've gone to our local farmers market and I'm putting together a vegetarian feast.

Tortilla soup with five peppers

Baby radishes with truffle salt

Roasted eggplant with garlic and basil

Sliced tomatoes with sheep's milk ricotta drizzled with extra virgin olive oil

Grilled assorted summer squash with garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and topped with fried leeks.

Steamed baby zucchini blossoms stuffed with goat cheese with a roasted red pepper coulis

Assorted fresh figs for dessert

And for cocktails various pureed fruits with vodka, cointreau and lavender syrup

Damn, I've got some work to do.

In honor of all those hippies I've gone to our local farmers market and I'm putting together a vegetarian feast.

Grilled assorted summer squash with garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and topped with fried leeks.

Steamed baby zucchini blossoms stuffed with goat cheese with a roasted red pepper coulis

And for cocktails various pureed fruits with vodka, cointreau and lavender syrup

BTW the time it took me to make this was about the the same amount of time it took a certain someone to make a certain pasta dish. Ok...maybe a bit longer but I sure as hell hope it tasted better.

Smothered in

?