My own game notes

- Ellision actually was in on one play behind the LOS........but god he id just nowwhere to be found in coverage.

- OUR DE's were getting NO pressure

- If Poz catches that int...I think we feel a lot better about our D. Poz could have returned that a ways to nobody was even close to him

- Poz played well

- Bruce Hall needs to be cut

- Nelson isn't ready as a blocker

- 37 got clipped on the Titans trick play

- The Titans HC is a @ss for pulling out these kind of plays in a preseason game

- TO is a stud

- They should not pull L. Walker........Defenders sniff out by the time he is down field

- Bell was not a stud but he was consistant......he gave up some plays that went un noticed because the ball was out quickly

- Edwards looks really awkward when he slides.....I actually hold my breath every time he does it

- Dont look for Terrel Owens to tackle anybody if it is intercepted

- Scott makes his usual big play at safety behind the line

- One thing I noticed when we attempted to rush our down linemen......getting pressure and sacks is as much about angles and spacing as it is about first step.....it it looked like the Titans knew how to create a compact wall in front of the QB not leaving any cracks to a quick spin move or an angle to come off the edge

- The intermediate level of our defense MUST improve in coverage

- Way too much in pen into the offensive backfield......christ that was ugly

- Wood did miss assignments......on the plays he was dominant he was REALLY dominant......but he did get beat on pass protection.

- On the Leodis pick that interception didn't just happen by luck.....we were getting pressure on that play.....it was outside pressure rather then up the field pressure like the Edwards pick

- The thing about Fit vs Hamden is you just get the feeling Hamden has more of a control over the team.....you can just see with Fitz that the game is moving REALLY FAST....jittery jittery jittery. And you get the feeling that at any time GH could take a down the field shot but with Fitz you never really feel that he might go play action and take a shot..........I dont want Losman type deep field throwing but you have to at least have the threat of it

- Nick Harris is REALLY BIG for a converted safety to linebacker......totally looks bigger then Ellison....better instincts.....faster......actually WANTS to make a play and you can see it.

That was the first half....I will look at the second half later

- Ellision actually was in on one play behind the LOS........but god he id just nowwhere to be found in coverage.

- If Poz catches that int...I think we feel a lot better about our D. Poz could have returned that a ways to nobody was even close to him

- Poz played well

- The Titans HC is a @ss for pulling out these kind of plays in a preseason game

- TO is a stud

- They should not pull L. Walker........Defenders sniff out by the time he is down field

- Bell was not a stud but he was consistant......he gave up some plays that went un noticed because the ball was out quickly

- Edwards looks really awkward when he slides.....I actually hold my breath every time he does it

- One thing I noticed when we attempted to rush our down linemen......getting pressure and sacks is as much about angles and spacing as it is about first step.....it it looked like the Titans knew how to create a compact wall in front of the QB not leaving any cracks to a quick spin move or an angle to come off the edge

- Wood did miss assignments......on the plays he was dominant he was REALLY dominant......but he did get beat on pass protection.

- On the Leodis pick that interception didn't just happen by luck.....we were getting pressure on that play.....it was outside pressure rather then up the field pressure like the Edwards pick

- The thing about Fit vs Hamden is you just get the feeling Hamden has more of a control over the team.....you can just see with Fitz that the game is moving REALLY FAST....jittery jittery jittery. And you get the feeling that at any time GH could take a down the field shot but with Fitz you never really feel that he might go play action and take a shot..........I dont want Losman type deep field throwing but you have to at least have the threat of it

- Nick Harris is REALLY BIG for a converted safety to linebacker......totally looks bigger then Ellison....better instincts.....faster......actually WANTS to make a play and you can see it.

Good notes but I disagree about Fitz. 3 times he led us down to the red zone. On one throw in the endzone, he put the ball where only Reed could make a play on it. By Reed's reaction, it seems like he could have made a better play on it. He also threw one to Roscoe in the endzone on 4th down that look very catchable. Additionally, if that is TO instead of Jenkins on that one pass, it's a touchdown.

Fitz looked pretty good in his first game for a new team IMO.

- Poz played well

- TO is a stud

Interesting analysis! I love reading stuff like this because there are points that I didn't notice or focus on myself. I always wonder why professional sports writers do so little writing like this. Its always things like "the Bills have to find a way to stop long drives", etc.

I would love to see Bell get into the permanent starting lineup sooner vs. later. He will only get better and the line stronger game by game. And then Butler could help where most needed. TO may tackle more aggressively following an int. during a regular season game that means something. Based on his regular season performance last year Fitz should look more comfortable once he has been with the team a few more games. And with Edwards some people just can't slide easily. True even in baseball where there has been more than a few injuries over the years during slides.

I was at the game and had a great view of some line play being down low.

Walker has lost about 30-40 pounds I would guess. I am sure they made him lose it for the shift to left. He did overpower some guys on seal-offs, but Levitrie wasn't exactally doing much to help.

I was most impressed with McCargo. Now they had him playing into the 4th, which is scary because that can mean a team is looking for an early cut. The Titans couldn't stop him with one guy. He was shooting the gap on a regular basis and after a while they kept two on him all the time.

Chris Ellis....only noticed him for what seemed to be lackluster play. Get those arms up on the busted screen please.

Shawn Nelson......they had the play called to him in the endzone...he was open, but Fitzpatrick got flushed the other way. Nelson looks like he might be able to do what people expected from Hardy. He runs solid break offs, has long arms, and is built much better in proportion than Hardy. I can see him getting TDs if teams press Owens and Evans in the Red Zone.

The entire first team defense was SUCKING AIR! They ALL had their hands on their hips in between plays and you can tell they have had an easy camp so far. It was humid out, but I was shocked how tired they looked.

Stupar? 88 looks like a gamer.

I would trade the Jills, Kelsay and Hardy for the Titans cheerleaders.

The people of Canton were great hosts. No attitude from the security guys....everyone was pleasant, and I tailgated at a nearby home where I parked for both days and the second day they loaded me up on jello shots, beer, and some Carolina Moonshine. It's fun being around fans from all over when the game doesn't mean anything. Everyone is on "vacation".

Hey John always love reading your observations. I'll just disagree on the Fisher call. I just think they were having fun. Not trying to rub our noses in it or anything. But one thing about Fish, he always plays to win. That's why their team went 13-0 last season.

And then we have our coaches, who can't even get our guys game fit.

C

Oh and one more thing. I agree that Hamdan seems to have control and presence out there. I'd love to see him sometime this season in a game that meant something. I was a Fitz fan. But last night didn't inspire me to continue that support.

I rewatched the game too, here are my notes.

Trent Edwards- Yes the INT sucked, however TE looked poised and ran the no-huddle effectively, when the pocket collapsed he ran for the first down. We must keep him healthy or we are in big trouble.

Eric Wood- Looked ready for gameday, did get beat a couple of times, but overall a great start.

Andy Levitre- Not as disastrous as some of you are making his performance to be. For the most part he did average. He played high a lot, which caused him to be pushed around, but this is something that can be fixed. Did anyone notice he was playing in the 4th quarter?

Geoff Hangartner- Played well, got pushed around a bit, but did alright.

Terrell Owens- He looked like T.O. Which means he will be big for us.

Paul Posluszny- Looked very motivated and was in on many plays.

Xavier Omon- Wow! Outstanding playtime. We are going to be without Lynch for 3 games and we will need a 3rd RB for depth.

Shawn Nelson- Did an adequete job of blocking, but only 1 reception. Need to see more.

Ryan Fitzpatrick- Not good. While he did lead the Bills to 2 potential TD drives, he could'nt seal the deal. Needs to step up fast.

Gibran Hamdan- Had command of the field, and looked very comfortable. Deserves a shot at the back-up role.

Demetrius Bell- Played the entire first half, and looked good. Got beat a couple of times, but held his own for the most part.

Justin Jenkins- Missed out on a TD throw that he should have caught. He'll remain a gunner if he does'nt come through on those plays.

Nic Harris- Played with an agressive streak and was all over the field. Made a strong case for being a starter.

George Wilson- Was in on many tackles. More than a special teamer.

Jonathan Stupar- Good job blocking and receiving, definitely one to keep around for awhile.

Brandon Rodd- Played center for most of the game and did a good job.

Ellis Lankster- Made a couple of nice plays, but got schooled on a TD pass. Looks to be ahead of the learning curve.

Reggie Corner- Solid play overall and good job on the INT for a TD.

Corey Mace- Made a few plays and was consistent in breaking through the lines.

Alvin Bowen- Like Harris, he was all over the field and made a nice tackle for loss.

Derrick Jones- Had the Bills only sack, and showed speed off the line.

Ashlee Palmer- Only one tackle, but was in on many plays. Another agressive player.

Overall, there was good and bad. It looked like a preseason game. I think the first offense did a good job on their first series. The defense still needs to apply pressure on the QB, still a glaring omission. Let's see how they do next Saturday against the Bears.

One more thing. One big positive, the Bills had only 3 penalties.

Good notes but I disagree about Fitz. 3 times he led us down to the red zone. On one throw in the endzone, he put the ball where only Reed could make a play on it. By Reed's reaction, it seems like he could have made a better play on it. He also threw one to Roscoe in the endzone on 4th down that look very catchable. Additionally, if that is TO instead of Jenkins on that one pass, it's a touchdown.

Except for the fact that every pass Fitz threw, especially the Smoke Screens were HORRIBLE passes. They were 2 to 3 yards off the mark each time. Poor Roscoe got killed because of him.

He just doesn't throw a good ball.

L. Walker moves as fast as Michael Jackson does on sweeps.

Jeff Fisher was an a$$ for calling the fake punt on the first preseason play.

If we had done it, it would have been brilliant. It would have worried teams all year when they saw it on films, got the teams fire raging from the git-go, etc., etc. Whining about it is just sour grapes. We got beat, fair and square.

Did you watch the same game as everyone else? Fitzpatrick was cover-your-eyes awful. Poor, inaccurate passes, bad QBing, not throwing the ball down field (save 1 bad pass). He's worse than losman.

Did you watch the same game as everyone else? Fitzpatrick was cover-your-eyes awful. Poor, inaccurate passes, bad QBing, not throwing the ball down field (save 1 bad pass). He's worse than losman.

Trent was also cover-your-eyes awful. I'll never be convinced that guy is an NFL starter, sorry.

Disagree there John. I think because of pre-season he rightly decided it makes no sense injuring yourself on a meaningless int, as opposed to several times he made the tackle after a Romo pick last year alone (Steelers, Eagles and Carolina I believe are a few off the top of my head...) in regular season.

My observations.

1. DE- the worst, when Corey Mace yes Corey freaken Mace is your best DE you are in trouble- we better pray that Schobel was rusty or still injured or unmotivated because if that was his A game he should retire now and save everybody the agony and humiliation- Kelsay and Denney would both would fine as backups too bad Kelsay is getting starters money- Ellis looks more the part of a DE except for his actual game, at least people don't laugh at him anymore when he tells them he's a DE- dude please a little fire in the belly.

2. DT -not great but rays of hope - Stroud, Williams, McCargo, Johnson, and Derrick Jones all had their moments. right now I rather have an all DT line - Jones, Stroud, Williams, McCargo than any of the DEs.

3. Marshawn lose 10 of that 15 you gained- bigger is not always better

4. OL- pass blocking fair, run blocking poor- really with as many young players they have and Walker playing LT I thought they did a pretty good job.

5. Poz looked good -this might be the year I stop thinking London Fletcher is better.

6. Nick Harris must have been a huge safety because he looks like our biggest LB- Just a matter of time before he's starting.

Actually, I watched it twice. And for some reason, people are just against Fitz. He was not that bad, especially in his first game with a new team playing a weeke earlier than normal. Every starting receiver in the league would have caught that ball he threw to Jenkins. With that throw, he is looking at 90 + yards passing, a touchdown, and leading us to 13 poijts in a quarter.

trust me, there is a lot worse we could do that Fitz and he isn't in the league anymore.