Anyone heard how far along Hardy is?

Lenigmusx

Hey I was just wondering how Hardy was progressing. Originally I thought he might be in camp in a week or two. I think he could really benefit from some time with TO because that is the model he should be following. If TO leaves after this year he will have to be TO next year. If not imagine the possibilities in the red zone. It could be like having Moss and To on the same team. If Edwards doesn't light it up we need to move on...

There's some blurbs at the tail end of the new Bills Roundup video below about Hardy's progression. He still is unable to practice with this teammates, but he's been doing individual rehab work on his knee since being at camp. Hardy said he wants to be able to play by the last preseason game. Just his hopes though, no guarantees and it would still only be about 7 or 8 months since his serious ACL injury. A doctor I am not, but most people agree it takes about 12 months to fully rehab a knee ligament tear.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...88-dd79330774ad

Interesting, somewhat, to see Jauron actually answer a question straightforward with regards to the tussle at camp yesterday. Strange.

He was legitimately running routes full speed, making cuts, coming in and out of breaks. It is on a video somewhere. He said he wants to be ready for the last preseason game, but honestly, he looked pretty damn good in the video.

Nice thing about the video is that I didn't see a brace -- and he did appear to be making quick cuts. I'm more impressed, though, with how eager Hardy is to pick TO's brain and try to learn to be a professional WR.

He was legitimately running routes full speed, making cuts, coming in and out of breaks. It is on a video somewhere. He said he wants to be ready for the last preseason game, but honestly, he looked pretty damn good in the video.

Its a lot a cost/benefit analysis the player, the team, and their docs are making. Players can sometimes do some astounding things proximate to an injury and surgery, but will do them if they need to (witness McGahee who not very long after a massive series of injuries and surgical repairs was actually able to don the sweats and do an impressive public workout to demonstrate he was draft worthy).

However, though this public showing and whatever private conversations between Bills and MaGahee's docs convinced TD to make him a 1st round pick, TD and the Bills still made the choice to hold WM out of his entire first year of potential play in order to give the knee the maximum time to heal without game day rigors.

The bottomline from this singular example is that how a player looks and how his rehab is handled can be two very different things. MaGahee, Rosenhaus, and his team did a good job having WM do much more than expected in his first public workout (after the injury and resulting surgery I think us outside uninformed observers would not have been totally shocked if he needed an amputation and the fact he looked good working out was quite a surprise).

However, just because he looked better than expected, as it turned out that the critical thing was that the Bills docs were convinced by whatever, that he had clean tears to non-weight bearing tendons and joints that a first round expenditure was justified (the Bills cost/benefit was also likely informed that they knew first hand and unlike anyone else in the NFL such as the team that traded a substantial draft pick to get him that he was likely in the road to prison after qualifying for the Pro Bowl as an alternate).

So in essence, I think the Bills are in a situation where they likely fell little need to rush Hardy a long since arguably even a healthy Hardy is probably dueling with Johnson for the #5 or #6 WR role on the team (and ironically folks like Felton Huggins are being impressive in camp). Probably the main pressure felt to see Hardy play is from Hardy himself who though he is likely uncuttable is seeing other WRs really establish roles or themselves in our new no huddle O.

bills_red reported in the Byrd thread that there is video or Hardy & Byrd practicing together in those motorized carts.

This year we need Hardy to learn how to play football in the NFL. That will come from doing yes, but I don't care if he's active for a single game. Watch, listen, ask questions then when you're ready hit the field and show us what you got. Luckily for us (I suppose) he isn't 'needed' this year. If Evans, Owens, Reed, Parrish & Johnson all stay healthy (big IF) then let the kid heal up and get confidence in the knee.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hardy's PUP'd to start the season, especially if that saves us a roster spot. We're deep at WR, and though I think he needs to be out there, I don't think OBD feels any urgency to rush him back.

Doesnt he need to miss six games if he starts out on PUP? I don't think he can practice with the team, then be put on PUP, and come back when he is ready. I think he will be on the active roster when the season starts.

The interesting cut will be whether or not Jenkins makes the team. He surely has the talent, and he is valuable on ST, it's just a matter of whether they keep seven WR and I just don't think so.

Doesnt he need to miss six games if he starts out on PUP? I don't think he can practice with the team, then be put on PUP, and come back when he is ready. I think he will be on the active roster when the season starts.

The interesting cut will be whether or not Jenkins makes the team. He surely has the talent, and he is valuable on ST, it's just a matter of whether they keep seven WR and I just don't think so.

Here are the PUP rules. Out first six weeks, can't practice for the first three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

For whatever reason, the Bills don't seem to mind shelving guys when there's a close question whether they can come back sooner than expected. It wouldn't shock me too if they PUP'd him especially if they're high on a guy like Jenkins.

Here are the PUP rules. Out first six weeks, can't practice for the first three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

For whatever reason, the Bills don't seem to mind shelving guys when there's a close question whether they can come back sooner than expected. It wouldn't shock me too if they PUP'd him especially if they're high on a guy like Jenkins.

Hardy's on a different PUP JR - active PUP. As soon as he's healthy enough to practice and clears his physical he can play.

Article

Hardy's on a different PUP JR - active PUP. As soon as he's healthy enough to practice and clears his physical he can play.

Article

I could be wrong and frequently am...but the PUP that Hardy is on does not continue into the regular season. Before week 1 they have to decide one way or the other. PUP...out 6 weeks or make him active.

I could be wrong and frequently am...but the PUP that Hardy is on does not continue into the regular season. Before week 1 they have to decide one way or the other. PUP...out 6 weeks or make him active.

You are correct sir!

Article on PUP rules

A player has to be placed on Active PUP before he begins training camp, so that's why you're seeing the stories popping up now.

A player on Active PUP can be removed from the list at any time during camp.

A player on Active PUP counts against the league mandated roster limit (currently 80).

And one of the most important rules, a player must be on Active PUP in order to be considered for Reserve PUP.

At the end of preseason, if an Active PUP player is still several weeks away from being able to play, the team may place him on Reserve PUP.

Reserve PUP players are not eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season.

Reserve PUP players do not count against the 53 man roster.

Reserve PUP players have a three week window after Week 6 to practice with the team but a roster decision must be made, either to activate to the 53 or to IR the player, within that timeframe.

This always confuses me, too. There are at least two PUPs. But the key to me on the Hardy case is whether or not he starts practicing with the team. Right now they can take him off the PUP whenever they want. But if he starts practicing, I don't think they can then put him on the PUP and take him off of it later before six weeks into the season. If he never gets off the PUP and never starts practicing, I think they have other options. But I imagine they want to get him on the field and practicing as soon as he is close to 100%, and that would be in the next two weeks.

Article

Thanks, guys. I didn't know he was on the preseason PUP.

However, I was talking about the possibility of putting him on the regular season PUP. You guys don't think that the Bills are considering it?

Thanks, guys. I didn't know he was on the preseason PUP.

However, I was talking about the possibility of putting him on the regular season PUP. You guys don't think that the Bills are considering it?

I'm sure they're considering it. I don't think they will do it if he is close to playing at 100% and they think he can contribute to the team in the first third of the season, which may be the make or break time for the team.

This is a whole boatload of conjecture but the key to this could be Xavier Omon and Jenkins. With Lynch missing the first three games of the season, the Bills are very likely to keep four RBs on the roster, with Jackson, Rhodes, and Omon joining Lynch. As long as there are no catastrophic injuries, they will have to make a hard decision on Omon when Lynch comes back because they may not want to keep four guys at the same position when only one usually plays at a time. So it's possible that they will PUP Hardy for six games, keep Jenkins and Omon, and then when Lynch comes back cut one of them, and when Hardy comes back drop the other because they are willing to keep six WR but not seven.

IMO, they keep Hardy on the active roster and he plays.